Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2024, 08:45 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 447 Posts

IF the choice must be made between these two cars, go with the S. The miles don’t make a huge difference, but the S being two years newer does.

And if you are not in love with the S, then just keep looking. Follow your gut.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:19 AM
suvi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
IF the choice must be made between these two cars, go with the S. The miles don’t make a huge difference, but the S being two years newer does.

And if you are not in love with the S, then just keep looking. Follow your gut.
I checked and the S is exactly one year newer, my bad posted wrong info.
the gts would would cost me 66k and the S 68500 + 2500 of service and approved warranty, so I think 5k does not play for less miles and a few more options.
I also consider that via dealers gts’s are priced above
70K, and eventually the gts has a better resale value I guess just in the evenience

Last edited by suvi; 08-06-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:08 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I thought the 2.5 S and 2.5 GTS had same turbos just a different tune?
The following users liked this post:
Kram71 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 01:16 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The GTS is basically identical to mine if MT. The base stereo sucks in the context of a 90k car, it is about as good as the stereo that is in most non luxury commuters. That is to say it is servicable/loud enough/functional but not great. Seems like the GTS has the stock 2 way sport seats vs 18way in S. I am led to believe these have the same level of bolstering, just not the adjustments. I personally love them and they fit me well. I prefer simple in this sort of car but you should sit in them to see your preference. The seats are the biggest differentiator here I think since the S has the gts options. I adore the GTS alcantera like material, especially the steering wheel. I worry about it holding up, but no issues so far in 20k miles. Its not a car I would eat tacos in while driving though, and I do love tacos.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:19 PM
aeschen
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
I thought the 2.5 S and 2.5 GTS had same turbos just a different tune?
slightly larger compressor wheel on gts. Around 2mm I think. Something different about the vtg actuator as well since it is much less prone to overheating than S.
The following 2 users liked this post by aeschen:
ldamelio (08-06-2024), rasetsu (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 01:37 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

I would take the GTS because I don't care too much about car audio even though I can confirm that the base stereo system isn't good but the CPO warranty coverage would be a big plus for me. The mileage difference is negligible. As for the seats, so long as the GTS doesn't have the 14 ways, the standard sport plus seats are just as good as the 18 ways unless you really need the thigh extension because you have really long legs. I personally prefer Sport Tex over Race Tex but it's kind of splitting hairs. I have a S with most of the GTS features but a GTS is still slightly better mechanically. The power difference isn't just from a different tune.
Old 08-06-2024, 02:48 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

I stand corrected. I was under the impression the name change was due to a supplier change, but they're obviously different materials. Since I'd never get either one (ventilated leather on full leather interior instead), I didn't pay attention. But based on the pictures I saw, the sport tex seem to be the more desirable option, since it's on top of a leather interior. And race tex is simply another name for Alcantara.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:43 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 233 Posts

How do you plan on using the car? If more for date nights and road trips, the S. If more performance-related use like track days, the GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
Kram71 (08-06-2024), suvi (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 07:33 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Why only these two cars?

Relax, learn about the cars. Figure out your budget, what colors, options, etc you want. Then get the best one avail.

Race Tex vs Sport Tex seats? That’s material…what kind of seats? 2, 14, 18 way etc.

Anyway, good luck on your search. Plenty on here can offer advice
Old 08-06-2024, 08:15 PM
suvi
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Why only these two cars?

Relax, learn about the cars. Figure out your budget, what colors, options, etc you want. Then get the best one avail.

Race Tex vs Sport Tex seats? That’s material…what kind of seats? 2, 14, 18 way etc.

Anyway, good luck on your search. Plenty on here can offer advice
I’ve been searching for a used one for the past 7 months, read forums, learned almost everything on options. I was looking for for a 718 with pdk, pasm, chrono, sport plus seats, things I could barely find on a base cayman in my area so my focus switched on the s and gts models, the gts has all that plus few more things I really like.. extended leater on the dash, alcantara headlining, gt steering wheel, PTV plus a bit more power which is never bad. S models are quite rare here and here I am. My concern was that the base 2 way seats are less comfortable than the 18 way for obvious reasons and were worth spending that much more money for the few things ( seats and audio systems, ssp v burmester) abviously I’m budget limited and tired to search at this point, these two are not my perfect car for sure but I can get over some things, and lastly the color… black or gray, altough red looks great better than blue imho
Old 08-06-2024, 08:59 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
As an FYI, if you want to upgrade the sound system, you really need Bose, for what I've read. Otherwise, it'd be very challenging and expensive. Forgot the technical details, but it'd be very hard to make it work with the car controls and infotainment unit. With the Bose, you already have everything in place, including speaker locations, amplifier location and wiring, everything integrated, etc. Just look into that in depth, if you're considering the base sound system, to avoid nasty surprises. I'd still check all other options first (and wait longer if needed), but that's just me. Good luck.
You have been misinformed.

Musicar makes upgrades for both the base and the Bose system and the base system is actually easier to upgrade to to not using proprietary Bose signal processing etc. Besides, the Bose sound worse than the base so it costs more and costs more to upgrade.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:08 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Here is what Musicar said about SPP

For those that aren't familiar, SPP is the base stereo option for these cars and it's a fairly disappointing experience if you're a music enthusiast. There is no dedicated amplifier in this system so the speakers are powered directly off the internal amp board in the PCM. There are no plus sides to this. We have a serious lack of power which means the dynamics are suppressed, the detail is underwhelming, and the distortion is heavy at higher volume levels. We also have no way to compensate for the inefficiencies since the PCM only gives us basic audio adjustment. All of this adds up to a lackluster sound that doesn't complement the rest of the car in any respect.”

There is an entire thread on their upgrades.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:13 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts

In June before buying I sat in the 718 with and without the Bose. I knew the Bose was not worth the $999 so I was hoping to save the money but after sitting in the cars I did feel the Bose was an upgrade over the base so I paid the $999 for it.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:51 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Flip a coin: Heads GTS, Tails S.

Whichever side lands face up, if you feel disappointed, then get the other one.

In my book: 18-way non-alcantara >> 2-way, Burmester >> Bose and since the S has PASM, PVT, and SC the only thing the GTS has is: S/PASM (maybe), 15 extra horsepower, and a badge.

Now, if you *like* alcantara … the two-way seats, if you have 100% undamaged vertebrae are 99% as good as 18-way, so get the GTS.

In the end, do not worry about the cost difference. Worry only about which one you like best.

Quick Reply: Help me decide