Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Classic Porsche color or something flashier?
Subdued
41.67%
Flashy
58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Yet another config poll . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 09:50 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
It is the current zeitgeist. The sharing of very private matters and personal information with pictures in a public manner with complete strangers. After all, if it is not captured on social media, can it be true? Carry on old chaps and don't mind this curmudgeonly scientist. I do have issues it seems. I will admit to not being current with the times.
Well... I mean you don't have to question yourself over this. We all have our preferences. This is a forum and opinions are what it is filled with 99% of the time.
The following users liked this post:
JP66 (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:18 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

That Peridot R was so awesome. I understand, you gotta do what you gotta do, but that thing was so awesome! 😢

1. the turbo wheels look good but I think they will probably be a pain to clean.
2. I don’t think I’d go for the carbon steering wheel because I don’t like the smooth areas. I feel like they might get slippery if my hands were wet or sweaty. Will probably also get really hot in the summertime/direct sunlight. In fact, that’s one of the reasons why I went race Tex in my convertible. If you’re going for the carbon fiber look, I’d also then get the carbon fiber shift **** to try to get some more of that shiny silver out of the cabin.
3. I’d get the smoker package because I don’t like the little hole in the center area, I think it looks nicer and more finished with the door.
4. it’s a little spendy, but I’d paint match the headlight cleaning nozzle because stock it comes chrome and I think it won’t look as good. Other option might be black to match the door handles which you can do yourself later I suppose.
5. I’d go for the gas cap because the stock one looks so plain Jane and makes me sad, as I know I’ll buy it eventually anyways.
6. I get removing the rear badging because it is really busy, I don’t know if you just want to be stealth? If it’s too busy, I’d consider the paint matched badging for the rear. I don’t think the GtS4.0 on the sides is too invasive, I like it and would leave it on.
7. I’m not a fan of the Porsche navigation so I’d leave that off. If you’re going to do it anyway, I would add the voice control.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:09 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by silverscooby27
That Peridot R was so awesome. I understand, you gotta do what you gotta do, but that thing was so awesome! 😢

1. the turbo wheels look good but I think they will probably be a pain to clean.
2. I don’t think I’d go for the carbon steering wheel because I don’t like the smooth areas. I feel like they might get slippery if my hands were wet or sweaty. Will probably also get really hot in the summertime/direct sunlight. In fact, that’s one of the reasons why I went race Tex in my convertible. If you’re going for the carbon fiber look, I’d also then get the carbon fiber shift **** to try to get some more of that shiny silver out of the cabin.
3. I’od get the smoker package because I don’t like the little hole in the center area, I think it looks nicer and more finished with the door.
4. it’s a little spendy, but I’d paint match the headlight cleaning nozzle because stock it comes chrome and I think it won’t look as good. Other option might be black to match the door handles which you can do yourself later I suppose.
5. I’d go for the gas cap because the stock one looks so plain Jane and makes me sad, as I know I’ll buy it eventually anyways.
6. I get removing the rear badging because it is really busy, I don’t know if you just want to be stealth? If it’s too busy, I’d consider the paint matched badging for the rear. I don’t think the GTS 4.0 on the sides is too invasive, I like it and would leave it on.
7. I’m not a fan of the Porsche navigation so I’d leave that off. If you’re going to do it anyway, I would add the voice control.
Really, really like the thoughtful suggestions, Thanks!
My thoughts:

1) I agree 100% with your comment on keeping the turbo wheels clean, and if there is any change I am considering then the wheels are top of the list.
2) Interesting note on the steering wheel. My current vehicle has the racetex wheel and I am a fanatic when it comes to hand positioning while driving and the 9 and 3 positions are now worn smooth and the smooth racetex just feels weird so I'm hoping the carbon fiber will feel more natural in it's smooth iteration.
3) I'll plug it into the configurator and have a look. Thanks for the thought!
4) I actually had the headlight cleaning nozzle selected to be body colored, but when you select "Sport Design Pkg in High Gloss Black" it disallows that selection.
5) Didn't even know that was an option. So now I'll take a look
6) The logo deletes are because I am trying for a "classy" look that is 100% plain Jane de-identified wolf in sheep's clothing look. I want folks to say "Hey that's a nice looking Boxster; not too flashy; just right for an old dude" Seems to me GTS on the side would negate that and if I'm deleting the rear badge keeping the side badging seems counterintuitive.
7) The navigation is a must because as I learned with my current car it's the only way to get the Porsche Precision Track app which is the only way to get brake data without a major investment. However, Voice control is an interesting comment. I have it in my 2023 Golf R and like it a lot so maybe I should consider that here as well.

I still have this other config t'eed up that I can zip off in a second, but so far I feel classy over flashy will continue to win the day in my mind not to mention I found photos and reviews of the press release car in Chalk that helped solidify my ideas.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRNI1EP8

and the adds from 2021:

MotorTrends

Car & Driver

Last edited by JP66; 03-02-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:44 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Originally Posted by JP66
I still have this other config t'eed up that I can zip off in a second, but so far I feel classy over flashy will continue to win the day in my mind not to mention I found photos and reviews of the press release car in Chalk that helped solidify my ideas.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRNI1EP8
I think this “flashy” version is definitely a good choice. It adds an element of excitement and exclusivity to the car you otherwise don’t get with neutral colors. To each his own, but a silver Porsche with silver wheels, grey calipers, black interior is totally forgettable. Some ppl like it like this I understand where attention is unwanted, but a fun, convertible sports car provides a platform to be a little more indulgent in your choices. Case in point, ppl love your peridot Cayman R.

The only thing I would change about your flashy spec would be to cut down on some of the red. I would personally have the safety bars in black (not black gloss), delete the interior pieces in red, keep the grey stitching, keep the guards red seat belts and change the chrono clock to a guards red. This way, the attention is placed on the exterior of the car where the red is supposed to be the main character and then the interior can highlight a few pieces to match it vs washing the whole car in red.

I would also ditch the Pcar nav as it’s far inferior to the apps on your phone. Food for thought
Old 03-03-2024, 09:50 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MOGI
I think this “flashy” version is definitely a good choice. It adds an element of excitement and exclusivity to the car you otherwise don’t get with neutral colors. To each his own, but a silver Porsche with silver wheels, grey calipers, black interior is totally forgettable. Some ppl like it like this I understand where attention is unwanted, but a fun, convertible sports car provides a platform to be a little more indulgent in your choices. Case in point, ppl love your peridot Cayman R.

The only thing I would change about your flashy spec would be to cut down on some of the red. I would personally have the safety bars in black (not black gloss), delete the interior pieces in red, keep the grey stitching, keep the guards red seat belts and change the chrono clock to a guards red. This way, the attention is placed on the exterior of the car where the red is supposed to be the main character and then the interior can highlight a few pieces to match it vs washing the whole car in red.

I would also ditch the Pcar nav as it’s far inferior to the apps on your phone. Food for thought

I have to admit that I find every day that passes I lean more towards pulling the trigger on the flashy build. Funny silly detail - part of my reason for holding back is that I already changed my build like 4 times, and I don't want the salesman to think I'm coo-coo, but then again it's probably too late for that so who am I kidding, LOL. All I can say is good thing I have 'til April. EDIT: I did look at your idea of no color on the Safety Bars and interior trim, and I agree so latest tweak awaiting a potential "trigger pull". (Plus it saves a few bucks.)

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRU2IIY5

Final note, as I mentioned above the nav is a must because it's the only way to get access to the Porsche Precision Track app. I really wanted that app and was sorely disappointed to learn it wasn't available in my current car. It's all about brake data which is arguably the most important data for improving one's lap times in my estimation.

Thanks for the gentle nudge

(Also - minor note - I did move off the original GT Silver. My current final build at the dealership is Chalk: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR7YNPU1 )

Anyone with Porsche Precision Track app Experience

I do have Harry's Lap timer and it's pretty good, but the addition of brake data would be fantastic. Here's my best lap last year at a Lime Rock Drivers Club day:

Last edited by JP66; 03-03-2024 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MOGI (03-03-2024)
Old 03-07-2024, 10:24 PM
MOGI
Advanced

Originally Posted by JP66
EDIT: I did look at your idea of no color on the Safety Bars and interior trim, and I agree so latest tweak awaiting a potential "trigger pull". (Plus it saves a few bucks.)

(Also - minor note - I did move off the original GT Silver. My current final build at the dealership is Chalk: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR7YNPU1 )
I do think the current spec you have - chalk version - is a nice spec. IMO, I think flat paint (such as chalk) looks better w/ satin black wheels - as it comes standard on the GTS. However, I did see that you already owned a GTS 4.0 boxster in white w/ those wheels and a similar theme I've mentioned before, so I can appreciate your wanting to change it up. I think what you do have it great and you should go for it if you wanted to try out a classier spec. Truth be told a Porsche is a Porsche and to everyone but the 1% on RL, it's going to be badass. Look forward to seeing it!
Old 08-08-2024, 01:39 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Default It's here :)

Took a little longer than expected as it came to me via Isringenhaus in Illinois, but I couldn't be happier with the end product. Of course, one will be biased by ones selection, but I will say I love this spec especially the color, 18 ways, and smoking pkg minor detail (thanks to those that recommended it!). Can't wait to get through the break-in period and take this on the track!!

Also put my name in with my local dealer for an RS allocation. It's a long shot I know, but heh I didn't expect to get a BGTS allocation either. Here's my planned build if I'm lucky enough: The Dream Machine Config

Last edited by JP66; 08-08-2024 at 01:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JP66:
bobbyp (08-09-2024), doug_999 (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 03:45 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Those wheels look great, and I had them on my 981 GTS, but were a biatch to clean, so won't get that 'busy' design anymore. Car looks great; hope you enjoy it. And as far as RS allocations, you can probably get it anywhere... BUT you have to be willing to pay the outrageous ADM dealers are asking. Remember when Porsche didn't allow dealers to mark up vehicles, but those days are gone, after corporate owners revolted en masse. At least my local dealer gives local people preference, for obvious reasons (to also benefit from service).

Quick Reply: Yet another config poll . . .