Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seller Question - Was dealer in the wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 01:52 PM
QuinolKO
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Seller Question - Was dealer in the wrong?

Hi friends,
I posted my 718 for sale in Rennlist Marketplace and got an offer from a dealer in Florida. Agreed on price, then dealer insisted I complete a Power of Attorney for the vehicle.
I declined and walked away. Has anyone ever signed a power or attorney to complete a sale? He claims it was in case they ever lost the title- and wanted power of attorney for 2 individuals which I've never met.
It sounds very suspect and my attorney suggested this was possibly a scam. At the same time, the dealer has been in business for 10+ years (although they have a yahoo.com email address). I guess end of day if you aren't comfortable, you walk away. Was just curious if the power of attorney aspect raises red flag for anyone else?
Thx!

ps - this isn't a sale post, but if you're looking for a Miami Blue - manual drive...
Old 03-25-2022, 02:05 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 235 Posts

It’s not unheard of but I wouldn’t do it. Why would you need to? In the current market you’ll have no problem selling a good 718 at a fair price.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:30 PM
wam22
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Completely normal. I have signed a power of attorney with every car I have sold/traded in to a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 04:36 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 921 Likes on 367 Posts

Wow. Yeah. No, YOU'RE in the wrong here. I've signed a power of attorney for every one of the 20+ cars I've sold to dealers. This helps them process title work and so on. It's literally standard operating procedure and is limited in scope of what that power of attorney is over. For example, the one in Texas.

A Texas Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form VTR-271), also known as a “Power of Attorney To Transfer Motor Vehicle,” is the paperwork a vehicle owner can use to grant authority to another person to perform certain administrative tasks for their vehicle. For instance, such an agent may transfer titles to a motor vehicle in Texas using the principal vehicle owner’s name. This is a type of limited power of attorney that pertains to transferring title of motor vehicles only.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 03-25-2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:54 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Every time i have sold or traded a car to a dealer they need at least a couple powers of attorney.
Totally normal.
The following users liked this post:
whojoemama (03-27-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:30 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Might seem reasonable if you had a lien on the title…if you had a clear title in hand seems excessive. Just sign the title over?
Old 03-25-2022, 08:29 PM
QuinolKO
Rennlist Member

Since I have no loan on the vehicle, once i transfer the title, there's no legal transactions that I need to be a part of. power of attorney is a powerful document and although limited in scope to a specific VIN, has literally no application that can benefit me. but it can be used to take actions in my name that can create liability. The doc may help for some situations but is not at all a requisite to execute a lawful sale transaction.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:02 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by QuinolKO
Since I have no loan on the vehicle, once i transfer the title, there's no legal transactions that I need to be a part of. power of attorney is a powerful document and although limited in scope to a specific VIN, has literally no application that can benefit me. but it can be used to take actions in my name that can create liability. The doc may help for some situations but is not at all a requisite to execute a lawful sale transaction.
So why are you asking?
Old 03-26-2022, 12:32 AM
QuinolKO
Rennlist Member

Well i was asking for some reasonable perspective. And if folks just sign those things .
Old 03-27-2022, 12:59 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by QuinolKO
Hi friends,
I posted my 718 for sale in Rennlist Marketplace and got an offer from a dealer in Florida. Agreed on price, then dealer insisted I complete a Power of Attorney for the vehicle.
I declined and walked away. Has anyone ever signed a power or attorney to complete a sale? He claims it was in case they ever lost the title- and wanted power of attorney for 2 individuals which I've never met.
It sounds very suspect and my attorney suggested this was possibly a scam. At the same time, the dealer has been in business for 10+ years (although they have a yahoo.com email address). I guess end of day if you aren't comfortable, you walk away. Was just curious if the power of attorney aspect raises red flag for anyone else?
Thx!

ps - this isn't a sale post, but if you're looking for a Miami Blue - manual drive...
I would never sign an unlimited power of attorney but the one for a dealer is limited to tag and titling issues. It’s normal.
Old 03-27-2022, 08:34 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 596 Posts

normal
Old 03-28-2022, 02:13 AM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

I've never heard of such a thing. But then I thought back, and in almost 50 years of car ownership, I have never sold or traded a car to a dealer. Always sold directly to private parties. So I probably would have been just as spooked by this request as the OP was.

Quick Reply: Seller Question - Was dealer in the wrong?