Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Does auto blip prevent a money shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:42 PM
drabe
Advanced

Default Does auto blip prevent a money shift?

Nice thing about pdk is the computer stops you from stupidity. Anybody know if autoblip somehow provides divine intervention?
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:17 PM
Apollo Falcon
Instructor

Originally Posted by drabe
Nice thing about pdk is the computer stops you from stupidity. Anybody know if autoblip somehow provides divine intervention?
My engineering buddy had told me that on the 991.2 with MT that it won’t let you overrev to hurt the engine but he (and I) could be completely wrong on this. Any clarification from someone who actually knows (rather than hearsay) would also be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:00 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Nope...if you grab the wrong gear (like 3rd instead of 5th) it will go in.....so don't mess your up-shifts!
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

No, you can absolutely still money shift with auto blip.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
AlexCeres (03-11-2020), JAhmed (02-29-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 10:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
No, you can absolutely still money shift with auto blip.
+1, by down shifting at too high a speed for the chosen gear. Can’t hurt anything by hitting the rev limiter on upshift.
Old 02-29-2020 | 12:35 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Rev limiter on upshifts give you Stage 1 overrevs. As was said, this doesn't hurt anything except egoes if reports are pulled.

You can absolutely still money shift. The saving grace is in Sport+ with the blip, you have a split second of tonal warning if the engine spools up beyond what you're expecting. If you're tuned in, you'll pull back and into the gear you wanted before you let off the clutch.

I'm running a 7MT, CT, with the hillbilly Sport Chrono they put in our cars whether you wanted the wart or not. I've heard nothing of the 6MT having the fairy dust over rev safety feature, my 981 CS with SC and 6MT certainly didn't have it. I tend to not regularly explore money shifting though. Bad for the Chōwa in ye olde casa...

I guess it's possible that a system could be built into the MT ECU to not disengage the clutch until the revs are back to a limit acceptable based on the gear you're in. It is based on the PDK trans, afterall, so there's room if that nanny could make it past the lawyers. That would be sweet in a modern way.

The following users liked this post:
Apollo Falcon (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020 | 02:05 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Nope. Autoblip does just that - blips the throttle on downshifts.
You shift into the wrong gear, stuff can still break.
Old 02-29-2020 | 08:48 AM
tthellott T
Instructor

only "auto-stomp" can save that, not "auto-blip"
CDACH (02-29-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 08:23 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Apples and oranges (Literally!), but thought about this thread when watching at the 13:12 bit...

Serious envy over this thing... I know my 911 can take more abuse and deliver more love than this thing ever could. But oh what a Side Piece she would be...

Apollo Falcon (03-05-2020)
Old 03-10-2020 | 11:12 AM
willskiGT
Intermediate

If you put the car in the wrong gear, it will still overrev, however, the auto blipper will not match for a shift that would put the car over redline.

So if you are trying to downshift into 4th and put it in 2nd but are not getting any match, you just leave the clutch in and save the motor. But you have to be aware of all of that happening in about half a second or less.
Old 03-10-2020 | 03:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by willskiGT
If you put the car in the wrong gear, it will still overrev, however, the auto blipper will not match for a shift that would put the car over redline.

So if you are trying to downshift into 4th and put it in 2nd but are not getting any match, you just leave the clutch in and save the motor. But you have to be aware of all of that happening in about half a second or less.
Fortunately, I've never chosen the wrong gear that would have caused an over-rev. But, I always assumed the motor would rev at redline to match as closely as possible rather than not revving. While having the motor go silent might be a more obvious signal that you're chosen an errant gear, it actually could be more dangerous when/if you release the clutch...
Old 03-11-2020 | 11:12 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
Fortunately, I've never chosen the wrong gear that would have caused an over-rev. But, I always assumed the motor would rev at redline to match as closely as possible rather than not revving. While having the motor go silent might be a more obvious signal that you're chosen an errant gear, it actually could be more dangerous when/if you release the clutch...
That is how I believed the system to work. I almost money shifted on track once during an up-shift and as soon as I heard the engine rev as the shifter passed into the gate I aborted. In that case the rev match "notification" saved me, or more specifically, my engine. Perhaps it is different in a downshifting scenario?

Last edited by sonorous; 03-11-2020 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Does auto blip prevent a money shift?