Sponsored by:

2017 Cayman s for 49k

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024, 02:10 PM
mackattack
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 Cayman s for 49k

Hey everyone, just wanted to reach out to the community and see what everyone thought about this deal. Found this 2017 cayman s in Houston. Car has 40,000 miles, pdk, no sports exhaust no PASM. Full leather and chrono package. For 49k you guys think I should jump on this? Carfax does show minor damage to the rear and car has had 4 prior owners. Car was CPO up until 35k miles . Attached the Carfax

Old 07-13-2024, 03:47 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 545 Posts

Very fair price. I don't have PSE on my 18 S and have never missed it. Fetishists complain about the sound. I loved it when new and I didn't know it was a controversy. I still love the sound after 7 years still stock exhaust and still Soundaktor fuse plugged in.

I also didn't have PASM and never missed it until I moved into the more advanced run groups on track. There is the gap in the wheel well without PASM. This bothers some people cosmetically. Again, never bothered me. I did do camber plates and then coilovers, but again, that was all for function and not appearance.

So a thumbs up from me. Independent PPI if you can. Things to check are CV joint boots and water pump.

Happy hunting!

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-13-2024 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mackattack (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 04:08 PM
mackattack
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Very fair price. I don't have PSE on my 18 S and have never missed it. Fetishists complain about the sound. I loved it when new and I didn't know it was a controversy. I still love the sound after 7 years still stock exhaust and still Soundaktor fuse plugged in.

I also didn't have PASM and never missed it until I moved into the more advanced run groups on track. There is the gap in the wheel well without PASM. This bothers some people cosmetically. Again, never bothered me. I did do camber plates and then coilovers, but again, that was all for function and not appearance.

So a thumbs up from me. Independent PPI if you can. Things to check are CV joint boots and water pump.

Happy hunting!
Thanks for reading! I’m new to Porsche, should I look into an extended warranty? Or just save on the side for emergencies? I’ve read the 718 are pretty reliable.
ldamelio (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 04:26 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mackattack
Thanks for reading! I’m new to Porsche, should I look into an extended warranty? Or just save on the side for emergencies? I’ve read the 718 are pretty reliable.
Extended warranty is a personal decision depending on risk tolerance, finances, etc. These cars are incredibly robust. The two things I mentioned are the only things that occur with any known but low frequency and both are much cheaper than an extended warranty, especially when done by a good independent mechanic and not a dealer. My approach would simply be awareness that there's an outside chance of a $1000 or so repair on top of routine maintenance. Emphasis on the outside.
mackattack (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 06:38 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't believe much on 'extended warranties' (in reality, they're service contracts), especially if not backed by the manufacturer. Rather save that money, and use it on a repair, if needed, like @Idamelio mentioned. Having said, that, I'd absolutely include a PDK fluid change right away (as well as all other fluids), since you don't know how the car was treated/maintained. And a PPI (preferably from an independent source) is a must as well, including an ECU report, to make sure engine wasn't tuned, and stock boost levels, and/or rev limit exceeded. That'd throw the typical reliability out the window. I'd never consider a used car, let alone with 40K miles (ha ha), but it's a SUBSTANTIAL savings over a new one, and chances are, it should be a smart financial decision. Best of luck.
mackattack (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024, 07:57 PM
mackattack
6th Gear

Originally Posted by JCtx
I don't believe much on 'extended warranties' (in reality, they're service contracts), especially if not backed by the manufacturer. Rather save that money, and use it on a repair, if needed, like @Idamelio mentioned. Having said, that, I'd absolutely include a PDK fluid change right away (as well as all other fluids), since you don't know how the car was treated/maintained. And a PPI (preferably from an independent source) is a must as well, including an ECU report, to make sure engine wasn't tuned, and stock boost levels, and/or rev limit exceeded. That'd throw the typical reliability out the window. I'd never consider a used car, let alone with 40K miles (ha ha), but it's a SUBSTANTIAL savings over a new one, and chances are, it should be a smart financial decision. Best of luck.

so 40k miles is a lot for this model in particular?
Old 07-13-2024, 08:35 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

40k is more than average because most of these are weekend cars; not in any mechanical sense and not specific to this model. As you get into the Porsche world, you will find this to be the case in general. Most P sports car owners have other vehicles for daily use, and there are the fetishists who rub them with diapers but rarely drive them. Guess what - this gets them little to nothing in added resale value and they miss the whole point of owning such magnificent machines.

I'm at 50k on mine and beat the snot out of it on the track 25+ days a year; I have friends with more miles and double the track days. Nothing but maintenance and consumables. I did have a slight CV joint leak, but clearly related to tracking and easily fixed inexpensively. No reason they can't go 200k or more miles like any quality modern car. Agree with JCtx suggestions as a great way to fully vet the car - I would pass if significant over revs or a prior tune. A couple of hundred $ for a PPI is a much better investment than a warranty. Check the regional forums here for recommendations for a good independent in your area for the PPI.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-13-2024 at 08:41 PM.
mackattack (07-13-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 06:35 AM
mtregan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a 2017 718 base model with 40,000 miles last year for $49,000. Looks to be same spec as this car so for an S I'd say you are getting a good deal. 40,000 miles is nothing for this car at 7 years old. Porsche built these cars to be driven year round, just like any other car. Probably 95% of these cars have never seen a track, been over revved, had a tune installed, etc. Most people baby these cars. I bought my 718 and a 981, both used without a PPI. Haven't had a problem with either. If you like the car, thinks it's a good value, get it. They are great cars and a blast to drive.
Old 07-14-2024, 09:29 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Agree fully. Only question remaining for OP is whether he thinks PPI worth it. Only a small percentage of cars are abused, but they're out there. I'd do it, but that's a value judgment.
mackattack (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 11:09 AM
mackattack
6th Gear

Originally Posted by mtregan
I bought a 2017 718 base model with 40,000 miles last year for $49,000. Looks to be same spec as this car so for an S I'd say you are getting a good deal. 40,000 miles is nothing for this car at 7 years old. Porsche built these cars to be driven year round, just like any other car. Probably 95% of these cars have never seen a track, been over revved, had a tune installed, etc. Most people baby these cars. I bought my 718 and a 981, both used without a PPI. Haven't had a problem with either. If you like the car, thinks it's a good value, get it. They are great cars and a blast to drive.

Thanks for your insight! I work from home and plan on using this as a “daily” I wouldn’t say I drive as much as the average person. So I did decide on a PPI just for the peace of mind.
Draxx (07-14-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 10:36 AM
madsedan
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I just bought a 2018 S, manual with PTV and PSE, really no other options, a real "enthusiast spec" build with he PTV and manual seats and no premium package.
Rare color and single owner with clean carfax and records, 22k miles, for $54k which is a good price for the combo I bought.
I'd say the fact you have sport chrono/full leather interior/premium package that $49k is a good price as well, you can add pipes easily, I can never add sport chrono lol.

Quick Reply: 2017 Cayman s for 49k