Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Sofas or buckets in a '24 never to be sold.
Are you kidding? Buckets baby!
45.57%
Be real. Old dudes need sofas.
54.43%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Buckets or Sofa?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 08:21 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

Nice choice, you can scratch this off your bucket list.
The following users liked this post:
LeftLane50mph (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 08:28 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Nice choice, you can scratch this off your bucket list.

I'm pretty sure it's all due to help from a fellow RLer who put in a good word for me, but I feel incredibly lucky and thankful for the opportunity. The delivery date is in July, and I have major surgery in May so I'm hoping to be fully healed by delivery day that way I can get some awesome track time with it in summer and fall at least. It's fantastic to have goals because it helps maintain a positive attitude. Really, really can't begin to say thank you enough to this forum and the help I got. Just incredible!

Last edited by JP66; 02-23-2024 at 08:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JP66:
cbracerx (02-23-2024), neteng101 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:14 PM
LeftLane50mph
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

I vote for buckets.

If I want a relaxing seat, I will drive a different car. Or hire a black car, depending on your stage in life….
Old 02-23-2024, 11:58 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 300 Posts

LWB physically harm my spine. Seats are a very personal and genetic choice.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:53 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Might be an unorthodox opinion, but the 2 way sport seat plus's are kinda sleeper. They're actually lighter than the carbon buckets (might be wrong? thought I read that somewhere), they go lower than the 18 ways, and they let you retain heated seats which, to me, is so nice to have in a vert'.
maschinetheist (02-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 11:45 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by justince
Might be an unorthodox opinion, but the 2 way sport seat plus's are kinda sleeper. They're actually lighter than the carbon buckets (might be wrong? thought I read that somewhere), they go lower than the 18 ways, and they let you retain heated seats which, to me, is so nice to have in a vert'.
I was pretty set on buckets, but your post made me revisit my decision, and I must admit looking at a price tag of $6k less which actually translates to about $6.5k after tax in NY, I'm doubting my decision . . . again, LOL. Money really isn't primary in my thoughts as anyone following along with my other posts knows this is sorta a "bucket list" item and money really doesn't matter, BUT I do like the idea of being able to alter the tilt, AND the real reason I went with buckets originally was with the assumption that I could but in a 5 point harness, but that turned out to be impossible so really my primary reason other than looks is moot which once again should lean me towards simple standard seats. Anyways, thanks for that post. Just writing my thoughts down here helps immensely.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:22 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I had 2-way Sport Plus seats in past two cars, they're great. Bolsters are good enough for mild track work (better than sofas). Just note that if you have sciatic nerve pain you may have to some breaks.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:38 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JP66
I was pretty set on buckets, but your post made me revisit my decision, and I must admit looking at a price tag of $6k less which actually translates to about $6.5k after tax in NY, I'm doubting my decision . . . again, LOL. Money really isn't primary in my thoughts as anyone following along with my other posts knows this is sorta a "bucket list" item and money really doesn't matter, BUT I do like the idea of being able to alter the tilt, AND the real reason I went with buckets originally was with the assumption that I could but in a 5 point harness, but that turned out to be impossible so really my primary reason other than looks is moot which once again should lean me towards simple standard seats. Anyways, thanks for that post. Just writing my thoughts down here helps immensely.
My .02, FWIW

I totally understand getting buckets. They absolutely make the car feel more race-y in a way the 18 ways and 2 ways don't. I actually fit quite well in them and I strongly considered it myself; ultimately what deterred me was not the price, but the lack of heated seats. Living in the northeast and having a convertible, heated seats are critical for extending top down season. In conjunction with the heated wheel, they let me have the top down March thru November, and to me, that's huge. If the buckets were heated, I would have gotten them 100%.

But there isn't a world where I'd consider the 18 ways over the 2 ways....they are the same seat, and if the two ways in their non-adjusted way fit you comfortably, you're just adding weight and burning cash.

Last edited by justince; 02-27-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:20 AM
MOGI
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the basic 2 ways in my car and it’s great. It’s much easier getting in and out and they are comfortable. The ability to adjust the back is a plus too. I don’t ever think about my seats when I’m driving spiritedly (for any car) so I take that to mean that it doesn’t really matter (to me) at the end of the day.
justince (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:47 AM
JP66
Burning Brakes

My .02, FWIW

I totally understand getting buckets. They absolutely make the car feel more race-y in a way the 18 ways and 2 ways don't. I actually fit quite well in them and I strongly considered it myself; ultimately what deterred me was not the price, but the lack of heated seats. Living in the northeast and having a convertible, heated seats are critical for extending top down season. In conjunction with the heated wheel, they let me have the top down March thru November, and to me, that's huge. If the buckets were heated, I would have gotten them 100%.

But there isn't a world where I'd consider the 18 ways over the 2 ways....they are the same seat, and if the two ways in their non-adjusted way fit you comfortably, you're just adding weight and burning cash.
Hmmm, you got me thinking. Originally, I submitted a final build with 2-ways, but the salesman I'm dealing with via email implied that the 18-ways could be "adjusted" for more support on the track, but truth be told I have never sat in 18-ways. Maybe I can stop by my local dealership and see if they have 18-ways to try out because honestly I was thinking what you said about 2-ways being virtually identical to 18-ways was the reality, but the salesman's comment made me second guess that. I'd hate to think he's simply upselling an add-on. Perhaps he's relying on others comments and doesn't really have personal experience. Anyways, still time to change my mind on seats . . . again, LOL.

Quick question for the forum as well.

Does the 2024 model still have heated seats?

I see the buttons for seat heat in the pics, but for the life of me I can't find heated seats mentioned in any of the option listings. Am I just not looking in the right place? Is it simply standard on the GTS with Sport Seat Plus?

Last edited by JP66; 02-28-2024 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:09 AM
justince
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, you got me thinking. Originally, I submitted a final build with 2-ways, but the salesman I'm dealing with via email implied that the 18-ways could be "adjusted" for more support on the track, but truth be told I have never sat in 18-ways. Maybe I can stop by my local dealership and see if they have 18-ways to try out because honestly I was thinking what you said about 2-ways being virtually identical to 18-ways was the reality, but the salesman's comment made me second guess that. I'd hate to think he's simply upselling an add-on. Perhaps he's relying on others comments and doesn't really have personal experience. Anyways, still time to change my mind on seats . . . again, LOL.

Quick question for the forum as well.

Does the 2024 model still have heated seats?

I see the buttons for seat heat in the pics, but for the life of me I can't find heated seats mentioned in any of the option listings. Am I just not looking in the right place? Is it simply a given with Sport Seat Plus?
I am unsure about the latter, but the former is almost certainly true -- he's just trying to up his commission. The 18 ways are significantly higher than the 2 ways when they are both in their lowest position, presumably due to the additional motors. Considering you'd probably like to sit as low as possible at the track, his motive is pure $.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:18 AM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 300 Posts

I am unsure about the latter, but the former is almost certainly true -- he's just trying to up his commission. The 18 ways are significantly higher than the 2 ways when they are both in their lowest position, presumably due to the additional motors. Considering you'd probably like to sit as low as possible at the track, his motive is pure $.
18 Ways allow for a lower line of sight/effectively lower seating position as you recline significantly more. I spent 2 hours back and forth at the dealer sitting in LWB and 18 ways. LWB are horrible unless track only IMO. The egress and ingress is just silly and they're simply too upright. If LWB's were as great as everyones claims they are they wouldn't be buying angle brackets, side bolster protectors and P1 inserts. The reality is most people are googly eye for exposed CF and must tick the LWB box for this reason only, damn the practicality.
MOGI (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:58 AM
MOGI
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 41 Posts

but the salesman I'm dealing with via email implied that the 18-ways could be "adjusted" for more support on the track, but truth be told I have never sat in 18-ways.
​​​​​… I'd hate to think he's simply upselling an add-on
It is true that the 18 ways are more supportive in certain ways, like the thigh bolsters and the lumbar support. However, I do feel that the salesman is speccing the car for his bottom line - why wouldn’t he I guess… this brings up another point in that, most salesmen gently nudge you to spec a car that they know will sell for a higher profit as a used car (hoping that they’ll get it back from you in a few years). Don’t spec the car for the next person, but do sit in the 18 ways and judge for yourself

My thought for getting 2 ways is that, there are less moving parts - less to go wrong/less to fix in the future, significantly cheaper and lighter

Old 02-28-2024, 12:16 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

I wouldn't say the 2-way and 18-way are the same seat -- although they are both described as Sport Seats Plus and have the same shape. The 18-ways have an almost infinite adjustment ability in many areas not present in the 2-ways -- that is a significant difference both on-off track.

I wouldn't care about seat weight in one of these cars, but I would care about the best seat available for my use.

2-way
Driver and front passenger seats with raised side bolsters on seat cushion as well as extended backrest side bolsters for additional shoulder support. Seats feature electric adjustment of seat backrest with manual adjustment of fore/aft position and seat height.

18-way
Driver and passenger seats with raised side bolsters on seat cushion and extended bolsters on seat backrest for additional shoulder support. Driver's seat features memory function of seat position and side mirrors as well as individual setting such as lights, wipers, climate control, door lock setting, on-board computer and PCM. Front seats offer electric adjustment of:
Seat backrest
Seat height
Fore/aft position
Seat cushion inclination
Seat cushion depth
Lumbar support (4-way)
Seat cushion side bolster
Backrest side bolsters
neteng101 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 03:12 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I wouldn't say the 2-way and 18-way are the same seat -- although they are both described as Sport Seats Plus and have the same shape. The 18-ways have an almost infinite adjustment ability in many areas not present in the 2-ways -- that is a significant difference both on-off track.
I have 18-ways, length of the seat cushion plus adjusting the lower and upper side bolsters to tighten the grip is huge, and seat angle tilt for that right angle between your legs and the pedals. Couldn't imagine why anyone would spec 14-ways though other than for easier entry (marginally). Never been much of a person for lumbar support but 18-ways is the best for getting that glove like fit, with LWBS you either fit or not quite in them and you're looking at spacers if the recline angle is not just right.

Last edited by neteng101; 02-28-2024 at 03:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Buckets or Sofa?