Sponsored by:

Cabin sound level Boxster S vs. Boxster GTS 4.0 vs. Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 10:20 PM
quality guy
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cabin sound level Boxster S vs. Boxster GTS 4.0 vs. Spyder

Hello folks- I need some help finding some sound/noise cabin noise level specs. Background- my current car is a 2017 717 Boxster S. I love my Boxster S and I also love listening to music in it, and enjoy putting the top down once in a while. I find it to be very quiet.

I am considering replacing it with a new GTS 4.0 or Spyder. I need to see how the noise levels compare at some speed- 60, 70, 100 kph or whatever. If there isn't too much of an increase, I will go ahead with the purchase. I don't care if I get a big noise increase when I push down on the gas pedal- I don't mind that at all. Put cruising at a steady speed- I need that to be a noise level similar to what I am currently getting in my Boxster S.

I have searched for this info and can't find it anywhere. Can you help with this? Thanks, quality guy (Carl).

Old 07-09-2022, 01:19 AM
YTownSpyder
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by quality guy
Hello folks- I need some help finding some sound/noise cabin noise level specs. Background- my current car is a 2017 717 Boxster S. I love my Boxster S and I also love listening to music in it, and enjoy putting the top down once in a while. I find it to be very quiet.

I am considering replacing it with a new GTS 4.0 or Spyder. I need to see how the noise levels compare at some speed- 60, 70, 100 kph or whatever. If there isn't too much of an increase, I will go ahead with the purchase. I don't care if I get a big noise increase when I push down on the gas pedal- I don't mind that at all. Put cruising at a steady speed- I need that to be a noise level similar to what I am currently getting in my Boxster S.

I have searched for this info and can't find it anywhere. Can you help with this? Thanks, quality guy (Carl).
Well all I can tell you is the gts is going to be similar to your Boxster S. The spyder which I have will not be anywhere close to the same noise level with the top up. The manual top has no noise deadening or insulation, the car cabin has a lot less noise deadening. And the cup2 tires are substantially louder then the 4s.

Someone may possibly be able to get you actual db levels at the speeds you’re asking for but probably try to grab a gts if you can get your hands on one

Last edited by YTownSpyder; 07-09-2022 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2022, 01:49 AM
quality guy
5th Gear

Originally Posted by YTownSpyder
Well all I can tell you is the gts is going to be similar to your Boxster S. The spyder which I have will not be anywhere close to the same noise level with the top up. The manual top has no noise deadening or insulation, the car cabin has a lot less noise deadening. And the cup2 tires are substantially louder then the 4s.

Someone may possibly be able to get you actual db levels at the speeds you’re asking for but probably try to grab a gts if you can get your hands on one
Thanks for the insight!
The following users liked this post:
YTownSpyder (08-21-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 07:35 AM
Antipodean
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, the Spyder will be noisier at any speed with the roof up. Rennlisters have reported favourable aural experiences with the Burmester in the Spyder, so that may also be a consideration.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:40 AM
quality guy
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Antipodean
Yes, the Spyder will be noisier at any speed with the roof up. Rennlisters have reported favourable aural experiences with the Burmester in the Spyder, so that may also be a consideration.
Thanks for your input!
Old 07-09-2022, 12:47 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

I had a 981BS before my 718 Spyder. The 981 was nearly as quiet as a sedan with the top up and noise wasn't really a consideration even on a 5-hour road trip. With my Spyder it's dramatically louder. I like to listen to podcasts, and did regularly in the Boxster. But I can't in the Spyder. It turns out, that's actually become a positive, because I've found that I'm way more engaged and "one with the car" if I'm not listening to a podcast. If I listen to music in the Spyder, it's really something I can only really hear at low speeds or at stop lights. And it really needs to be music that I know, because I only hear a small portion of it, and my brain fills in the rest from memory. Again, all this makes my focus stay on the car, which is good!
Old 07-09-2022, 06:17 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

I recall when I first bought my Spyder and all I could think about on the ride home (with the top up) how quiet it was and how I needed to change the exhaust ASAP. At cruising speeds, I did not find it hard at all to listen to music (Bose) so I think you really need to try and get it one and experience it since it would be a shame to get a GTS when the much better-looking Spyder is not an option because you think it may be too loud.
c1pher (08-21-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 04:58 AM
FreshDriver
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Cayman S is quieter on cruising.
Not sure if deleting the symposer it may be same.
Old 07-12-2022, 09:02 AM
QWKFLAT6
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 2021 Spyder with summer tires. Didn’t want the Cup tires because I don’t plan to race the car.
On asphalt roads it’s pretty quiet at highway speed.
On concrete its a mixed bag depending on road surface. Either way you can’t compare it to a coupe.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:01 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,348 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by quality guy
I need that to be a noise level similar to what I am currently getting in my Boxster S.

The answer is the GTS.

Top up/down the Spyder will be significantly louder. Less vehicle insulation and single layer canvass roof.

I’ve driven cross country to Parade in a Spyder and it can be fatiguing.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Denny Swift (07-13-2022), QWKFLAT6 (07-12-2022), slilley (07-13-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 03:58 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 434 Posts

I am not sure about the Boxster S, but I owned a base 2017 base Boxster and the GTS 4.0 is definitely louder than that top up or down. It's all engine though. I had the same size tires on the 2.0 as I do on the GTS. I think the base Boxster wheels were 0.5" narrower. Not sure why the GTS 4.0 doesn't wear wider tires to go with the wheels. If you leave the exhaust off, it's not as noticeable, but make sure you also disable *** since the cylinder deactivation also creates some sort of resonance.
rnrouss99 (07-21-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:23 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 817 Likes on 393 Posts

All I gotta say is if you have a shot at a Spyder, get it. I don’t care what the music sounds like. The Spyder is louder…probably by a good margin. But man, what a car it is. Listen to music in your daily!
The following 3 users liked this post by flynlo:
beibei650 (08-23-2022), c1pher (07-14-2022), suffer (08-22-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 09:03 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 434 Posts

Love the looks of the Spyder but love the convenience of the Boxster top, plus ventilated and memory seats.
mc3456 (08-19-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 02:27 AM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 58 Posts

Wider tyres on the Spyder compared to the S and GTS which have the same size tyres so there will be more road noise. The GTS is louder than the S especially if you have the Soundakator fuse pulled on the S. You could do the Symposer plug mod on the GTS/Spyder but its a true sound of the engine not fake like in the Base/S.

Personally, high end stereo system are not worth it on these cars. The cabin is small and with the engine behind you, no wheel arch liners and fat tyres, it is very noisy. Save you money. Opt for the base or Bose system if you must and spend the extra cash on other options.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:33 AM
Stormy Monday
5th Gear

I have a 2022 GTS 4.0. If the sport exhaust is off, the car is about as quiet as my previous 2006 Boxster S with the stock exhaust. On the interstate at 80 mph, tire noise was the loudest sound.

Quick Reply: Cabin sound level Boxster S vs. Boxster GTS 4.0 vs. Spyder