Sponsored by:

Topgear review of the 718

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
True, and I agree. I wouldn't even consider paying $100K for a well equipped 718S Boxster. I'd rather stretch and pay another $10-15K or so for a 991.2.
But a 'well equipped' 991.2 is going to be a lot more than $10-15k additional. Similar spec, the 991 is going to be about $40k more than the 718.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
Let me say this, and I have said it before... A Porsche na engine can last 27 years if really well taken care of. I treat my cars like a sail boat. Drive on nice days. Weekend getaways.

A Porsche turbo motor cant do that.
You have no idea what you're talking about. 996 Turbo. Period.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Grown men bickering over this vs. that Porsche. Good grief. Just be thankful Porsche makes an awesome midengined sports car and even more thankful if you are able to own one of any generation.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 PM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bparrott
Grown men bickering over this vs. that Porsche. Good grief. Just be thankful Porsche makes an awesome midengined sports car and even more thankful if you are able to own one of any generation.
What would a Porsche forum be if there were no bickering over "this vs. that Porsche?"
Old 05-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
You have no idea what you're talking about. 996 Turbo. Period.
If you have a 27-year-old 996 Turbo engine, you have an interesting piece of hardware indeed.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:17 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
After some thought, and a review of Chris's online Boxster S review I decided to summarise it. Here goes:

steering—fantastic

more support in the chassis—corners flatter but ride hasn’t deteriorated, comes alive with the extra torque, fantastic

can’t fault the brakes, fantastic

They’ve made the Boxster worse. This thing is inert.

Porsche has made the Boxster faster and a bit better.
There’s a whole lot more fun.

I can’t deny that for a turbo engine the throttle response is brilliant.
Lack of accuracy in throttle response.

PCM is superb.

Roof mechanism—best in class.

(Complaints about the sound--including that he can't hear the turbo whine.)

My take:
The only thing that makes sense of it all is his statement at the beginning that he’s confused.

Greg
Chris made many positive comments in his review of the 718 CS on TG, but he made it very clear he did not like the sound of the engine, exhaust and intake both (said there was minimal or no intake sound IIRC). He did say basically an overall thumbs down but later in the studio shot he said for the price bracket being discussed, it was the new sports car to buy.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 PM
pc4ever
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
If you have a 27-year-old 996 Turbo engine, you have an interesting piece of hardware indeed.
Fond memories of my 996 turbo. Only car I ever owned that needed a quart of oil every time I filled the gas tank (and was told it was normal). And the sweet smell of anitfreeze leaks from the poorly designed couplings. But on the positive - I had one of the first in my area and they were hard to get. When I traded it in, I got more than I paid for it.

But a 27 year old 996 turbo engine might be hard to find
Old 05-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RNGRJAG
What would a Porsche forum be if there were no bickering over "this vs. that Porsche?"
Fair point. But some folks act like a turbo 4 banger marks the end of the world. Same hogwash went around when pcars became water cooled.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Fair point. But some folks act like a turbo 4 banger marks the end of the world. Same hogwash went around when pcars became water cooled".

Sounds like the inside 285 outside 285 controversy.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Fair point. But some folks act like a turbo 4 banger marks the end of the world. Same hogwash went around when pcars became water cooled.
There were valid technical reasons for the move to water cooling.

The flat-four turbo was designed for marketing and regulatory reasons. It needed to be more affordable in markets subject to certain tax laws, and it it needed to be less competitive with the 911 in all markets.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:53 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

The main detraction of the new 718 (981.2, really) was the turbo engine. I just don't like the power curve of them on a sports car. But going from 6 to 4 was right below that. The soundtrack on a sports car is almost as important as its performance, for many of us. And the overall performance of my GTS is not lacking at all in any department, so absolutely no interest on the new platform, as good as it may be. But I wish Porsche success with it, but I won't be contributing to that. The only hope for another Porsche for me (my second), would be a GT3 with more creature comforts, which they appear to get with the 991.2 (memory, parking sensors, nice stereo, etc), like all other competitors have as either standard or optional. But still didn't like the last one I drove, how they feel with the engine at the rear. Maybe the RWS will sway me? We'll see. For now, will keep enjoying the excellent CGTS.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Reno 911
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pc4ever
Those who actually own the 718 love them and have nothing but praise - but heck, they don't know any better. I mean who wouldn't want a sportscar that is faster, quicker, better handling, better steering, better braking with more modern electronics than earlier models. Oh, but the sound sucks

This isn't apples to apples and Porsche's are generally quite dynamic, but the same argument was applied to the new M3. Faster, better handling, etc. - worse sound. The reality is that, although fast, the car is boring as hell except on a track. I.e., those qualities don't define if the car is engaging and fun. Not to **** on your point because I drove the 718 Cayman S and quite enjoyed it...it's just that I thought of my boring F80 M3 (relative to other offerings in the same price range) when I read the qualities you listed. My money would still go to the 981, however.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Bparrott
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
There were valid technical reasons for the move to water cooling.

The flat-four turbo was designed for marketing and regulatory reasons. It needed to be more affordable in markets subject to certain tax laws, and it it needed to be less competitive with the 911 in all markets.
All Porsche sports cars are now turbo charged except GT cars. I just don't get all the false outrage. I have owned three NA Porsche's including a 981s. 718s is better in every way and I like the sound. I frankly don't care that folks might like the 981 better, just acting like one has "soul" and the other doesn't is just juvenile. Like their is something virtuous about a NA car. Same people decry the death of the manual (that is slowly coming). I like fast. And the 718s is faster than a GT4 when they are wearing the same tires. Now that is fun as hell unless you are just a hater. But then again, I do agree that a facsimile was a good toy once upon a time and made a nice noise as it spat out paper. However, I'll take the silence of an email with a scanned document. Progress, it seems, is very difficult for many Porsche owners.

Heck, I also own a turbo charged Macan GTS and I like that one as well. Viva la Porsche. Keep making better, faster cars and I'll keep buying em.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

All Porsche sports cars are now turbo charged except GT cars. I just don't get all the false outrage. I have owned three NA Porsche's including a 981s. 718s is better in every way and I like the sound. I frankly don't care that folks might like the 981 better, just acting like one has "soul" and the other doesn't is just juvenile. Like their is something virtuous about a NA car. Same people decry the death of the manual (that is slowly coming). I like fast. And the 718s is faster than a GT4 when they are wearing the same tires. Now that is fun as hell unless you are just a hater. But then again, I do agree that a facsimile was a good toy once upon a time and made a nice noise as it spat out paper. However, I'll take the silence of an email with a scanned document. Progress, it seems, is very difficult for many Porsche owners.

Heck, I also own a turbo charged Macan GTS and I like that one as well. Viva la Porsche. Keep making better, faster cars and I'll keep buying em.
You are only addressing the turbocharged part of the change. The change that most dislike is the downgrade from a flat 6 to a flat 4. I'm happy with my car for now (2012 Black Edition Boxster S). If I do get another Porsche sports car in the future, it will have a flat 6, even if it means buying it used instead of new.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I just don't get all the false outrage. I have owned three NA Porsche's including a 981s. 718s is better in every way and I like the sound. I frankly don't care that folks might like the 981 better, just acting like one has "soul" and the other doesn't is just juvenile. Like their is something virtuous about a NA car.
I would argue that one's opinion in aspects of our "toys" is reflective of the fact that these cars are emotional, not rational purchases. Thus "juvenile" isn't the adjective I'd use in describing anyone's opinion on any aspect of our attachment to these discretionary purchases. You should be thankful that emotions play into the equation, otherwise we'd only have such choices as Toyota Camry cars available as strict transportation appliances.

I'm a NA lover, but while at the dealer buying a Cayenne yesterday, I heard a 718S at idle and thought it sounded just fine. I could totally live with that car. But my juvenile opinion is my 981 Spyder is so much better. :-)

Quick Reply: Topgear review of the 718