718 spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 08:28 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Buy it! Don't wait....

Having the LWB and paint to sample will make it that much more coveted to a collector although I must say it would be a total waste not to drive the car, it is sublime.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Yeah if the steering wheel was in the right place, I'd have to think long and hard about that one. The only downside is the lack of the 918 buckets. Don't get me wrong the standard bucket seats are nice and the fact that they fold is great in a 911 but the 918 buckets imho are just a bit more special and are perfect for the Spyder
Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Voodoo Blue is stunning! Just close your eyes and make the deal!

It is always fun to speculate next model, especially a niche model like Spyder. Interesting to observe how people think and forecast. In my view, there will be a 981.2 Spyder; and, will be NA! GT4 and Spyder will be lot more closer in terms of specs and dynamics. 981 platform's road map is all baked in. Major manufacturer like Porsche needs to lay out the product pipeline many years ahead of time; at least, at a higher level.

If you pick up this awesome Voodoo Blue now, you can always trade it, if you want to, for the next NA Spyder. The depreciation will be pretty minimal, considering the specs. The picture is unclear post-981. Expect hybrid/electric offerings. GTs and Spyder could retain a special positioning, for a foreseeable future.

Last edited by spyderphile; 05-18-2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-19-2016, 04:58 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Did it. Trigger pulled. Boom. Car should be with me by end of next week. Full spec (as far as I can remember):

981 Spyder 2016
Voodoo Blue PTS
Carbon folding buckets (heated!)
Silver interior trim
Red seat belts
Steel brakes
Basic CD stereo
No satnav (figured what the heck it's a car for getting lost in)
Satin platinum wheels
PDLS xenons
Sport Chrono

Here are a couple more pics

Will post some more and a first impressions writeup when the beast is in my hands!

One question: dealer has recommended full clear wrap to protect that precious paint. Anyone had experience with this? Worth doing? It's pretty costly but I am thinking worth it for peace of mind and ease of cleaning. And I plan to keep this car a very, very long time if it drives as well as everyone says it does! Alternative would be an annual detail. Thoughts welcome, thanks.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:10 PM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Wrap

I did the whole car in Xpel...about $4K. Worth it as the Roads in NE suck
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Underblu
Banned

Congrats, That's a gorgeous Spyder. I have no SAT NAV, don't like the wart plus technology changes so fast. I have a deposit on a 991 GT3.2 and will likely do voodoo blue PTS. While I love my 918 LWBS, having heated buckets is definitely sweet.

I had a clear bra on my 981S. I've been debating about getting it on my Spyder. It does help with certain things. But I like the look of fresh wax on paint which is something i could never replicate with a bra on. Maybe blue is easier in that regard. The bra is good against minor stone chips and such but I ended up getting curbing scrapes on the sides and dings and on the front that went through the clear bra. So to get my car factory fresh I would've needed a respray of a couple panels so a few extra stone chips at that point wouldn't have made a difference. Still it does help provide some extra protection which can't hurt.

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Did it. Trigger pulled. Boom. Car should be with me by end of next week. Full spec (as far as I can remember):

981 Spyder 2016
Voodoo Blue PTS
Silver interior trim
Red seat belts
Steel brakes
Basic CD stereo
Satin platinum wheels
PDLS xenons
Sport Chrono

Will post some more and a first impressions writeup when the beast is in my hands!

One question: dealer has recommended full clear wrap to protect that precious paint. Anyone had experience with this? Worth doing? It's pretty costly but I am thinking worth it for peace of mind and ease of cleaning. And I plan to keep this car a very, very long time if it drives as well as everyone says it does! Alternative would be an annual detail. Thoughts welcome, thanks.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:04 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Did it. Trigger pulled. Boom. Car should be with me by end of next week.
Great grab! Many congrats.

As posted in another thread that touched on the topic of a protective wrap, I chose not to for the reasons AP stated below in a recent issue of Panorama:

"I like a certain patina on cars. I would never put a wrap on a car to prevent stone chips. I'd rather think in ten years of maybe repainting it, or leaving it as is.

With those wide tires, if you use it on normal roads, there will be stones and you'll eventually get some chips. This is just like getting older, gaining a certain maturity. And it's about a car that looks seriously driven. I think that's sexier than something that stands around in a garage all the time looking brand new. So for me this is not a situation I'm lusting for, to have a car looking like new. If there's some wear and tear on the car, and if the car shows that it's used the way it should be, then it's like some wrinkles on a beautiful woman's face. It looks even more interesting. For me, at least."

Here on RL this is clearly a minority view.

Enjoy your Spyder!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Big Congrats the Magicrat !

You're going to love it and that's a rare and special colour.

Ref clear bra, I've had the front bumper and side sills and mirrors done.
All of these panels are already plastic, so I am happy I've got some extra protection on these vunerable areas, but still have the metal panels with the original finish.

I did get my detailer to do a full paint correction and Gtechniq as well as the paint finish from the factory is pretty poor !

Enjoy... You're going to have a ball
Old 05-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats!! You will love it.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:33 PM
Underblu
Banned

I agree with AP too, at least about a Patina. So many of the air cooled 911s and 356s look amazing with a little aging. Some colors actually look much better imo.

With that said, if I could buy a damage force field coating for $6k I'd buy it in a heart beat. My only issue with the clear bra is that while it does protect the paint against arrant stone chips and such, they are many other hazards that can spoil a perfect car.

I wash and wax my car religiously and use detail spray in between. I enjoy this engagement. If I had a clear bra I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Idk that's me. Still though, I may get it installed as the roads in the NY area are pretty horrific. So far nothing really in the way of stone chips but I certainly scraped the underside of my front spoiler pretty good.

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Great grab! Many congrats.

As posted in another thread that touched on the topic of a protective wrap, I chose not to for the reasons AP stated below in a recent issue of Panorama:

"I like a certain patina on cars. I would never put a wrap on a car to prevent stone chips. I'd rather think in ten years of maybe repainting it, or leaving it as is.

With those wide tires, if you use it on normal roads, there will be stones and you'll eventually get some chips. This is just like getting older, gaining a certain maturity. And it's about a car that looks seriously driven. I think that's sexier than something that stands around in a garage all the time looking brand new. So for me this is not a situation I'm lusting for, to have a car looking like new. If there's some wear and tear on the car, and if the car shows that it's used the way it should be, then it's like some wrinkles on a beautiful woman's face. It looks even more interesting. For me, at least."

Here on RL this is clearly a minority view.

Enjoy your Spyder!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:29 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Did it. Trigger pulled. Boom. Car should be with me by end of next week. ...............
One question: dealer has recommended full clear wrap to protect that precious paint. Anyone had experience with this? Worth doing? ................
Congratulations, MagicRat!! Smart move on an awesome ride! Just love the color!

I don't put any wrap or any kind of protective layers on any vehicle. I too like how a vehicle ages in all manner. Road chips and grimes add character and stories. I know the vehicles intimately since I periodically wash and detail. It's an experience. Each blemish, chip or scuff mark has a story! It's a car; just enjoy it. Spend that money on your significant-other!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:33 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

981 Spyder 2016
Voodoo Blue PTS
Silver interior trim
Red seat belts
Steel brakes
Basic CD stereo
Satin platinum wheels
PDLS xenons
Sport Chrono

Please please please get a full wrap on it. I am not an OCD person, but after just two days of driving mine because I couldn't wait patiently for the wrap appointment, I had paint chips on the front. A detail, will do nothing to help you with your paint chips... And re-spraying it will never look the same, not to mention the huge value decrease. You picked the perfect car with a perfect Speck, truly gorgeous and amazing… Now spend a little bit of extra money to get it wrapped properly and you will be so grateful that you did. One major plus side is also that you won't have swirl Marks on the paint, so washing it also becomes infinitely easier. Could I ask if you paid sticker price for it or above?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi CALexio

All 981 Spyders are fetching between £15k and £20k over MRSP over here in the UK.
Demand well out stripped availability, so many punters disappointed.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:15 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxster7
Hi CALexio

All 981 Spyders are fetching between £15k and £20k over MRSP over here in the UK.
Demand well out stripped availability, so many punters disappointed.
Yeah I paid about £15k over in the end I think, but totally worth it to me as, with the way the industry winds are blowing (auto/boosted/hybrid/self-drive/silent), I see this as a lifetime car and I'm honoured to be a Custodian of the Clutch, a Guardian of the Revs and, of course, a Keeper of the Noise.

Thanks for the advice both ways on the wrap. I am going to go for It I think. Have a colour wrap on my 911 and love the peace of mind and ease of cleaning it brings.

Looking forward to being part of the mid-engined community!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:27 AM
Underblu
Banned

Default P

My dealer deducted 500 for my clear bra protected 981S front Fender that needed a respray despite being clear bra protected. I didn't feel that was a huge value decrease.

Afaic the Porsche paint job is good but not great. Someone bought a brand new GT3 RS and had the car completely stripped and repainted in Ferrari Giallo Yellow. See the link. From what I can tell in the pictures, if I was in the market for a GT3 RS I would pay more for that car than a standard factory Speed Yellow 911 GT3 RS.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...in-beirut.html

Most high priced classic cars that have been restored, have been resprayed A well restored car is usually sold at a significant premium to an unrestored car. The question is always quality. If a respray is done well it can be undetectable. A poor job of course looks like crap and would adversely affect value.

If you hold on to a car long enough where it becomes collectable I highly doubt professional paint restoration will have much of an impact on value. Also if you hold onto a car that long, what's to say the clear bra itself doesn't cause paint or clear coat damage after X years. I don't know how I'd feel buying a 25 year old shrink wrapped car and then having to replace the original wrapper. Who knows what might happen when you peel it away from the paint. I mean have there been any thorough long term studies done. How many drugs, medical implants, not to mention other products that were well tested and seem safe turn out to have serious long term complications.

And Alex while your experience may be different, there are few things I find as uninvolving and synthetic feeling as washing a shrink wrapped car. If your getting swirl marks, youre doing it wrong or some monkey at the dealership or car wash is using an orbital sander improperly . I have a black car I wash every week and wax every month and no swirl marks. The color depth is far better unwrapped after a wax too.

Magic whatever you decide you got one hell of a gorgeous Spdyer. You have to get us some more pics when you get a chance. We want to see that baby glisten in the sun or even in the bright English overcast. Lol

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Please please please get a full wrap on it. I am not an OCD person, but after just two days of driving mine because I couldn't wait patiently for the wrap appointment, I had paint chips on the front. A detail, will do nothing to help you with your paint chips... And re-spraying it will never look the same, not to mention the huge value decrease. You picked the perfect car with a perfect Speck, truly gorgeous and amazing… Now spend a little bit of extra money to get it wrapped properly and you will be so grateful that you did. One major plus side is also that you won't have swirl Marks on the paint, so washing it also becomes infinitely easier. Could I ask if you paid sticker price for it or above?

Last edited by Underblu; 05-20-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 spyder?