Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Last sports car before upgrading to GT4/Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020 | 10:09 AM
EYEHAVEYOU
Instructor

Originally Posted by s2kspyder
Love your current cars! So nice! I will be selling the s2k partly because I don’t have space and time for 2 toys. Somehow I have a feeling I will be buying another one in the future.....
If garage space was no issue I'd 100% still have an S2K! Let's hope the prices for clean ones don't get too crazy in the future haha.

Originally Posted by joejenie
My son tracks a S2000. The car is a ton of fun and a great value.

They do make great track cars too, big wing apparently helps a lot with their oversteer tendencies. Love the rest of your garage, 997.2 RS is the dream for me. Also interesting you have a ZL1 1LE, they've caught my eye recently as well - seems like a lot of kit for the money.
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:11 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

do you think you will miss the wonderful GT3 motor?
I’ve done nearly 10k miles on the car in the past 5 months, so I feel as if I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. Phenomenal engine and car, but ready for my first open top Porsche experience. Plenty of 991.2 GT3 out there if I ever want to get another.

Although I will admit, the more my Spyder is delayed... the more I think I may keep both 🤔
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:31 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Cool garage! Are those tiles you have laid? Any problems with car on them?
No problems at all. Just use Porcelain tile. Stuff is hard. Im a homebuilder and we have been doing porcelain in garages for several years and have never repalced a cracked one. We do post tension slabs though which help.
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:33 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EYEHAVEYOU
If garage space was no issue I'd 100% still have an S2K! Let's hope the prices for clean ones don't get too crazy in the future haha.

They do make great track cars too, big wing apparently helps a lot with their oversteer tendencies. Love the rest of your garage, 997.2 RS is the dream for me. Also interesting you have a ZL1 1LE, they've caught my eye recently as well - seems like a lot of kit for the money.
That picture is a few months old. I sold the ZL1 after 3 months. Hated it. It's heavy and eats tires like candy. Had a Corvette Grandsport before that was a great track car. So went back to a Corvette. I like having different experiences.

The following users liked this post:
phefner (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:41 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

No problems at all. Just use Porcelain tile. Stuff is hard. Im a homebuilder and we have been doing porcelain in garages for several years and have never repalced a cracked one. We do post tension slabs though which help.
I never even considered tiles because no one does it in Canada. I am alittle worried about it being slippery in the winter with the snow/salt/dirt. Your thoughts? I guess I can try to find a porcelain tile with some texture. Can you use a jack on the tiles?
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:44 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

That picture is a few months old. I sold the ZL1 after 3 months. Hated it. It's heavy and eats tires like candy. Had a Corvette Grandsport before that was a great track car. So went back to a Corvette. I like having different experiences.

Wow! Dream garage! Any chance you will get the C8? Maybe when the C8 ZR1 comes out.....
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:46 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAhmed
I’ve done nearly 10k miles on the car in the past 5 months, so I feel as if I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly. Phenomenal engine and car, but ready for my first open top Porsche experience. Plenty of 991.2 GT3 out there if I ever want to get another.

Although I will admit, the more my Spyder is delayed... the more I think I may keep both 🤔
Must be nice! One is PDK and other is manual so may as well keep both!
Old 04-15-2020 | 01:54 PM
s2kspyder
Instructor

That is part of my problem, hard to keep both 2 seat sports car in the garage. They are actually one of a few cars which will keep value for many years, may even make some money if well maintained. Even though a lot of them were made, the good condition/rare ones sell for a premium. Also, a lot more people can afford a 20-40k car vs. something 100k+.

I have a 1600mm voltex wing on it, make a tremendous amount of rear downforce and makes the rear feel planted. I notice the difference on the street too when taking a corner at brisk pace. On the track, this one change can be easy 1 sec difference.
Old 04-15-2020 | 03:06 PM
Illusive991
Racer

I never even considered tiles because no one does it in Canada. I am alittle worried about it being slippery in the winter with the snow/salt/dirt. Your thoughts? I guess I can try to find a porcelain tile with some texture. Can you use a jack on the tiles?
Yeah not sure how well porcelain tiles would work up north. I had my garage floor finished with a polyaspartic coating and it's been great. Easy to clean, even the nasty build up in the spring after a full winters worth of driving and has good traction due to the flake applied. Also very durable even when working on the cars with floor jacks, jack stands, tools, etc.
Old 04-15-2020 | 04:01 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by MEM82
I also have an 06 sti. Indivia n1 race exhaust with invidia catless downpipe and Cobb tune. Love the car. However it absolutely burns through oil and gas gotten worse. I go through a quart of oil every 250 miles - that is not a joke. Ive had the mods since 9k miles and have 114k miles..
​​​​​​I've got a knocking sound and the mechanic said I need a new engine and just drive it till it quits. I just ran the oil too low. Never thrashed the car, not sure why it burns through oil.

I will get a new engine once the engine completely quits

Gt4 will be my first porsche. Thrilled!!
If you've done nothing else to it, did your mechanic ever talk to you about headgaskets? It's probably too late now if you have rod knock but that gen headgaskets weren't very good. mine started weeping at 40k on the turbo side. Usable lifespan was 60-80 it seems. If you take off the skid plate, you might be able to see oil on it. Depending on how you drive, and how often, it may also end up somewhere that isn't the skid plate.

Enjoy the GT4! Mine should be here in ~6 weeks.
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:21 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Yes, we use jacks, quick jacks, and if you can see in the picture, my lift is sitting on the tiles. Like yo said, just pick a tile with texture. painted floors are slick as well (even with silica sand in them). Tile labor is cheap in AZ, so it makes financial sense here. I can do tile floors for the same cost as painted floors. Personally, even if it was 50% more, I would pay it. We also use sealer to mix the grout instead of water which costs a little more, but grout cleans up well doing it this way.
Old 04-15-2020 | 11:22 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Wow! Dream garage! Any chance you will get the C8? Maybe when the C8 ZR1 comes out.....
I plan on getting the C8 when the z06 comes out and then will probably tarde it for the ZR1 version down the road if it makes sense. Spyder is the next add. Need another lift or two. I don't seem to sell anyhing. haha.
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:30 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I have seen tiles used in home garages out west here, not many but a few... and indeed the Porsche dealer has their show room in tile as is the entire service department.

I need to redo my shop floor, it is cracked and uneven now after an e pension 20 years ago, I also want to make a depression for my scissor lift, tiles would be awesome but as the building exists and the wall of course set, I don't think I could do a tensioner slab. (Approximately 20x30 ft)
Old 04-16-2020 | 11:59 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I have seen tiles used in home garages out west here, not many but a few... and indeed the Porsche dealer has their show room in tile as is the entire service department.

I need to redo my shop floor, it is cracked and uneven now after an e pension 20 years ago, I also want to make a depression for my scissor lift, tiles would be awesome but as the building exists and the wall of course set, I don't think I could do a tensioner slab. (Approximately 20x30 ft)
In Ontario, there may be some regulations for a cutout/depression in the floor. I think it needs to be connected to the cold room in basement and have a separate exit for safety.
Old 04-16-2020 | 12:02 PM
Jay77
Instructor

I've been without a sports car since 2012 and can't wait for my Spyder to arrive. I've had a 99 Boxster back in 2000, a 2001 Boxster S a couple years later and two '87 Ferrari 328's. The most recent was this 99 point platinum award winning one in metallic black with tan leather. The car was absolutely perfect and should have been a keeper, especially since the value shot up soon after I sold it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Jay77:
F1-GT (04-16-2020), RonLu (04-16-2020), RyuBraska (04-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Last sports car before upgrading to GT4/Spyder