Sponsored by:

Buying my first porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 03:25 PM
swaruppatra
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying my first porsche

I received my allocation for a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and this locks down at the end of May. So far, my configuration looks like:

Shark Blue
20'' Black wheels
Manual Transmission
Espresso / Cognac interior (interior trim in leather)
18 way seats (ventilated)
Bose
Premium package

Porsche build code: PRXVINI4

Since this is the first time I'm buying a porsche and also my first new car since 2008, I wanted to get feedback on this configuration. Anything worth considering changing?

Thank you very much.

The following users liked this post:
opencar (05-22-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 04:34 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 901 Likes on 402 Posts

Nice!! congrats!!
everything is perfect, especially the 6MT, but I personally would do a chalk or black interior...it is much more modern and sportier imo and goes much better with a color like shark blue
but it is what you like, not me or others....just my .02 cents

how much is the ADM if you don't mind me asking?
pkalhan (05-21-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 04:42 PM
swaruppatra
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Nice!! congrats!!
everything is perfect, especially the 6MT, but I personally would do a chalk or black interior...it is much more modern and sportier imo and goes much better with a color like shark blue

So far, the dealer has told me there will not be a mark-up. This has been consistent from the time I got on the waitlist (April 2022) till the time I received my allocation which was about 3 weeks ago. I sign documents etc in a few days when this locks down and I'm hopeful there are no surprises then. I was considering chalk if not for the espresso / cognac interior. I've been going back and forth. This is one of the only things I've been struggling with locking down. I saw the espresso / cognac in an aventurine green in person and really liked it. Having a very hard time trying to picture it in a shark blue though. Do you have more pictures of the black / chalk interior? I haven't seen that either but looks good on the configurator.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:59 PM
Silversurfr
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Have a 2024 CGTS on order. Look at the pictures provided by the last poster. One car has the smoking package the other doesn’t. I don’t smoke but ordered my car with. Looks cleaner and you get an additional plug.
Old 05-21-2023, 08:25 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 550 Posts

Agree with both above. Smoking package always even though most of us don't smoke. While I usually don't comment on aesthetics. cognac and shark blue are an uncommon match (for a reason) and may minimize resale customer base. If it's a forever car and you like it, however, go for it.
pkalhan (05-21-2023)
Old 05-21-2023, 09:43 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Nice!! congrats!!

Agree with this...Chalk with the Shark Blue.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:27 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 922 Likes on 368 Posts

I have the Chalk leather interior on my Shark Blue GTS and love it.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
pkalhan (05-22-2023), SunnySF (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 12:09 PM
SunnySF
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Some minor options to consider:
Power Steering Plus - Not required, but nice if you want easier steering at low speeds.
Brake Calipers in High Gloss Black - This is a personal preference, but since you are going Shark blue and brown interior, I would think the stock red calipers might clash.
Smoking package - Free, but adds an extra socket where the lighter goes that I use as my battery charging port when I can't drive the car for a while.
OldJedi (05-23-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 12:49 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

100% yes on the smoking package. It's easy to miss this as a new buyer because you'll never smoke in the car and don't realize what this option involves.
Old 05-22-2023, 01:23 PM
madmilk
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 29 Posts

I've also got Shark Blue on Chalk and love it. I passed on the 18 ways and have no complaints. Wheels are such a subjective thing, however I'll say that silver wheels pop like crazy on this color in person.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:04 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,015 Likes on 550 Posts

Pardon the broad characterizations and pedestrian terms but:

Silver wheels = more 'class'

Black wheels = more 'athletic'
Old 05-22-2023, 10:20 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't let others talk you into Chalk interior, as great as it is - IMHO, Espresso/Cognac is very classy, and goes well with any exterior colour, really.
If you want to make the interior more sporty, consider changing the interior trim to Carbon Fibre, and add the CF gear lever (which also gives you the boot in interior leather color rather than black).
Ultimately it is your car, go with what you love.

+1 on the smoking package - I have it in my 911, and spec'd it for the incoming CGTS 4.0 - it adds the extra power point as others have mentioned, and the lid keeps your change from flying about and make the interior look a bit more finished.

Good luck with build!
Old 05-23-2023, 09:09 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by swaruppatra
I received my allocation for a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 and this locks down at the end of May. So far, my configuration looks like:

Shark Blue
20'' Black wheels
Manual Transmission
Espresso / Cognac interior (interior trim in leather)
18 way seats (ventilated)
Bose
Premium package

Porsche build code: PRXVINI4

Since this is the first time I'm buying a porsche and also my first new car since 2008, I wanted to get feedback on this configuration. Anything worth considering changing?

Thank you very much.
Most important, the estimated lock date is an estimate. Always have your preferred build in the system. Don't wait until the lock date and then put in final changes. It may have already locked.

I would do all espresso. Cognac will show stains; notably blue from denim and espresso is so classy. I'd also do the satin aurum wheels.

I have two regrets from my PTS build. I got Porsche Racing Green Metallic rather than Oak Green Metallic and I got Bordeaux/Black rather than espresso. I love my car as is, but the high end customs out of the factory tend toward the more classic espresso and Oak Green.

But get what you love. That's the point.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:30 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

SunnySF had some great ideas above. My vote is for chalk interior over cognac especially with white gauges. Also, silver wheels with Shark Blue really stands out. Black wheels have no definition (imho) and actually show brake dust more than the silver. We were going to order a SB Boxster 4.0 until we got a chance to order a Boxster 25 instead. Whatever you choose, you will love the car. Enjoy and drive safe. CheeRS

Edit: Unstock has a Shark Blue Spyder with black wheels and has posted a bunch of pictures if you want to compare black wheels against the silver wheels. Whichever one you choose definitely get the black brake calipers with SB.

Last edited by OldJedi; 05-23-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
SunnySF had some great ideas above. My vote is for chalk interior over cognac especially with white gauges. Also, silver wheels with Shark Blue really stands out. Black wheels have no definition (imho) and actually show brake dust more than the silver. We were going to order a SB Boxster 4.0 until we got a chance to order a Boxster 25 instead. Whatever you choose, you will love the car. Enjoy and drive safe. CheeRS

Edit: Unstock has a Shark Blue Spyder with black wheels and has posted a bunch of pictures if you want to compare black wheels against the silver wheels. Whichever one you choose definitely get the black brake calipers with SB.

A few pics of my Shark Blue with black wheels and calipers. Personally I would stay away from the lighter color interiors, I would be afraid of stains or dirt showing up too much. I kept my interior simple with black leather/race tech and grey stitching. I also think the silver or Aurum wheels would look great with shark blue too. Pick what you think you'll like the most. Congrats on the allocation and enjoy the car once you get it.

Quick Reply: Buying my first porsche