Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 Spyder and GT4 allocations...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2019 | 07:36 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Default 982 Spyder and GT4 allocations...

I just got a call today from my dealer telling me that my 982 Spyder allocation just came in and now I'm torn. For what it's going to cost me to go from a nicely spec'd 981 Spyder to a perfectly spec'd 982 might not be worth the dough.

How easily are people getting allocations right now? Is the demand not what it was estimated to be?

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 12-07-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2019 | 08:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Anyone already place an order?
Old 12-09-2019 | 02:34 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

On the 718 forum, the common answer is that Porsche is planning to make all that people want. I find that hard to believe. Some are holding out for PTS and/or PDK. The noise of the 981 Spyder is what drove me to trade my near new 987 Spyder and Cayman R. If the 718 Spyder is as quiet as it's reported to be, I I'm not sure I'd want it as much (as the 981). It's the visceral experience that makes this car what it is. A 981 Spyder and a FVD tune = 412 hp. What else do you need?

The typical product life cycle model usually isn't wrong. The 981/982 are beyond the tail end of the life car's cycle. I can't imagine these new variants (which are .2 variants) will sell near as much as people think since the body is stale. Around here (Texas), many Porsche buyers with deep pockets buy the latest thing, keep it for a few months, and trade in their cars with just a few hundred miles on the odometer. Those count as new car sales, but get their second owner pretty fast. I think they love having a new car to show of every few months. Good for Porsche and the dealer that sells it twice in short order. If other markets are like here, it artificially illustrates demand.
Old 12-09-2019 | 03:59 PM
guab
Pro

I'd be a little surprised to see people having trouble getting allocations at MSRP. You may not get the first car but you shouldn't have any issue after some time. After seeing what happened with the GT3/RS this time around, I have no doubt Porsche will make plenty of them this go around. I assume the reviews are true, which tells me the car will be worse for the road, better for the track, and not sound as good. So I'd essentially be paying a ton of money for a downgrade since I don't track. For those wanting a GT4, it might be a different story. Personally, I didn't buy this car to collect, I bought it to drive. I'd drop a 4.5L in it or switch to a 987.1 Spyder before buying the new 718.

Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see how people would want to spend like $40k more for the new one. Performance is (with a manual) nearly identical and it does not sound as good. But it does have Apple Carplay! It's not like it's some huge revision looks wise either.
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:05 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
I'd be a little surprised to see people having trouble getting allocations at MSRP. You may not get the first car but you shouldn't have any issue after some time. After seeing what happened with the GT3/RS this time around, I have no doubt Porsche will make plenty of them this go around. I assume the reviews are true, which tells me the car will be worse for the road, better for the track, and not sound as good. So I'd essentially be paying a ton of money for a downgrade since I don't track. For those wanting a GT4, it might be a different story. Personally, I didn't buy this car to collect, I bought it to drive. I'd drop a 4.5L in it or switch to a 987.1 Spyder before buying the new 718.
I think I'm in the same boat. I can't see dropping $40K to go from my current Spyder to a 718 given what you've indicated. I'll probably play with a new lightly optioned Vette (Z51 and black wheels and that's it) before I'd do that.
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:16 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

keep the 981
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I owned a 981 Spyder configured the way I want I would have a hard time justifying the 718 Spyder. I’m guessing that many will fall into this category and we may not see nearly as many 981 Spyders come for sale.
Old 12-09-2019 | 04:45 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

^^ Concur with posts #4 and #6. Normal convention, probably blown with EV coming, is that Porsche would have brought out a completely new Cayman/Boxster (something not like a 981/982) before offering a new Spyder/GT4. My disappointment is that Porsche chose to upgrade a previous model, and their upgrade amounts to very little in the big scheme of things. The driving experience to your senses is just too similar. You would have to constantly tell yourself while driving down the road, but it's a 4 liter and it has upgraded aero to remind yourself you're driving a new car. You certainly don't come close to the difference of experience I had when I drove my 987.2 Spyder to the dealer and drove home a 981 Spyder.

Shame on you Porsche for regifting near the same Spyder and GT4 to the public. Even the GT suspension for the Spyder is bragging rights more so than warranted or needed. It won't make a hill of beans difference in getting from point A to B, but you'll know its different over every bump. Of course the GT4 now gets "Spyder" sound options which is a big step up. Not worth the premium to trade though. Money being no object, and if you've yet to experience these cars and find now is your time, sure go out and order a new one. But I would still recommend driving one first since the gearing issue still bothers so many people today. If you're expecting Carrera S performance in a compact chassis, you'll be disappointed.

Quick Reply: 982 Spyder and GT4 allocations...