Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Sofas or buckets in a '24 never to be sold.
Are you kidding? Buckets baby!
45.57%
Be real. Old dudes need sofas.
54.43%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Buckets or Sofa?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 03:25 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,576 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I've had all 3 seats, and one thing that rarely gets mentioned with the bucket seats is how much more interesting the ride is. You can feel *more*, and that is a good thing in a Porsche. I'd get the buckets if were to order a GTS again.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:24 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
I am unsure about the latter, but the former is almost certainly true -- he's just trying to up his commission. The 18 ways are significantly higher than the 2 ways when they are both in their lowest position, presumably due to the additional motors. Considering you'd probably like to sit as low as possible at the track, his motive is pure $.
exactly how much more money is the salesman going to make in this scenario? what percentage do you believe they give to the salesmen on each sale? honestly, tell us all what you think the added amount of money will be to the salesman on a $2,800 upgrade. even if it were 10%, which we all know it isn't or everyone in the world would be selling porsches, a $280 bump in commission hardly seems likely. so tell us, what percentage do you think it is?

while there may be some truth to what you are thinking but i highly doubt it was mentioned purely to increase a commission. the op was deciding between 2way and buckets and the 18way is the closest thing to buckets without getting them due to the added motion and support they offer.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:19 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by nineball
exactly how much more money is the salesman going to make in this scenario? what percentage do you believe they give to the salesmen on each sale? honestly, tell us all what you think the added amount of money will be to the salesman on a $2,800 upgrade. even if it were 10%, which we all know it isn't or everyone in the world would be selling porsches, a $280 bump in commission hardly seems likely. so tell us, what percentage do you think it is?

while there may be some truth to what you are thinking but i highly doubt it was mentioned purely to increase a commission.
I would be shocked if there were not some internal metric tracking salesmen and how profitable they can option their customer's cars, not to mention the extra commission. Regardless of how much or how little of a monetary incentive the salesman has, he still has a monetary incentive. Sales is about as cold as it gets, it is all about the bottom line. For the vast majority of people that may think their SA is "on their side", he/she is almost certainly not. I wonder how many people hung up the phone, thought they were "next on the list!", and the SA's next phone call went to another customer who was willing to pay that ADM.

Originally Posted by nineball
the op was deciding between 2way and buckets and the 18way is the closest thing to buckets without getting them due to the added motion and support they offer.
I'm not following you here...added motion?

Last edited by justince; 02-29-2024 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:01 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by justince
I would be shocked if there were not some internal metric tracking salesmen and how profitable they can option their customer's cars, not to mention the extra commission. Regardless of how much or how little of a monetary incentive the salesman has, he still has a monetary incentive. Sales is about as cold as it gets, it is all about the bottom line. For the vast majority of people that may think their SA is "on their side", he/she is almost certainly not. I wonder how many people hung up the phone, thought they were "next on the list!", and the SA's next phone call went to another customer who was willing to pay that ADM.

I'm not following you here...added motion?
I think by added motion he was referring to buckets being better at keeping one secure in high G corners.

I had a chance to drive my car to my local dealer and sit in the 18 ways yesterday. Obviously having had buckets in both my R and my current BGTS I am very familiar with them. Truthfully I think it boils down to body size. For me the buckets are an absolute perfect fit, and on track they hug me like a dedicated Recaro racing seat (almost ). BUT . . . the 18 way seats do offer added support in the thigh and shoulder area over the 2-way. So . . . just my opinion here . . . but after trying all 3 I arrived at the conclusion that 18 ways are superior for tracking than 2 ways. Also, 18 ways are significantly easier to get out of versus buckets. The one thing I obviously couldn't test is comfort on a long trip. I have driven my BGTS with buckets on a 5.5 hour trip to Maine several times and it wasn't a problem, but I'll be very interested to see if I notice a difference with my new car and seats this summer.

Anyways, thanks again to everyone who posted here. I'm certain this debate will continue on for many years to come, but at least for me I've made my choice . . . 18-ways it is

My Final spec:
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR7YNPU1

Last edited by JP66; 03-01-2024 at 10:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MOGI (03-01-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 05:31 PM
AlfaQV2019
Track Day

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m on my second 718 Spyder, first one had sofas and now I have buckets. I’ve put less than half as many miles in the bucket seat car in the same time period bc getting in out is such an annoyance (5k at 9mo vs 2400 at 9mo). Especially when there’s another car parked next to you and can’t fully open the door as someone else also pointed out.

On the other hand, once you’re seated I honestly think they’re more comfortable than the 718 sofas. The sofas side and shoulder bolstering were placed awkwardly and dug into my back and didn’t even provide much lateral support. They’re just easier to live with for the sake of ingress and egress. Both seats are flawed. If you will be doing daily driving I’d get the sofas. If this is just a fun weekend car go with buckets for the look and experience. You may be driving a 718, but you’re sitting in 918 seats.

I dream of getting a Spyder RS allocation and daily driving it and every time I build one I choose sofas if that tells you anything.

Last edited by AlfaQV2019; 03-03-2024 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:02 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 374 Posts

I’ve had both 4 Ways and Buckets. I’ll always go buckets if they’re a factory option. The sofas are a great seat but I find the buckets extremely comfy, like I’m being cradled by a giant hand.

The buckets also allow easy changing of inserts to keep things “fresh”. Also for the price that buckets command on the second hand market, in a couple years you could always sell them for $10k+ and switch to Sofas for $3k

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following users liked this post:
gt3rs. (03-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Buckets or Sofa?