Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

JCR // 718 GT4 & Spyder - TITANIUM VALVED RACE PIPE

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022, 03:30 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 417 Likes on 243 Posts

Still waiting for a good home . . . I even started the titanium oxidation process and the beautiful blue hue is starting come through. Just needs someone looking for that JCR wailing tone to finish the job.

Pool not included, but the beach towel is negotiable.

Avera

EDIT: Not readily captured with lighting, but the entire RACE PIPE now has a 'powder blue' appearance from oxidation. For whatever reason, the lighting gives appearance of more greyish. Sorry, I am just a simple dude with an iPhone.

Last edited by Avera; 11-04-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:15 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,038 Likes on 461 Posts

I have never seen a photo of that unit before. I always wondered how much the resonators on my race pipe did to reduce drone. Turns out quite a lot. I can almost hear it just looking at it.

Last edited by Reedy; 11-04-2022 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Leonel (11-05-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 09:49 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Reedy
I have never seen a photo of that unit before. I always wondered how much the resonators on my race pipe did to reduce drone. Turns out quite a lot. I can almost hear it just looking at it.
Technically, I am not sure the resonators (silencers) on the 70mm Race Pipe are any 'smaller' than those on the 63mm Race Pipe? The 63mm Race Pipe has longer resonators, but the 70mm Race Pipe resonators have a larger diameter.

So, I am not certain how much more effective the 63mm Race Pipe is at scavenging drone, if at all? One thing that seems pretty well established on this forum is that the Race Pipe is not good at scavenging drone. It all depends on what you do upstream with the headers and OAPs. Dump the cats and/or GPFs and you are asking for some head banging.

If one reads the excellent thread by @Enduro_ he too has Dundon components with the 63mm Race Pipe and describes nearly identical drone that I experienced with my Dundon components and the 70mm Race Pipe.

It is for the aforementioned reason I previously mentioned the 70mm Race Pipe is best suited for (1) someone with dumped cats/GPFs and lives above 4K RPM on a track without decibel limits; (2) is drone deaf; or (3) has OEM headers/OAPs or aftermarket parts that retain cats/GPFs. Again, based on everything posted in this forum, the same seems to hold true for the 63mm Race Pipe.

So, yes, knowing what you have and what you want is very important when it comes to satisfaction with the Race Pipe. Of course, tone is subjective but the wailing, high-pitched JCR tone is hard to beat if that is what one is after.

I am not a salesman. I simply have a JCR Race Pipe if anyone is interested. Save some dime and not have to wait for JCR production. I do not think I could be any more honest when it comes to realistic expectations.

Avera

Edit: I actually performed a bit of an experiment and discussed it with Jonny. I clamped the valves open with a shaft collar and found it made absolutely no difference in anything compared to native valve control. Jonny suggested - and I agreed - the high flowing Dundon components were overwhelming the valved/silenced path. As above, you need to match what is upstream with expectations when it comes to the Race Pipe.

Last edited by Avera; 11-04-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:38 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

@Avera I've been following your exhaust journey closely as I'm looking for an exhaust for my new Spyder and have appreciated your posts.

From your research, do you have any insight into how your 70mm race pipe compares to JCR's non-silenced valved race pipe? I'm assuming same/similar tone just noticeably louder and more drone than the non-silenced version (and much more so than the silenced version) but just guessing based on the 70 vs 63mm differential. Any ideas from speaking with Jonny?

Also, would your 70mm race pipe fit both manual and PDK cars or just one or the other?
Old 11-04-2022, 10:39 PM
supershaft
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 146 Posts

If you pick up a used jcr make sure you find out what version they have (pdk or manual) because each one requires different brackets to mount
Old 11-04-2022, 10:44 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by supershaft
If you pick up a used jcr make sure you find out what version they have (pdk or manual) because each one requires different brackets to mount
Yes, thanks! That's exactly what prompted my second question.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:51 PM
DreiPedals
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rp2000r
2 person job and I have OCD so it took longer then most. I wanted all clamps a certain way and perfect alignment which took some massaging. Took me around 4 hours start to finish.
Sorry to dredge this up, but would you mind sharing photos/thoughts or a brief explanation of the way you wanted the clamps, and maybe how you arrived at the perfect alignment on this? I'm thinking about doing my own install for this upgrade. Thanks!!
Old 11-05-2022, 09:07 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@cybers3c

First, thank you for your kind words. Greatly appreciated. I have tried to be as honest as possible regarding my experiences.

Obviously, for reasons provided, the Race Pipe was not the right answer for ME. However, I am not one to throw the baby out with the bath water. In other words, the Race Pipe could be the perfect solution for anyone who knows what they want and understands what lines should not be crossed in getting to THEIR objective.

I will answer the question pertaining to PDK vs manual first, as that has a simple answer. There are not different 63mm and 70mm Race Pipes for PDK and manual. The difference is simply a small bracket that JCR provides for PDK mounting. I have PDK and have the bracket. If you have a manual, then you simply do not need or use the bracket.

As to your question pertaining to 63mm vs 70mm vs non-silenced . . . I honestly do not think there are any MAJOR differences. I THINK Jonny would state the same but am not a spokesperson for Jonny or JCR.

When I say I would not anticipate any MAJOR differences, this implies some subtle differences are to be expected.

Before going into the differences, I have no doubt they all produce that characteristic JCR tone that so many are after. It is a very high-pitched, wailing tone that literally pierces the air when you get up into the higher rev range with aggressive throttle. I anticipate the tone intensity is impacted by what is upstream of the Race Pipe, just as decibels and drone.

You already know MY outcome with the Dundon components, which entails massive piping (air flow) and a single 200 cell cat where the GPF resided on the OEM OAP. Basically, a massive straight pipe. EVERYTHING the Race Pipe had to offer went to the extremes. Decibels insane. Tone glorious. Drone insane.

As to the differences between the Race Pipe offerings, for simplicity, let us just assume OEM headers/OAPs. It is all give and take. I would anticipate the 70mm Race Pipe to give a bit more decibels than the 63mm Race Pipe given larger pipe diameters . . . and a bit more drone for the same reason and given the absence of a resonator on the 70mm Race Pipe that is present on the 63mm Race Pipe.

The same would be anticipated with the non-silenced vs silenced 63mm Race Pipe. Honestly, I do not see any advantage to the non-silenced 63mm Race Pipe over the silenced version and would not even consider it unless tracking exclusively. Even then, I am not sure the non-silenced Race Pipe would serve any purpose or advantage.

Now, once you start playing with different aftermarket headers and OAPs, you must understand the give and take on a higher level. As above, I consider the Dundon components an extreme. In-between OEM and Dundon there are too many options and outcomes to discuss. Just recognize that giving up cats/GPFs and adding pipe diameter (air flow) all have good and bad consequences . . . and that the Race Pipe is NOT an effective drone scavenger.

If I were after a bit more decibels and improved tone, I would start out with simply replacing the OEM rear box with a Race Pipe. Maybe add a valve controller, a BMC filter and call it a day. If a bit ‘more’ were still desired, I would then consider adding an aftermarket OAP option. I doubt many on this forum would ever need or want to go any further, as the decibels-to-drone compromise would probably reach its peak at that point.

Hope that helps

Avera

@supershaft
cybers3c (11-05-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
You can review the sticky up top; but the relevant bit is:

1. Only Members May Post Ads. Only current, paid Members and Site Sponsors may post Ads (i.e., any post to buy, sell, or trade anything). “Users” are not permitted to post Ads, and are encouraged to join as Members. Unless otherwise stated, these Rules apply to all Users, Members and Site Sponsors.

Note the verbiage of “any post”

Joining is cheap
Apologies . . . I cannot stick the jeanie back in the bottle, but I will not repeat the offense. In addition, I will stay in the PM lane with respect to the Race Pipe.

Avera
Old 11-05-2022, 07:19 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,374 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Apologies . . . I cannot stick the jeanie back in the bottle, but I will not repeat the offense. In addition, I will stay in the PM lane with respect to the Race Pipe.

Avera
No need for apologies…
Avera (11-05-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 03:12 PM
Ixse
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avera
hi, been reading up on your thread regarding jcr exhaust. I may be interested. Would you be willing to email me to discuss further? I just joined this forum in trying to PM you, but I can’t use such function for whatever reason. Thanks
my email: sangwon85@hotmail.com
Avera (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,038 Likes on 461 Posts

Technically, I am not sure the resonators (silencers) on the 70mm Race Pipe are any 'smaller' than those on the 63mm Race Pipe? The 63mm Race Pipe has longer resonators, but the 70mm Race Pipe resonators have a larger diameter.

So, I am not certain how much more effective the 63mm Race Pipe is at scavenging drone, if at all? One thing that seems pretty well established on this forum is that the Race Pipe is not good at scavenging drone. It all depends on what you do upstream with the headers and OAPs. Dump the cats and/or GPFs and you are asking for some head banging.
When I say resonators, I am talking about these hook shaped dead ended pipes that extend off the silenced path. Your unit doesn't have these at all. These are the parts that are designed to attenuate drone, not the silencers.

Last edited by Reedy; 11-06-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Avera (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 05:13 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 910 Posts

When I say resonators, I am talking about these hook shaped dead ended pipes that extend off the silenced path. Your unit doesn't have these at all. These are the parts that are designed to attenuate drone, not the silencers.

Those are used to tune the resonance/tone, they call them helmholtz...could help on the drone department but don't know how much (IMO a little bit).
Dundon used to have a 4th tube on the 981 GT4 header but for some reason they skipped it on the 718/982 GT4, which IMHO needs all the help it can get on the sound department.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:22 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Yep . . . I hear you and you are correct

Avera

Quick Reply: JCR // 718 GT4 & Spyder - TITANIUM VALVED RACE PIPE