Sponsored by:

SPASM vs PASM changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 02:40 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default SPASM vs PASM changes?

Looking for a 718 CGTS 2.5 and want to understand what options are a "must have" and what I can relatively easily retrofit.

As far as the suspension goes, I know I want SPASM not PASM for my use, but what actually changes? From digging around parts catalogs, it seems like potentially its just the following...
  1. Springs (f+r)
  2. Sway bars (f+r)
  3. Lip spoiler
Is this really it? It looks like struts are identical. Has anybody confirmed if there's different PASM controller programming, and if that can be reprogrammed? (I wasn't able to find a second obvious controller part number). I suppose the other option for the controller is just go straight to DSC!

Cheers.
Old 01-19-2023, 07:45 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

I feel like the hardware is the long pole in the tent though. It's not expensive, but what a pain to have to crawl around on the ground doing suspension work if you were to DIY.

If you're even considering the DSC just get it. It's $1200 and installs in 5 minutes. Infinitely better programming out of the box, regardless if it's different or not for PASM vs SPASM (which I have to assume is but don't know definitively).

*That said I had a DSC on a 991.2 with SPASM, which IMO was almost a requirement and introduced a dramatic difference in ride quality. I really didn't realize a performance improvement but I'm not a serious track rat. It was worth the money. But I haven't felt compelled to do it in a 718, which rides far better than a 991.2 from the factory, even with SPASM.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:46 AM
Abt12
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yeah obviously I'd rather have the car with it in the first place, but I've done worse for suspension upgrades in the garage (my golf R's front suspension doesn't have any OEM component left!)
Old 02-02-2023, 06:53 AM
GilMGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default I like pasm

I had a 718 S with spasm then traded for a GTS with PASM. In this specific application I found PASM suited the GTS better due to front spoiler design. Funny thing is I rarely engage the sport chassis mode as I find it less forgiving on the street, nevertheless feel the car loses very little unless I'm really testing Gforces . Now spasm on my S felt like it belonged
Old 02-02-2023, 07:26 AM
filippo-it
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Abt12
3. Lip spoiler
Am I missing something or the lip spoiler does not change? I have ordered a 4.0 with -10 PASM and do not notice any difference in the configurator or in cars on sale online. The lip is however different on a Boxster GTS, while the one on the Cayman GTS even with PASM is the same even as 992s with SPASM. Am I wrong?
Old 02-02-2023, 08:35 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

As a 2.5 S SPASM owner I’m curious of the full suite of changes this includes. Didn’t thing the front spoiler lip was part of that.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:44 AM
GilMGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
As a 2.5 S SPASM owner I’m curious of the full suite of changes this includes. Didn’t thing the front spoiler lip was part of that.
The GTS is come with the sport design setup which has a front lip spoiler which is lower to the ground. Spasm risks scraping on a GTS where it doesn't so much on an S
Old 02-02-2023, 10:20 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GilMGTS
The GTS is come with the sport design setup which has a front lip spoiler which is lower to the ground. Spasm risks scraping on a GTS where it doesn't so much on an S
Yep aware of that. The OP listed items that change when SPASM is added to the car and included front spoiler lip on the list.

Quick Reply: SPASM vs PASM changes?