Sponsored by:

Illustrated guide to extracting TYD photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:26 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts
Default Illustrated guide to extracting TYD photos

Let me start off by saying there is a video out there somewhere that does arguably a better job than what I'm posting here, and I'm just regurgitating what I learned from it originally. But I spent a good 15 minutes trying to find it again to no avail, only to follow it up and post the below content in the "waiting room" thread where it could easily become entangled in other garbage search engines would miss. A couple folks suggested I create a new thread with it so it's easier to find, and here you go... if somebody has a better thread title for searching I'll happily change it.

Also if anyone knows where that video is (it's a guy with a GT3 that walks through the process successfully, with pictures), please post it and I'll edit it into this original post.

So what I can do is type through a brief tutorial and throw in some screenshots- more for my own personal edification so I don't forget it again when I need to do it in a couple weeks. Also keep in mind, my car hasn't been produced yet so I actually don't have any images to show... but I have the same HTML code as everyone and I can at least show the process and it should be accurate.

1. Log into porsche.com with a browser (I used PC + chrome, the steps are probably similar on other OS/Browser combos but I haven't verified this. Not sure if it works on mobile).

2. Where you normally find your TYD info for your incoming car, right click then click "Inspect" (hitting F12 will also have the same effect). Note: you'll have to be in Stage 3: Your vehicle has been produced to realistically expect the images to be there, unlike what's in this screenshot:

3. This will open a new pane on the right, exposing the underlying code your browser is rendering. Click the "network" tab at the top (you may need to click an "arrow" to find it:

4. It should be blank or close to blank (if you hover over other sections of the page it might not be blank), but hit F5 to refresh, and it will populate with a bunch of content.

5. You'll likely have to scroll down to the bottom to find "orders?include-full-content=false" (I hovered over this in the screenshot to display the full URL).

6. Click on the orders?include-full-content=false line, then make sure you have the "Preview" tab selected on the right pane. There will be some content listed, you'll have to click on one of the triangles to display the sub-content under it. One of these lines will be productionImages- if there are images available, there will be URLs for you to copy/paste in a separate tab and see your pictures (obviously mine says null because my car isn't produced):

Hope that helps. If I was a stronger coder, I'd write a script to grab the photos directly from the URL and bypass this (relatively simple) process. Maybe someone with a developer background can do it relatively quickly, but it is kind of sketchy running scripts from randos on the Internet...

Last edited by manifold danger; 09-10-2022 at 07:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Clark_Kent (11-11-2022), opencar (05-22-2023), yellolab (12-14-2022)
Old 09-10-2022, 02:52 PM
m77spider
4th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to write this all out, personally I prefer guides like this in written form anyways.

I believe the reason none of us can find the original video now is because it's been re-listed as private, at least judging by the link to it I had previously saved <useless embed>

edit: didn't realize it would embed, here is the youtube watch code: watch?v=YGJoJ7DGzLU

Last edited by m77spider; 09-10-2022 at 03:00 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by m77spider:
manifold danger (09-10-2022), opencar (05-22-2023), pgap718 (08-03-2023)
Old 09-10-2022, 04:52 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Ok, that's weird I just watched it less than 2 weeks ago...

Thanks for the find. Maybe some private info in there, would make sense to make it private... you can see where I had to shade out the VINs of my other cars... anyway, hope the guide helps then.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:17 PM
nikuhina
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you for the write-up!

My UI shows I'm in phase 2/4, but there are a few places in this "Preview" that show "produced", as well as a real VIN number...

Does this mean that my car exists, they just don't have any photos?

Old 11-02-2022, 02:08 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Thanks.
This worked with Google Chrome.
Did not work with Firefox.
The following users liked this post:
johny221 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-02-2022, 07:37 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nikuhina
Thank you for the write-up!

My UI shows I'm in phase 2/4, but there are a few places in this "Preview" that show "produced", as well as a real VIN number...

Does this mean that my car exists, they just don't have any photos?

That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure in the process where the VIN is assigned- it could be when it's confirmed for production but not built yet, or maybe it doesn't get assigned until the car is actually put together and the Track Your Dream system hasn't updated yet, I'm honestly not sure. But the good news is that you can use the VIN to get financing if you so choose. You could also attempt to pull up a vinanalytics.com report on it; you may have to pay 12 bucks but it may shed more light on whether it's built yet or not. I did this for mine to find out what tires were on it (I didn't win the tire lottery- alas they were Pirellis).

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Thanks.
This worked with Google Chrome.
Did not work with Firefox.
That's interesting, again I'm not a web developer but I would have guessed the underlying code would all be the same and the browsers would just render it differently... oh well, more I have to learn I suppose. Glad it worked with Chrome... and I can't check it any longer because I took delivery of my car a few weeks ago!

There has been some chatter in the waiting room thread about people's pictures appearing and disappearing in TYD, and to my knowledge no one has gotten a "final assembled" picture of the completed car since before the summer break. The glass half full view would be that they're fiddling with things on the backend to make the whole process better, but unfortunately I think things are just broken and there's no timeline for a fix...

Also for the most part it does seem that this procedure I've documented here has been largely unnecessary since the summer break. The pictures may come and go, but pretty much universally they're available for download via the browser or not at all.

It's all a mystery.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:28 PM
RacingChris44
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Is this the only way to see TYD photos or does Porsche push them out at some point? My car started production on 10/11 and was supposed to be done on 10/21, but now has a completion date of 11/11. I'm hoping they decided to put a GT3 engine in my "T" but I don't think that is the case.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:41 AM
dudeoverthere
Pro

Received 531 Likes on 262 Posts

To answer the above question of when the VIN shows up. My VIN appeared the day the car was scheduled for production/ enters body shop.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:58 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this writeup. I'm in the odd scenario where the landing page / myporsche says its in stage 2/4. But Trackmydream has it produced and in transit to Emden.

And I see no photos anywhere.

I used your trick on the landing page, but no photos/videos to see. Maybe because production was only completed and "ready for transport" 2 days ago.

Funny, the last car I ordered from Porsche 18 months ago (718 gts), I wasnt even given a TYD. Or at least I never went to the website to see. I was quite surprised when the dealer called to say its ready!
Old 12-14-2022, 01:33 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
That is a good question. I'm not exactly sure in the process where the VIN is assigned- it could be when it's confirmed for production but not built yet, or maybe it doesn't get assigned until the car is actually put together and the Track Your Dream system hasn't updated yet, I'm honestly not sure.
In my case, it looks like the VIN was just assigned, and it officially hit 'Scheduled for Production" milestone yesterday,. It looks like VIN is assigned in advance of the car even being physically started, as soon as a production start date is officially assigned.

I also just ran a paid VIN Analytics for my VIN. Works fine, though "Date of Production" is obviously not completed (defaults to 1/1/1970!) and no engine or transmission serial numbers yet. No "tire code" yet either.

Last edited by pfbz; 12-14-2022 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2022, 02:34 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 395 Posts

6. Click on the orders?include-full-content=false line, then make sure you have the "Preview" tab selected on the right pane. There will be some content listed, you'll have to click on one of the triangles to display the sub-content under it. One of these lines will be productionImages- if there are images available, there will be URLs for you to copy/paste in a separate tab and see your pictures (obviously mine says null because my car isn't produced):

Hope that helps. If I was a stronger coder, I'd write a script to grab the photos directly from the URL and bypass this (relatively simple) process. Maybe someone with a developer background can do it relatively quickly, but it is kind of sketchy running scripts from randos on the Internet...[/QUOTE]

Question:
Under the preview page - "orderState:", my info shows"PRODUCED" and @ currentMilestone: 1 ... producttionImages: null

Could the above info be accurate if I'm still in Milestone #1?

Old 12-16-2022, 03:09 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Question:
Under the preview page - "orderState:", my info shows"PRODUCED" and @ currentMilestone: 1 ... producttionImages: null

To my understanding, yes. You wouldn't expect to see the images until milestone 3 IIRC.

Also note that the HTML is subject to change over time- and honestly I consider that to be a very good thing, one would hope that the TYD process could use a comprehensive overhaul, and any new features would be reflected in the web code.

There are actually a ton of metadata you can extract far beyond the images (which from what I've heard have been pretty consistently populated for folks who finished production after August. Mine was all over the place but the weird inconsistencies of pictures that don't show up in the web interface vs being locked behind in the code are now few and far between- another good thing). But you can pull out V codes and dates, VIN numbers and probably more if you wanted to just spend a few minutes poking around in the code.

Alas I can no longer do the digging and provide screenshots, as it will be QUITE some time before I order another Porsche from the factory... but maybe some others with active allocations in production can fill in here.

Last edited by manifold danger; 12-16-2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:11 PM
dub
Racer

Received 307 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing

Hope that helps. If I was a stronger coder, I'd write a script to grab the photos directly from the URL and bypass this (relatively simple) process. Maybe someone with a developer background can do it relatively quickly, but it is kind of sketchy running scripts from randos on the Internet...

Question:

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what mine is showing. TYD dates says "Start Production" date was 12/16 and "Production Completed CP8.0" estimated date is 1/06.

Last edited by dub; 12-20-2022 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:13 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 169 Posts

anyway to do this on a Mac?
Old 01-13-2023, 05:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Originally Posted by speedyj
anyway to do this on a Mac?
Works fine on a Mac with Chrome browser.... Also works with Safari but the output is slightly different.

Quick Reply: Illustrated guide to extracting TYD photos