Sponsored by:

New 718 Boxster S Owner - Drove it, Bought it

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:21 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Yeah, just you. Surprisingly, there are people out there who don't really give a large brown pile if the car has 4, 5 or 6 cylinders or if it's normally aspirated or turbocharged. They care about how it drives, how it feels, how it connects with the driver and if their phone will sync up with it.

You guys, and by that I mean all of the people complaining about the new turbo cars that they haven't driven yet, crack me up. People sell their left nut to be able to get into a 911 Turbo, and now that all 911s are turbos, they think that Porsche won't know how to do it. They do. They've been doing it for a long time.

And it's a Porsche. Not only that, it's a Boxster. Arguably one of the best handling, best driving cars in the world, regardless of price. PCNA doesn't need to troll forums to build up sales.

IMHO.
+1
Old 08-12-2016, 01:31 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

OK. But there are some of us who has driven the car and even if going in with an open mind - wouldn't buy it given a choice. Sorry... And I think this includes a lot of the professional reviewers...
Old 08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Farani
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 981spyder
The new PCM is so good! I wanna know how to retro fit this unit!
I asked Suncoast about this, and they told me it's a no go. I'm just going aftermarket...all I want is CarPlay. Going with the Alpine iLX-007.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:03 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 176 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Farani
I asked Suncoast about this, and they told me it's a no go. I'm just going aftermarket...all I want is CarPlay. Going with the Alpine iLX-007.
How sad is it that I'm hoping Porsche classic makes their radios available for cars manufactured as late as 2012?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:18 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

Congratulations, 718Owner! Looks great. Not withstanding the grumblings from us enthusiasts, 718s seem to carry on the fine tradition of being the best in their respective classes. Good choice. I have no doubt 981.2 will be successful as 981.1.

I read in one of the reviews that the exhaust sound is being piped into cabin, like in 991. Is that the case? If so, how does it sound? Is that pluggable? Not in favor of such a trickery! Would bother me, as a purist.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:16 AM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drove by the local Porsche dealership buying parts and saw a couple 718s in the lot. Great looking cars! Asked my SA how are theirs 718 sales, and she replied not as they were hoping for.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:29 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 540 Posts

did porsche experience for two days , and I had a 90 min session in the 718 S .Overall , I was very impressed.
I had a boxter s and currently have a spyder.
the power is impressive
certainly as every one hinted at, the sound is not there from inside.The one i drove did not have PSE
watching from outside when instructors took people for hot laps, the 718 s sounded pretty good
Old 08-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

This must be the second or third notice of a 718 driving event I've received in the last month or so:

Event: Porsche 718 Boxster Launch Test Drive Event
Event Date: 9/18
Event Time: 8am – 12pm

Walter’s Porsche will be hosting a Porsche 718 Boxster launch Test Drive Event at the PCA Orange Coast Auto Cross on September 18th. During this Autocross, members of the PCA will be able to put the new Porsche 718 Boxster through its paces and feel the thrill of the 718 Boxster. To get every last drop of power and excitement out this test drive Walter’s Porsche has partnered with Porsche USA to have a Professional Porsche Driver give each member a one on one driving experience during their test drive. Not only will each member get to experience the most exciting Boxster to ever be made but will gain valuable insights on how to be a better driver and get the most from their Porsches.

Usually new P-car intros involve a lot of standing around in showrooms sipping drinks, walking around the car, and waiting your turn to sit in it. I can't remember in recent history for any new Porsche intro such an emphasis by Porsche on getting people in the seat and behind the wheel of the new model in a track or auto X setting. I remember Donovan reported on a 718 track event Porsche held up in his neck of the woods and I'm sure similar 718 events are going on everywhere right now.

I have no idea how sales of the 718 are going, but sensing, perhaps, that some may have their doubts about the new engine, Porsche seems determined to put minds at rest. Cynics may view the proliferation of these 718 events as proof positive that the car has received a lukewarm reception and Porsche is scrambling, but I applaud them for their driving-focused nature. They're standing behind the product and not being shy about trying to win over the skeptical. Through these driving events they're essentially saying, "Keep an open mind and just drive the damn thing before making any judgments." That's what I plan to do.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:20 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Lots of love for the 718 coming from, of all places, a scorching review of the new Audi TTS:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...B70B78FB6FEFF9

Klein pulls no punches in a fairly atypical and blunt assessment of the Audi, and concludes his review with a section extolling the virtues of the 718 summarizing thus:

"In the end, you’ll be happier with the Cayman or the Boxster. They’re better cars, have a better nameplate behind it and you won’t feel like you’re in a slightly more expensive Volkswagen."

Hey Jonathan, tell us what you really think!
Old 08-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Lots of love for the 718 coming from, of all places, a scorching review of the new Audi TTS: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...B70B78FB6FEFF9 Klein pulls no punches in a fairly atypical and blunt assessment of the Audi, and concludes his review with a section extolling the virtues of the 718 summarizing thus: "In the end, you’ll be happier with the Cayman or the Boxster. They’re better cars, have a better nameplate behind it and you won’t feel like you’re in a slightly more expensive Volkswagen." Hey Jonathan, tell us what you really think!
As much as I loved my 2008 Audi TT Roadster, with a v6 and proper six speed manual, I never considered replacing it with the new TTS. No manual? Deal breaker for me. In fact I don't believe a manual as available on any 2017 Audi including the S4/S5. Zero regrets about my 981S purchase. Such an incredibly great car.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:48 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phil G.
No manual? Deal breaker for me. In fact I don't believe a manual as available on any 2017 Audi including the S4/S5.
Deal breaker for me, too, Phil.

The 2017 A5/S5 are the only Audis currently sold with a manual transmission and that will come to an end when the next gen A5/S5 arrives early next year as a 2018 model.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:07 AM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaduku
Drove by the local Porsche dealership buying parts and saw a couple 718s in the lot. Great looking cars! Asked my SA how are theirs 718 sales, and she replied not as they were hoping for.
That would reaffirm why they are advertising the 718 so heavily on TV. And they are sending me pormotional materials.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:05 PM
PhilNotHill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just found a nice new 718 hard cover book in the mail today. It has beautiful pics and lots of stats on the 718/s.

Wife's response: it doesn't look half as nice as our 2011 Boxster S. So far, NO SALE.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Wife's response: it doesn't look half as nice as our 2011 Boxster S. So far, NO SALE.
Poor 718s, I would have really considered buying one if they hadn't change the engine. Even if it remained the same HP.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:17 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Deal breaker for me, too, Phil.

The 2017 A5/S5 are the only Audis currently sold with a manual transmission and that will come to an end when the next gen A5/S5 arrives early next year as a 2018 model.
You're correct. And even the new TTRS coming over as a 400HP coupe will have only an automatic. Again, deal breaker for me. As great as the new automatics are (PDK, DSG etc) for me, a proper sports car requires a manual transmission. But, the millennials who are buying these cars do not want stick shift cars. Manuals will be gone completely in a few years, IMO.

Quick Reply: New 718 Boxster S Owner - Drove it, Bought it