Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topgear review of the 718

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM
ZCPSnob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 981 CS, 997.2 C4S, and now a 987.1 CS (all 6MT). Of those three, I would choose the 987.1 for the most engaging/fun to drive, followed by 981.

I went out and drove a 718 base and S (both PDK), and as is mentioned, everything is improved over the 981 except the engine. I was most impressed with steering chassis... more compliant yet capable in the corners. That said, for me, the sound and character of a NA flat 6 is what drew me to Porsche in the first place. I'm fairly young (mid 30s), and I guess if I didn't have any comparison, the turbo 4 would be OK, but no way I would ever spend money on one.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I would argue that one's opinion in aspects of our "toys" is reflective of the fact that these cars are emotional, not rational purchases. Thus "juvenile" isn't the adjective I'd use in describing anyone's opinion on any aspect of our attachment to these discretionary purchases. You should be thankful that emotions play into the equation, otherwise we'd only have such choices as Toyota Camry cars available as strict transportation appliances.

I'm a NA lover, but while at the dealer buying a Cayenne yesterday, I heard a 718S at idle and thought it sounded just fine. I could totally live with that car. But my juvenile opinion is my 981 Spyder is so much better. :-)

Being emotionally drawn to the 981 over a 718 is cool. 981 Syper is one of the coolest pcars ever made IMO. What is juvenile is acting like there is some moral imperative at play that all must prefer the 981 (not suggesting that is your opinion but it is others). Bottom line is that I love pcars period. Almost all of them. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that affinity for one flavor somehow evidences their superior (or inferior) taste.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

The same sort of snobbiness can be found with the air-cooled guys too. Some of them feel that anything water cooled is just junk, not in the spirit, etc. Frankly I've found every aircooled car I've driven (in factory, or close to factory, form...) to be pretty underwhelming. That doesn't mean I hate on them tho. Just different strokes for different folks.

Some will prefer the sound and spirit of the N/A flat-6. Some will prefer the torque and punch of the turbo-4.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Bparrott
Being emotionally drawn to the 981 over a 718 is cool. 981 Syper is one of the coolest pcars ever made IMO. What is juvenile is acting like there is some moral imperative at play that all must prefer the 981 (not suggesting that is your opinion but it is others). Bottom line is that I love pcars period. Almost all of them. I wouldn't suggest to anyone that affinity for one flavor somehow evidences their superior (or inferior) taste.
I'm with you. Moral superiority is not good when it comes to such things as this. I am picking up my 2014 Cayenne GTS tomorrow. Looking forward to adding my third NA Porsche to the garage! That V8 sounds great. BTW, prior to the Spyder I had a 996 TT. I loved that car. So I'm good with turbo and would like to try a 718 one day.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
The same sort of snobbiness can be found with the air-cooled guys too. Some of them feel that anything water cooled is just junk, not in the spirit, etc. Frankly I've found every aircooled car I've driven (in factory, or close to factory, form...) to be pretty underwhelming. That doesn't mean I hate on them tho. Just different strokes for different folks.

Some will prefer the sound and spirit of the N/A flat-6. Some will prefer the torque and punch of the turbo-4.
It's a great point you make. In fact, I have both an AC and a water cooled and they are both fun to drive. They are both Porsches. Period. As is the 718. Period.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:41 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I haven't driven a 718 but I drove an Alfa 4C and it was a bloody riot! Turbo fours can be plenty of fun!
Old 05-11-2017, 02:19 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bparrott
Like their is something virtuous about a NA car.
IT IS to some of us, especially on a sports car... even at the expense of less power. Having peak torque barely above idle just doesn't do it for me on a sports car, no matter how much power the engine makes, period. That's why I traded a basically brand-new GTR for the GTS, and although significantly slower, couldn't be happier. And yes, going from H6 to H4 is a deal-breaker too. Engine sound is a big part of sports car ownership for many of us, and once you hear the symphony of an H6 with PSE, there's simply no going back to a 4 banger. It's not snobbery or anything like that; just the way it is for some of us. I'm sure Porsche will do fine saleswise eventually.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
IT IS to some of us, especially on a sports car... even at the expense of less power. Having peak torque barely above idle just doesn't do it for me on a sports car, no matter how much power the engine makes, period. That's why I traded a basically brand-new GTR for the GTS, and although significantly slower, couldn't be happier. And yes, going from H6 to H4 is a deal-breaker too. Engine sound is a big part of sports car ownership for many of us, and once you hear the symphony of an H6 with PSE, there's simply no going back to a 4 banger. It's not snobbery or anything like that; just the way it is for some of us. I'm sure Porsche will do fine saleswise eventually.
Well I'm sure it's gonna bump up prices on used flat six Boxsters.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Well said, elp_jc. Of course, there is a flavor for everyone. Some enjoy the instant rush of power without having to wait for the RPM to climb. Some wouldn't want to shift down a notch or two to pass or to stay in optimal power and sound band. Instant gratification? May be. And, the aural perception and acceptance vary greatly too. Just like audiophiles could debate till the end of time about, well, everything sound! But, these are perfectly ok; nothing to sneer or snide at. Of course, we can debate nonetheless!
Old 05-12-2017, 06:19 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Chris Harris is very negative on it, in fact, one of the most negative reviews I've ever heard from him.

"so disappointing"
"has become a thug"
"falsified.. isn't real lovely noise"
"they've made the boxster worse"
"lack of accuracy in throttle response"
"kid in the sweet shop who's complaining of a tummy ache after getting what he asked for..."
"understeers into the corner where it didn't before"

he did say "stupidly fast".. that's good I guess.
oh.. and the roof mechanism is the "best in the class".. the roof mechanism.
concludes with "not quite as good as the one you could have bought last year"... used market for 981 will stay healthy for awhile it seems
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
It's the same as before (just like most of the rest of the car), by the way

He summed it up like most of us H6 lovers would. Surprised he didn't mention the raised fenders and hood. I didn't know that, until somebody mentioned it here. That would also be a deal-breaker for me (just like the new Mustangs). For many reasons, it seems like the GTS will be my first and last Porsche, since I'm not into 911s. Oh well.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

B...b...but the steering is 10% faster!!!11!
Old 05-12-2017, 08:44 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my friends is an absolute freak for Panamera models. He keeps asking me when I'm going to trade in the Spyder for a Panamera, like that's ever going to happen LOL.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:28 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAe8Khit4qE

Chris Harris is very negative on it, in fact, one of the most negative reviews I've ever heard from him.

"so disappointing"
"has become a thug"
"falsified.. isn't real lovely noise"
"they've made the boxster worse"
"lack of accuracy in throttle response"
"kid in the sweet shop who's complaining of a tummy ache after getting what he asked for..."
"understeers into the corner where it didn't before"

he did say "stupidly fast".. that's good I guess.
concludes with "not quite as good as the one you could have bought last year"... used market for 981 will stay healthy for awhile it seems
Loved it, the point is when you drive it, it has fantastic handling, great brakes and is very very quick. He is known as "monkey" harris for a reason..........e.g. you pay peanuts you get monkeys

Quick Reply: Topgear review of the 718