Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 718 Cayman S Purchase - Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 11:45 PM
coupefrv
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really appreciate the feedbacks guys. So $66,895 was the price from last week and now they've lowered it to $65,935 as you can see on their website. The salesman I'm talking to was able to get $1.2k additional discount, but their dealer doc and other fees are almost $2.5k total and hence all add up to around $71.5k. It's outrageous but I heard this is not unusual in FL?

As for the wrap, I really hate it too but they have already taken it off to double check the area so the look is not a concern anymore. Not sure what to do because it's really hard to find a CPO S in this price range. How much should I offer if I were to buy it?

Last edited by coupefrv; 10-25-2022 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:59 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Better that the car is white now but it still has those black wheels which probably doesn’t look nice. I wonder why they still have the black pictures posted?

With the accident history I personally wouldn’t offer over $50k for this car. Do a quick look and see what carvana would offer for this VIN with the mileage and accident history. That’s probably a good starting point.

You also need to build their dealer fees into the price you offer. That’s an outrageous number. Their asking price is really $68,435 when you add the made up fees.

Last edited by gobble; 10-25-2022 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
coupefrv (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 03:05 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

I'm living a bit in the past for prices but it's really hard for me to get over the fact that they're asking for basically what that car cost new and it's 7 years old and one of the poorer examples of a 718 out there, and usually cayman S's depreciate like crazy and had good discounts when new. 2 years ago you could have had a 981 GT4 for that price. 2 years ago you could have still had a new Cayman S for that price.

As far as today's prices are concerned, I still think that car is just a bad buy. You're looking at it to save money, but IMO it's going to cost you far more on teh back end when you go to sell it then spending more money on something better upfront. You'll never sell that car privately IMO so it's going to be a dealer trade in. 4 owners, accident history, probably some rough edges we can't see in pictures... I bet after our era of high demand low supply cars when things go more normalish Porsche dealers will wholesale that thing as far away from their lot as possible. You definitely have other options in florida that are better from what I see for similar money, like the carmine red one at a merc dealer (another terrible interior color imo but it looks like a way better car to me) or go out of state.

There are people on here that will go check out a car for you if you're not wasting their time, or even if you are. I know I would as long as I had the time.
coupefrv (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 03:51 AM
coupefrv
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Zhao
I'm living a bit in the past for prices but it's really hard for me to get over the fact that they're asking for basically what that car cost new and it's 7 years old and one of the poorer examples of a 718 out there, and usually cayman S's depreciate like crazy and had good discounts when new. 2 years ago you could have had a 981 GT4 for that price. 2 years ago you could have still had a new Cayman S for that price.

As far as today's prices are concerned, I still think that car is just a bad buy. You're looking at it to save money, but IMO it's going to cost you far more on teh back end when you go to sell it then spending more money on something better upfront. You'll never sell that car privately IMO so it's going to be a dealer trade in. 4 owners, accident history, probably some rough edges we can't see in pictures... I bet after our era of high demand low supply cars when things go more normalish Porsche dealers will wholesale that thing as far away from their lot as possible. You definitely have other options in florida that are better from what I see for similar money, like the carmine red one at a merc dealer (another terrible interior color imo but it looks like a way better car to me) or go out of state.

There are people on here that will go check out a car for you if you're not wasting their time, or even if you are. I know I would as long as I had the time.
Thank you for your advice. You made great points. Yeah I think I’m gonna walk away from it. Back to the search…

cbracerx (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 08:14 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by gobble
Yuk, it's black. I'm sorry but that's one of the ugliest 718's I've ever seen. The entire car is black. If you park it next to a nice color 718 you won't even notice this car sitting there.

Originally Posted by gobble
Better that the car is white now but it still has those black wheels which probably doesn’t look nice.
We get it, we know you don't like black as a color on cars.

What I'm still unsure of is why you're fervently pressing the issue of the colors and what does or doesn't "look nice", when color choice is entirely subjective. We all try to be helpful on these boards, but persecuting color choice is the opposite of helpful.

I get that the wrap is a huge turn-off, but would you believe that some people actually like black cars?

Originally Posted by coupefrv
Thank you for your advice. You made great points. Yeah I think I’m gonna walk away from it. Back to the search…
Run screaming from this car. Between the accident history, the wrap, and the objectively bad config, no one should buy this car.

To be clear, I say "objectively bad config" after ranting about how we shouldn't apply our personal tastes when giving advice... because this car is a bad config. As Zhao already pointed out above, it's like someone did some research on what options are popular, and made sure not to select a single one. Even if you did buy it and have many happy miles in it, you'd have a really hard time clawing money back from it when you ever did look to move on from it.

There has to be a better one out there for you.

Last edited by manifold danger; 10-25-2022 at 08:17 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
coupefrv (10-25-2022), pkalhan (11-03-2022), rasetsu (10-25-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 07:57 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

With the updated info, put me in the hard no camp also. Reasons have already been elaborated by others. Even in the current market, that's a $60k car at best all in. In a year if the market corrects, it will be a $40k car. Run don't walk.

Last edited by ldamelio; 10-25-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:12 AM
jzcrna
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupefrv
Really appreciate the feedbacks guys. So $66,895 was the price from last week and now they've lowered it to $65,935 as you can see on their website. The salesman I'm talking to was able to get $1.2k additional discount, but their dealer doc and other fees are almost $2.5k total and hence all add up to around $71.5k. It's outrageous but I heard this is not unusual in FL?

As for the wrap, I really hate it too but they have already taken it off to double check the area so the look is not a concern anymore. Not sure what to do because it's really hard to find a CPO S in this price range. How much should I offer if I were to buy it?
OP Go to the Porsche website and look at the CPO Cayman/Boxters within a defined radius of your area. There are many better options.
The following 2 users liked this post by jzcrna:
coupefrv (10-26-2022), pkalhan (11-03-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 02:57 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 113 Likes on 67 Posts

STAY AWAY as everyone commented don't buy a car that's been in a accident
coupefrv (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:40 PM
NoVACayman
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
With the updated info, put me in the hard no camp also. Reasons have already been elaborated by others. Even in the current market, that's a $60k car at best all in. In a year if the market corrects, it will be a $40k car. Run don't walk.
While I agree that the current market is stupid, even before covid, you couldn't get this car for anywhere near $40k. Base 718s were still in the high 40s, closer to $50k.
nineball (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 07:07 PM
coupefrv
Cruisin'

Thanks guys

Last edited by coupefrv; 10-26-2022 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:00 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by NoVACayman
While I agree that the current market is stupid, even before covid, you couldn't get this car for anywhere near $40k. Base 718s were still in the high 40s, closer to $50k.
We're on the same page. Pre-pandemic, my 2018 S (sticker 82, paid 78) hit a nadir of about 49k on KBB trade in, maybe 52 private sale. It 'recovered' to almost MSRP. I haven't checked lately. My comments about the car that is the subject of this thread were predicated on two things:

1) the used 718 market returning to pre-pandemic
2) this particular car is particularly undesireable (accident hx, multiple owners, spec, wrap, etc)

I think it will be in the high 40's FMV a year from now.

Last edited by ldamelio; 10-27-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 718 Cayman S Purchase - Advice needed