Sponsored by:

PCM 4.0 disabling embedded SIM

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
gated
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM 4.0 disabling embedded SIM

Is there a way to disable the embedded SIM and completely disable telemetry for 982 vehicles with PCM 4.0? Even with an expired eSIM, the IMEI is transmitted and logged by network companies. Privacy mode limits data shared, but still doesn't disable the eSIM. Is this something that can be programmed by PIWIS?

Last edited by gated; Yesterday at 08:00 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

That's crazy. Related question: I'm not ordering Porsche Connect (which includes Nav). Will my car have that crap too, or not? Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by gated
Is there a way to disable the embedded SIM and completely disable telemetry for 982 vehicles with PCM 4.0? Even with an expired eSIM, the IMEI is transmitted and logged by network companies. Privacy mode limits data shared, but still doesn't disable the eSIM. Is this something that can be programmed by PIWIS?
I think you are talking about the VTS module. Don't listen to your salesman like others lol. If you have Porsche Connect service then it is activated. I believe that I saw a setting in PIWIS. I like to help people and not b*tch about it.
Old Today, 03:34 AM
gated
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JCtx
That's crazy. Related question: I'm not ordering Porsche Connect (which includes Nav). Will my car have that crap too, or not? Thank you.
I believe as long as it has the infotainment system (PCM), it will have cellular connectivity. Cellular connectivity requires IMEI, which is a unique identifier. As the infotainment system pings cell towers for a connection, IMEI is logged, and network providers are able to track your location based on which cell towers the car is pinging.
To be fair, your phone is doing this too.
Thanks @718socal I'll take a look with my scanner. It's not a PIWIS but a Launch X431, but hopefully it can access the relevant sections too.
Old Today, 03:57 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

I believe as long as it has the infotainment system (PCM), it will have cellular connectivity. Cellular connectivity requires IMEI, which is a unique identifier. As the infotainment system pings cell towers for a connection, IMEI is logged, and network providers are able to track your location based on which cell towers the car is pinging.
To be fair, your phone is doing this too.
Thanks @718socal I'll take a look with my scanner. It's not a PIWIS but a Launch X431, but hopefully it can access the relevant sections too.
I didn’t have Porsche Connect activated on my GTS. Do you have the VTS IMEI sticker by the driver side door jam? From my research, it is an e-sim with a built-in modem. The one from the PCM depending on MY is either a sim card or e-sim. A faulty VTS will not allow your car to start.
PS excuse my rudeness above. It was not directed at you 🙏

Old Today, 04:21 AM
gated
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 718socal
I didn’t have Porsche Connect activated on my GTS. Do you have the VTS IMEI sticker by the driver side door jam? From my research, it is an e-sim with a built-in modem. The one from the PCM depending on MY is either a sim card or e-sim. A faulty VTS will not allow your car to start.
PS excuse my rudeness above. It was not directed at you 🙏

I don't have Porsche Connect linked either. Interestingly enough, I don't see an IMEI sticker on the door jam, just the tire specs and loading specs. My PCM 4.0 has both an eSIM and a physical SIM slot, and when I tap on the LTE connection icon on the bottom left, it says embedded SIM active, and that it will be deactivated when I insert a physical SIM.

No worries, I had to do a double take until I realized it wasn't directed towards me. Though @JCTx seems to be in agreement that the concept of an always on cellular connection is crazy but true.
Old Today, 04:33 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

I don't have Porsche Connect linked either. Interestingly enough, I don't see an IMEI sticker on the door jam, just the tire specs and loading specs. My PCM 4.0 has both an eSIM and a physical SIM slot, and when I tap on the LTE connection icon on the bottom left, it says embedded SIM active, and that it will be deactivated when I insert a physical SIM.

No worries, I had to do a double take until I realized it wasn't directed towards me. Though @JCTx seems to be in agreement that the concept of an always on cellular connection is crazy but true.
I am a little confused. If you did not have Porsche Connect active then you should not see the LTE icon. For every new cars before 2022 or 2023, they offered one year free tria! for Porsche Connect. They upgraded from 3G to LTE around 2022 I believe. Yours was probably activated before. That's my guess. When you activate PC, you have to open an account with Vodaphone and give them your IMEI.
Old Today, 05:09 AM
gated
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 718socal
I am a little confused. If you did not have Porsche Connect active then you should not see the LTE icon. For every new cars before 2022 or 2023, they offered one year free tria! for Porsche Connect. They upgraded from 3G to LTE around 2022 I believe. Yours was probably activated before. That's my guess. When you activate PC, you have to open an account with Vodaphone and give them your IMEI.
Thanks for the clarification. What I meant was, I haven't paired the car with my Porsche account. I believe that's called Car Connect, separate from Porsche Connect. I got the car new a few weeks ago, and it already had internet connectivity. I guess the dealer handled the esim activation for me, I didn't have to do a thing.
The PCM 4.0 is not as advanced as the newest PCMs, so I don't really find it useful. I'd rather have the LTE modem off to limit tracking.
Old Today, 05:30 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification. What I meant was, I haven't paired the car with my Porsche account. I believe that's called Car Connect, separate from Porsche Connect. I got the car new a few weeks ago, and it already had internet connectivity. I guess the dealer handled the esim activation for me, I didn't have to do a thing.
The PCM 4.0 is not as advanced as the newest PCMs, so I don't really find it useful. I'd rather have the LTE modem off to limit tracking.
I believe you can deactivate the IMEI thru Vodafone but your telemetry data still goes thru VTS. That’s how I understand how Porsche tracks your car. Do you have a 2024 PCM without the CD player? Look in the X431 for the VTS module. If you disable the VTS, you can’t start your car.
The following users liked this post:
gated (Today)
Old Today, 05:48 AM
gated
8th Gear

Deactivating the IMEI through the carrier will disable the service, but the car will still be trying to establish a connection with cell towers, similar to a phone without a SIM card pinging towers. Thanks for the tip on the VTS module, I'll look into that. I wonder if it uses the same LTE modem as the PCM. Yes, mine has the 2024 PCM without the CD slot.
Old Today, 11:22 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Deactivating the IMEI through the carrier will disable the service, but the car will still be trying to establish a connection with cell towers, similar to a phone without a SIM card pinging towers. Thanks for the tip on the VTS module, I'll look into that. I wonder if it uses the same LTE modem as the PCM. Yes, mine has the 2024 PCM without the CD slot.
Ok now I understand why you wanna disable the the SIM card or e-sim. Good luck
Old Today, 01:09 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

I got the car new a few weeks ago, and it already had internet connectivity.
So you ordered 'Porsche Connect', right? I didn't, so it shouldn't have that. But if it does, I could always tell S/A not to activate that crap (since I won't be able to use it anyway), no? Although he might do it anyway.

Last edited by JCtx; Today at 01:10 PM.
Old Today, 08:29 PM
gated
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JCtx
So you ordered 'Porsche Connect', right? I didn't, so it shouldn't have that. But if it does, I could always tell S/A not to activate that crap (since I won't be able to use it anyway), no? Although he might do it anyway.
Is Porsche Connect an option in the configurator? I don't see it in my window sticker. I thought it was included by default for one year with a purchase of the car. However, even when it's expired and not renewed, the PCM's modem is still on and transmitting identifiable data.
Old Today, 09:13 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Porsche Connect/Nav is a $2,310 option on the configurator, under the 'Technology' tab. So if you don't order that, the car shouldn't come with a modem. Or at least it shouldn't be active, but we all know they'd be tracking us for free for the life of the car, so maybe they think it's worth that? But I'd like to know if there's a hardware difference between my car and others with the option. Or it's just a matter of activating crap. By the way, the reason I think my car might NOT have the modem, or at least don't come activated (I hope), is because there's a thread where folks explain how to 'retrofit' your car with Nav, which means activating it somehow. But the guy said that CANNOT be done with newer cars without the CD player, which are 2024s and over. So my '25 won't have a CD player for sure, and without PC, it shouldn't have a modem, a GPS antenna, or maybe both. But it'd be awesome to know the facts about that, and how it can be disabled, since I didn't order PC/Nav, so don't need a modem at all. Thanks guys.

Oh, forgot to mention, the Porsche app is a different thing, maybe to lock/unlock the car, and crap like that. But I don't plan to even download that thing on my phone, since I don't plan to renew it anyway. Will just keep MyPorsche on my computer, in case of a recall or something. And if not useful for that (or something else), might actually delete it after buying the car.

Last edited by JCtx; Today at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: PCM 4.0 disabling embedded SIM