Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Pedal adjustment for heel&toe

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2020 | 07:29 AM
Atomark
Intermediate

Default Pedal adjustment for heel&toe

I've been having fun with my Spyder for some time now. The autoblip works perfectly but I chose a manual for a reason 😀. I have an issue with heel &toe shifting.
The way I'm used to do heel&toe shifting is by pressing the brake with the left part of my foot, and the accelerator with the right part, and rotating my foot to adjust brake pressure combined with a downshift blip. In the Spyder, the pedals are relatively far apart and on top of that the height of the pedals is also very different: the engagement point of the brake pedal lies several centimeters above the resting position of the accelerator pedal. I am not able to do h&t because of this.
Last week the car was at the dealer to fix some small issues. I asked the dealer to adjust the pedal height so the brake pedal sits lower at the engagement point. The dealer told me that there is no adjustment for this!

Anyone ran into this same issue?

Brgds
Mark
Old 04-12-2020 | 08:58 AM
718GT4.0
User

First Porsche? Or nth?
Old 04-12-2020 | 09:25 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Funny, this must be an anatomical problem. (Or perhaps it’s a shoe problem. You’re not trying this in your stilettos are you? 😉 See the movie Happy Go Lucky) This has been discussed at great length for the 981 and 718 cars. Some people say what you say, others (including me) say the pedals are perfection. H-Ting is so easy in my 981 that it’s hard to screw up. It’s the reason I couldn’t live with a Porsche that didn’t give me the option to easily deactivate the auto blip. I hate auto blip because it’s 100% superfluous. Doing it myself is so easy and fun because the pedals are set up to absolute perfection (for me). That’s assuming they didn’t change the arrangement in the Spyder.
Old 04-12-2020 | 10:17 AM
Atomark
Intermediate

It's my fourth Porsche, but the other ones all had PDK.
Old 04-12-2020 | 10:36 AM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

I find that the brake height vs accelerator height is probably set up to work best when you are driving on track and deep into the brakes. I’m sure Porsche sets it up this way intentionally. This being said, I don’t have my Spyder yet so I can’t comment on how this differs from my experience with a 986 and 987.

When you depress the brake pedal deeply the height matches up with the accelerator pedal. For this reason I find that these cars are then a bit harder to heel and toe smoothly when driving “normally” on the street (for lack of a better description) but of course conversely they fall into place when driven hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Rockford:
Dr.Bill (04-13-2020), Mcx (04-13-2020)
Old 04-12-2020 | 11:54 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

I guess you are from BMW as this was exactly my feeling when I got my first p-car 964 3.6T... you can't use left/right sides of right foot, you have to really use heel on accelerator now with p-car~
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:03 PM
works_team
Racer

Originally Posted by Atomark
I've been having fun with my Spyder for some time now. The autoblip works perfectly but I chose a manual for a reason 😀. I have an issue with heel &toe shifting.
The way I'm used to do heel&toe shifting is by pressing the brake with the left part of my foot, and the accelerator with the right part, and rotating my foot to adjust brake pressure combined with a downshift blip. In the Spyder, the pedals are relatively far apart and on top of that the height of the pedals is also very different: the engagement point of the brake pedal lies several centimeters above the resting position of the accelerator pedal. I am not able to do h&t because of this.
Last week the car was at the dealer to fix some small issues. I asked the dealer to adjust the pedal height so the brake pedal sits lower at the engagement point. The dealer told me that there is no adjustment for this!

Brgds
Mark
Interesting, I am in beginner land when it comes to heal and toe shifting but had the same impression when trying to achieve it with the GT4 (ie did not work). I feel that the exercise with this car is more a “toe and toe” than “heal and toe” as, as you say, the height of the accelerator va brake pedal does not help and, I feel, the size of the accelerator pedal is fairly small (especially when you compare to eg a BMW, where there is a whole plank coming from the floor).

NB: I absolutely love the autoblip feature of this car though!
Old 04-12-2020 | 12:48 PM
GAZZ
Pro

My feedback is my 987.2 with PCCB for H&T is a perfect setup because when stomping on the brakes you need and it has the right height to depress the accel. I H&T this car on EVERY downshift every time I drive it. Love it.

Whereas the GT4 setup (no PCCB) in comparison is terrible. Its just all wrong and made worse by having brakes which are too hard to get them to lock. You have to apply extreme pressure. Have not measured but I think the pedals are further apart which does not help. So I gave up and just use the auto-blip.
Old 04-13-2020 | 09:54 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

I Know what you guys are saying...you will get used to rotate more your foot...but in the meantime you could get a set of adjustable pedals from Rennline.
They have the option to add little extensions to the sides and can be adjusted in a myriad of ways.
The following users liked this post:
911F1 (04-13-2020)
Old 04-19-2020 | 12:42 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Brgds
Mark

Rennline has accelerator pedal extensions that work well, sometimes too well...
The following users liked this post:
drabe (05-02-2020)
Old 04-20-2020 | 10:07 PM
TomTarzian
Rennlist Member

Here's a video of Mark Weber's footwork in the new 718 Cayman GTS 4.0.

For Christ,
TT
Old 04-21-2020 | 01:30 PM
Atomark
Intermediate

Thanks for that Webber vid! He makes it look so easy.
He uses "my" method of rotating the foot, which I cannot do in the Spyder? But I see he also moves his heel to the right just before. I'll give that a try 😎
Old 04-21-2020 | 03:12 PM
9eight7
Pro

Try to re-position your seat a little. Sometimes when I'm sitting too close or far my feet get stuck or miss the accelerator.
Old 04-22-2020 | 06:43 PM
Flacht6MT
Instructor

It's my fourth Porsche, but the other ones all had PDK.
If you're near a Porsche Experience Center, might be a fun place to learn about how to best heel / toe Porsche MT cars, and hoon their cars a bit. I agree it's a little different coming from BMW 6MT, but after the first week, it became second nature with the Porsche 6MT.
Old 04-26-2020 | 11:53 AM
works_team
Racer

Hi there - any idea whether the other way round is possible, ie raising the gas pedal a bit? Ah, and also, getting it closer to the brake pedal?

Quick Reply: Pedal adjustment for heel&toe