Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb
View Poll Results: What color wheels are your ordering?
Silver
28.78%
Platinum
33.09%
Black
26.62%
Gold (GT4 only)
11.51%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

What color wheels are you ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 05:37 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Depends on body color if you ask me. I've gone with silver wheels for my GT silver order Spyder. Also would take silver on a gentian blue for example but if I was going for a white car for then definitely platinum or black (I personally don't like black wheels tho)

Given the outrageous pricing for the non-silver I'd rather have then re-done post delivery if I wanted anything but the "free" silver.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:01 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by tthellott T
not sure how much for silver finish 718 GT4/Spyder wheel, all other colors are available for $4650 wheel alone set of 4
Again, no location so is this in Peso's? This is an international forum...

Are you talking about an OEM set of wheels from Porsche?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:04 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Depends on body color if you ask me. I've gone with silver wheels for my GT silver order Spyder. Also would take silver on a gentian blue for example but if I was going for a white car for then definitely platinum or black (I personally don't like black wheels tho)

Given the outrageous pricing for the non-silver I'd rather have then re-done post delivery if I wanted anything but the "free" silver.
I want Platinum Satin, and was going to go with Silver and paint them myself, but I am cutting it real fine between delivery and a already booked road trip, I guess that I should have conceded to the silver as I could have painted them upon my return... what really gets me is that the silver is free on the Spyder and the Platinum is free on the GT4!?
Old 02-27-2020, 01:21 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
I want Platinum Satin, and was going to go with Silver and paint them myself, but I am cutting it real fine between delivery and a already booked road trip, I guess that I should have conceded to the silver as I could have painted them upon my return... what really gets me is that the silver is free on the Spyder and the Platinum is free on the GT4!?
Funny isn't it. I mean we always knew that paint is paint and the dark one doesn't actually cost Porsche anything more than the silver or black or even gold probably. They order the wheels painted from their supplier at a price that is either identical or close enough to. Their profit margins aren't what they are due to being consistent. The entire options list is set up to separate you from the maximum amount of money possible. But they make stunning cars so we all go along with it, fair play.

I just ordered from a dealership nearest to where my parents live in Belgium (they don't sell the Spyders where I live as an expat) and they had no problem selling me a spyder and even giving me a 3% discount without me asking for one. All long distance via e-mail. So it's not all bad. Not until I'm a few months into ownership and the government sends me a bill for $13K to register a car that is unfriendly to the environment.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Funny isn't it. I mean we always knew that paint is paint and the dark one doesn't actually cost Porsche anything more than the silver or black or even gold probably. They order the wheels painted from their supplier at a price that is either identical or close enough to. Their profit margins aren't what they are due to being consistent. The entire options list is set up to separate you from the maximum amount of money possible. But they make stunning cars so we all go along with it, fair play.

I just ordered from a dealership nearest to where my parents live in Belgium (they don't sell the Spyders where I live as an expat) and they had no problem selling me a spyder and even giving me a 3% discount without me asking for one. All long distance via e-mail. So it's not all bad. Not until I'm a few months into ownership and the government sends me a bill for $13K to register a car that is unfriendly to the environment.
Yes a little bonus to reward your efforts to keep the economy going, here they are thinking of adding and additional 10% luxury tax on anything over $100k, but at least you know the government will spend your money wisely!
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Yes a little bonus to reward your efforts to keep the economy going, here they are thinking of adding and additional 10% luxury tax on anything over $100k, but at least you know the government will spend your money wisely!
Funniest/most frustrating part is that this isn't even the same in our entire country. We have a couple of heavily devolved regions that can decide their own road rules and taxation. A big portion of the country doesn't get the sky-high registration tax for cars with big CO2 emissions at all. So there are streets where one house would pay 13K to register a Spyder and the one next to it would maybe pay 1K as it's on the other side of an invisible border.

I'm buying this car with little intention to ever sell (I mean, how many more cars like this will Porsche ever make?) if I don't need to so spread over many years it's not really a significant cost that would stop me from making the purchase. Just annoying.

I went for basically the press car/brochure spec... GT silver with the Spyder interior and the red/bordeaux top. A bit annoying that GT silver seems to be like 80 percent of all Spyders but then I figured it's not like I'll be seeing lots of them anyway... and what looks best to me looks best.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Funniest/most frustrating part is that this isn't even the same in our entire country. We have a couple of heavily devolved regions that can decide their own road rules and taxation. A big portion of the country doesn't get the sky-high registration tax for cars with big CO2 emissions at all. So there are streets where one house would pay 13K to register a Spyder and the one next to it would maybe pay 1K as it's on the other side of an invisible border.

I'm buying this car with little intention to ever sell (I mean, how many more cars like this will Porsche ever make?) if I don't need to so spread over many years it's not really a significant cost that would stop me from making the purchase. Just annoying.

I went for basically the press car/brochure spec... GT silver with the Spyder interior and the red/bordeaux top. A bit annoying that GT silver seems to be like 80 percent of all Spyders but then I figured it's not like I'll be seeing lots of them anyway... and what looks best to me looks best.
We too have regional taxes (based on province you reside in), for example there is no provincial sales tax in Alberta, but we do in BC (British Columbia), on my Spyder it amounts to an additional 15% up to $150k then 20% after that, at least the borders are clearly known. If that luxury tax comes in I would be looking at 35% tax!

Good thing I feel as you do, I have very little intention of selling this car, that's why I have spec'd it like I did, most of everything that I want, because I agree that Porsche won't make too many more like this, likely my last chance to own a car like this.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I had similar thoughts myself. I was going to get the silver rims on my 981 Spyder painted platinum. Somehow it never happened, lol.

Sure you can get rims powder coated for less, but do you really want to be busy with that and have to drop off your new ride at some shop? The cost for a high end powder coating is $600+ so is saving $600 really worth the hassle. Plus the black and platinum rims come with colored crests which would otherwise be a couple hundred extra.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:58 AM
911 JOE
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

My Spyder is solid black and I like a subtle contrast between the body and wheels so went with platinum.... very pleased with the result.

The following 5 users liked this post by 911 JOE:
2XIPA (02-28-2020), CDACH (02-28-2020), masti99 (02-28-2020), n4v4nod (02-28-2020), UncleDude (03-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2020, 10:24 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

Brilliant. Excited for you.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:28 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Underblu
I had similar thoughts myself. I was going to get the silver rims on my 981 Spyder painted platinum. Somehow it never happened, lol.

Sure you can get rims powder coated for less, but do you really want to be busy with that and have to drop off your new ride at some shop? The cost for a high end powder coating is $600+ so is saving $600 really worth the hassle. Plus the black and platinum rims come with colored crests which would otherwise be a couple hundred extra.
i would be painting them myself, maybe $200 for paint ( enough to do 8 wheels) and I already have a second set of crested center caps. Although in the end they would be more like the finish found on the 911 T, a gloss finish instead of satin. I still plan on doing the wife's Macan wheels, we ordered it with crested caps in advance, this summer just ahead of new tires.

Still, I left the wheels on the Spyder in factory Platinum...
Old 02-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 JOE
My Spyder is solid black and I like a subtle contrast between the body and wheels so went with platinum.... very pleased with the result.

Your car looks awesome, and Platinum Satin for the wheels over PCCB brakes is perfect! That picture above is going in my folder of Spyder images as a keeper...
Old 02-28-2020, 10:58 AM
911 JOE
Track Day

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Your car looks awesome, and Platinum Satin for the wheels over PCCB brakes is perfect! That picture above is going in my folder of Spyder images as a keeper...
Thanks Westcoast

I also went for the yellow contrast stitching (with full buckets) and yellow seat belts to tie in with the PCCB's.

I collect her from my OPC next Friday and I absolutely cannot wait - I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas
Old 02-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 JOE
Thanks Westcoast

I also went for the yellow contrast stitching (with full buckets) and yellow seat belts to tie in with the PCCB's.

I collect her from my OPC next Friday and I absolutely cannot wait - I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas
Our spec is similar, brakes and wheels are the same as is the yellow deviated stitching, biggest difference will be the exterior colour, mine will me Chalk. Waiting is tough, you are almost there, right now I am expecting May.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:02 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,178 Likes on 773 Posts

Silver with coloured crests. Think the silver pops nicely on GT Silver.
The following users liked this post:
n4v4nod (02-29-2020)

Quick Reply: What color wheels are you ordering?