Sponsored by:

Side Intake Scoop Install Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 12:35 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Side Intake Scoop Install Problems

Ok, so I decided to replace by base intakes with the spyder variety.

It was easy to get the old scoops out using painters tape and a trim tool as per youtube

When reversed the procedure to install, I felt that the tabs on the rear of the scoop were not seated properly,
the evidence being a 1/16 gap on the rear edge, even tho it felt tight. I did end up solving the issue, if you read till the end

According to the internet, it takes a large amount of force to seat the tabs, but I gave it all I had, without success.
If the fender were sheet metal, I would have bent it.

Here's what the fender looks like intake removed

The tabs would not engage, no matter what I tried. Then I used one of these small android endoscopes, and it seems
you can actually see the tab engagement, at least on light/bright colored fenders as you can see in the photo.

Here is the properly engaged tab as viewed with endoscope. The scale is different. Tabs are only half inch or so

The way I finally engaged then is by using an "o" ring tool to pull out the fender, while pushing in the scoop. Little force was needed

You have to be careful where you put the tip of the o ring tool to avoid damage. I found the inspection mirror easier than using the endoscope to do the actual work

The following 3 users liked this post by reacp911:
cbracerx (02-27-2023), Denny Swift (02-26-2023), IndigoInkTaco (02-24-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:14 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

When there is will there is a way - nice job.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:32 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts

I installed side vent grills, and agree the force needed to seat the clips was abit concerning, but got it done. Using that hook is a great idea. Perhaps one with a blunter tip would be safer. With my luck I'd pull the hook through the fender.

Mike
Old 02-27-2023, 04:59 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts

these hooks are not that pointy, and the force is minimal, but one could file it a bit thicker and rounder.

I think what happening to me is that as I pushed hard, the tab and receptacle were twisting away from each other. Even using a body suction cup to pull on the fender did not work.

The installers at the factory and in dealerships must have their own techniques

Quick Reply: Side Intake Scoop Install Problems