Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General consensus on PPF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 10:24 PM
scottrx7tt1
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 45 Posts

Never done PPF on any car I’ve ever owned and always managed to keep the paint looking like new. Don’t plan to start now
Old 02-05-2023, 11:18 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrx7tt1
Never done PPF on any car I’ve ever owned and always managed to keep the paint looking like new. Don’t plan to start now
Unless you have it in permanent storage, I don't believe you. I'm super careful with my '22 718 and I still picked up chips behind the wheels and the lower bumper in just a couple of thousand kilometers. I had planned not to use ppf but I had to give in. New porsches seem to be quite vulnerable,
The following 3 users liked this post by reacp911:
435 (02-06-2023), LeftLane50mph (02-06-2023), yellolab (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:56 AM
gregturek
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rjag2034
This is Xpel Ultimate Plus Self Healing plus base coat is Gtechniq Crystal Serum and top coated with Gtechniq EXO ultra durable Hydrophobic coating. First 2 pics are 2 years after this ws done. Totally worth it!

xpel after 2 years

xpel after 2 years

Jan 2021

jan 2021
Did the exact same, Xpel plus Gtechniq, last November. Looks great!

The following 2 users liked this post by gregturek:
Raghu (02-07-2023), rjag2034 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 08:52 AM
yellolab
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 61 Posts

OP here....thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to go with the relatively new Expel Ultimate Fusion. I think.

https://www.xpel.com/ultimate-fusion...rotection-film
Old 02-06-2023, 09:23 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by yellolab
OP here....thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to go with the relatively new Expel Ultimate Fusion. I think.

https://www.xpel.com/ultimate-fusion...rotection-film
XPEL is one of the leaders in the PPF game, but as others have stated; don't focus on which film, rather than finding the best installer.
A highly reputable installer will most likely offer a top notch brand that anyone could live with.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (02-06-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:02 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 362 Posts

I put Xpel on the front clip and the entire car is coated with Crystal Serum Light. I've driven the car for a year and can't remember a time when I said, oh look there's an edge. I simply never notice it. I had it installed by the installer recommended by the Porsche certified body shop I trust. I believe they used the precut kit on mine so the edges aren't wrapped. I never notice them. My car is a dark green metallic (PTS Porsche Racing Green Metallic).

If I had it done again, I wouldn't have them put PPF on the mirrors. It simply won't adhere around the edges. If a mirror get's dinged I'd just order another cover and have that body shop match the paint and paint it. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier.
yellolab (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:12 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 511 Posts

A seamless install will cost you a lot more, regardless of whether its a Full, or Track Wrap. Most reputable shops will perform as many seamless panels as possible, as they know this is one of the things they can be dinged for by the critics of the world, but its simply not always in the cards. As far as these sections go (seamed) be gentle when you wash and dry these sections and make sure to avoid going against the grain, as you can start to peal the seams away, which can lead to dirt trapping along those edges. On darker cars this will be harder to notice, and an eye sore on lighter cars.

As far as PPF pealing away, like the above mentioned... this is a warranty issue, and I would take it back to the shop for them to do over... this is not common, nor should it be acceptable. I'd be willing to bet you will have better results after they fix it, bc they wont want to see you again unless you're bringing in another car $$$.

Hit up ppl in the forum that live near you, and ask for recommendations.

Last edited by BoxKing; 02-07-2023 at 09:14 AM.
Treemagnet (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 11:49 AM
Treemagnet
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
it changes the color, at least on my gt silver car. Gave it a slight gold tinge where it was applied
Had Xpel installed on entire front of our Sapphire Blue Metallic BS and full car Xpel Ultimate Plus on the '22 Gentian Blue BGTS 4.0 upon delivery.

Perhaps I'm delusional, but I don't feel like it dulled or changed the color in any way. No one yet has noticed it had PPF before I told them. I found a swirl mark over the PPF on the hood of our BS one day and was tremendously bummed. Two weeks later I couldn't find it....it literally healed itself in the hot Texas sun and was gone. My only issue is trying to keep numbers on the car at the track...painters tape just doesn't stick vey well for more than a session or two, and when it's over 90°, it sometimes won't even stay on 5 minutes before it starts peeling...just sitting there.

PPF is amazing stuff and absolutely would do it all over again (YMMV). The major PPF players all have great products. The key is the installation, so find a great installer in your area and you won't go wrong.
yellolab (02-12-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 01:10 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Treemagnet
Had Xpel installed on entire front of our Sapphire Blue Metallic BS and full car Xpel Ultimate Plus on the '22 Gentian Blue BGTS 4.0 upon delivery.

Perhaps I'm delusional, but I don't feel like it dulled or changed the color in any way. No one yet has noticed it had PPF before I told them. I found a swirl mark over the PPF on the hood of our BS one day and was tremendously bummed. Two weeks later I couldn't find it....it literally healed itself in the hot Texas sun and was gone. My only issue is trying to keep numbers on the car at the track...painters tape just doesn't stick vey well for more than a session or two, and when it's over 90°, it sometimes won't even stay on 5 minutes before it starts peeling...just sitting there.

PPF is amazing stuff and absolutely would do it all over again (YMMV). The major PPF players all have great products. The key is the installation, so find a great installer in your area and you won't go wrong.
Depends on how dark the car is. On white and silver cars you can easily see it. After I had my GT silver car done, I went to a few cars and coffees. Easily distinguishable on lighter colored cars.

I had xpel done by the most recommended in toronto shop. I have a dark blue car where I did the lowers on my own using 3M film. I stuck a scrap piece onto the GT silver car, and it was the same. Adds a slightly yellow tinge.
Treemagnet (02-12-2023)

Quick Reply: General consensus on PPF?