Sponsored by:

Maintenance while "under warranty"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 01:58 AM
doublejeopardy
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Maintenance while "under warranty"

Many of you suggest performing maintenance at the dealership while "under warranty." What warranty are you referring to?
If you don't perform maintenance at the dealership while under warranty, why not?
Old 11-02-2022, 12:42 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

read the manual. i do it all myself and save the receipts. i don't need to pay $150-$200 an hour for labor. if i do need to pay for something a trusted independent will result in a much more attractive bill.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
Denny Swift (11-25-2022), gurneyeagle (11-03-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 06:33 PM
doublejeopardy
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

The manual references at least 3 different warranties.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:53 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

well the first thing i would do would be to ask the dealer i bought my car from since if there are any problems that is generally where the path to solve them would start. from the factory:

The warranty period begins on the date the first retail purchaser or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease, or company car, whichever comes first. The following periods apply:
  • 4 year / or 50,000 mls (80,000 km) New Vehicle Warranty which begins on the date the car is first delivered to the first retail purchaser, or the date it is first used as a demonstrator, lease or company car, whichever comes first.*
  • 2-year warranty for genuine Porsche parts, exchange parts and accessories, which are used or sold outside of warranty work. Parts supplied by PCNA and purchased from and installed by an authorized Porsche dealer at time of purchase are covered for two years, unlimited mileage from the date installed, unless the repaired or replaced parts are covered only for the remainder of this warranty.
  • 12 year Corrosion Perforation Limited Warranty – please see the terms and conditions in the Warranty and Customer Information Booklet for details.
  • The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty is 2 years unlimited miles and will commence upon expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty by months or miles whichever comes first.
Warranty outside the U.S. of Worldwide coverage excludes Roadside Assistance.

Old 11-03-2022, 03:18 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 460 Posts

I only do the first one at the dealer which is free. After that, I use a specialty, independent shop and keep the receipts on my folder for the car. Never had a problem trading a car back in and it even getting CPO'd for the next buyer.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
I only do the first one at the dealer which is free. After that, I use a specialty, independent shop and keep the receipts on my folder for the car. Never had a problem trading a car back in and it even getting CPO'd for the next buyer.
What everyone should do unless your brother works at the dealer and does the maintenance himself. Or if you don't mind getting your hands dirty do it yourself and keep records...I hate dirty hands so I pay.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:14 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

If you ask, most dealers will tell you what you need to satisfy the warranty servicing it yourself. Time stamped receipts for fluid and parts purchased is usually good enough. A bill from another shop is definitely good enough.

A lot of those service line items are fluff too imo. I mean, does a lexus SUV need a 20000km brake fluid flush? no. And did they really regrease the door hinges in the 2nd service? Probably not. I will take mine to the dealer though because I stopped liking collecting oil and having to deal with it at home. I also got 3 years free service, so that bought a lot of good will for me to keep servicing it after I have to pay out of my own pocket.

I'm happy to have my wife service her car at the dealership too as she gets a 'free' spa which costs the dealer almost nothing but is actually probably $80 value as a retail customer and it saves me a hour of my life so that makes the $150-200 oil change not too bad.

Quick Reply: Maintenance while "under warranty"