Sponsored by:

Picking up a 718 BGTS as a "stopgap" to a BGTS4.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2022, 05:02 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 641 Posts
Default Picking up a 718 BGTS as a "stopgap" to a BGTS4.0

I'm sure I don't have to educate everyone on the current supply issues and their effect on the new Porsche market- but I am here to commiserate in the frustration of us suffering these very, very 1st world problems.

My story is I actually have had a deposit down on a 992 GTS coupe since November; long enough for me to realize that I miss the top-down experience and driving dynamics of my previous 981 Boxster GTS enough to NOT try to switch to a GTS cab and its compromised aesthetics (subjectively, but definitely to me)… but to place a deposit down on a 718 BGTS4.0 as well.

Also long enough for me to realize I'm just not built to wait for a car to be built under current conditions!

I'm apparently next in line for the 992, and still considering taking delivery for two reasons; a) my SA tells me I could get an allocation as early as next month, getting me the 992 delivered sometime around the fall (barring additional unforeseen issues or impact of known issues); and b) the current market values of the 992 GTS is such that there is very low risk of losing any money- in fact there's a very real possibility to MAKE money on it assuming the market holds steady.

I just placed the deposit on the BGTS4.0 a couple weeks ago, and the SA tells me I'm about 12-15 months out for that car.

There's no guarantee for any of this, so best-case scenario is I go all summer without a Porsche sports car if I need to have a new one. And I'm just flat out uninterested in paying severe markups like we're seeing with on-the-lot used cars or near-term allocations.

Also worth mentioning is that for some reason I thought it was a good idea to trade my perfectly wonderful 991.2 C2S 7MT for a new Audi RS5 last fall. As great of a car the Audi is, now that the weather is getting warmer I'm finding it extremely difficult to resist the urge to find another actual sports car... so I've currently got a deposit on a pretty neatly spec'd 2019 718 BGTS that I'm scheduled to take delivery on tomorrow. At a reasonable price reflecting at least a somewhat reasonable amount of depreciation for a nearly 3 year old car.

So my reason for sharing; I'm genuinely curious how are people enjoying their "lesser" 718s these days? Has it become the best sports car bargain out there right now like I keep telling myself?

Trust me, I've been around long enough to be fully aware that almost nobody liked the turbo 4, and Porsche has validated this by reintroducing the N/A 6 in the latest GTS. But... I've long been an advocate of the 4 cylinder 718! In fact, the only reason I actually chose to get my initial 981 in 2018 was just the sheer cost factor; I got my 981 in a near perfect spec with a few miles on it at less than 2/3 the cost of a new 718 GTS ($53k as a CPO car, vs ~$94k for my ideal spec). I've had several 718 loaners in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

So what I'm secretly hoping for is that I just fall in love with the 718 so hard that I pull my deposits and just keep this car for much much longer than the 6-15 months I currently plan on keeping it. Yes I loved the sound of the 981 but wondering if the wait+cost difference is enough to get me to forget about the 4.0.

I also realize that I'll find this all out on my own once I've owned it for a bit, but still curious what others may have to say on the topic.

Last edited by manifold danger; 03-21-2022 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:03 PM
Old Blevens
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a "lesser" 718, but I think you made a good choice. I like the flat 6 NA engine in my 2000 986 S, and I just managed to score a 25th Anniversary Edition of the BGTS, which I love. But some of the research I did strongly suggested the turbo 4 is an excellent match for the Boxster/Cayman tall gearing in first - third. You're giving up the sweet exhaust sound of the flat 6, but if I correctly recall what I read, the turbo does a lot to offset those tall gears. Plus, now you get a BGTS to drive right away. Seems like an excellent tradeoff to me.

Last edited by Old Blevens; 03-21-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:44 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 850 Likes on 446 Posts

had one, really liked it. p4p it's very capable for it's cost. but after some miles you do start missing the glorious porsche sound
Old 03-21-2022, 09:43 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Old Blevens
I don't have a "lesser" 718, but I think you made a good choice. I like the flat 6 NA engine in my 2000 986 S, and I just managed to score a 25th Anniversary Edition of the BGTS, which I love. But some of the research I did strongly suggested the turbo 4 is an excellent match for the Boxster/Cayman tall gearing in first - third. You're giving up the sweet exhaust sound of the flat 6, but if I correctly recall what I read, the turbo does a lot to offset those tall gears. Plus, now you get a BGTS to drive right away. Seems like an excellent tradeoff to me.
That last part- plus the great trade value I'm getting on my RS5- is what makes this a no-brainer! I feel really good about it, and I've been agonizing over my car situation for months. The wait really is killing me... but at least now I feel back at home in getting a p car.

Also interesting you mention the Boxster 25 year- there was one (may still be) at a dealer very close to me, in what I think is a great (but not ideal) color combo with the silver exterior and black top/interior. I'm personally just not a huge fan of the red interior, but I do have to admit it looks great for those cars and is arguably going to be the more sought after combination. The silver is killer, but wouldn't be my first choice. If it were white or black I may have pulled the trigger...

But it's just a tough pill to swallow at $125k, which is what this one was being asked for! I just couldn't justify the $40k premium over the car I'm getting (and the 2019 has less miles...). Again, maybe if it was near exactly how I would have spec'd it myself... but I just couldn't do it. I'm sure someone will pay it and be very happy with that car though. The wheels on the 25 year, to me, are the best wheels on any modern Porsche.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:11 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,059 Likes on 1,756 Posts

I listened to a 4 cylinder Cayman that had a exhaust,I think just an X-pipe actually but am not sure. It sounded really good at idle. And at full scream they do have a good sound. Sure, it's sounds like a WRX, but those can sound very good, rowdy, gruff. Different than a flat-6, but not without its own character. Personal preference I think.

I went with the CGTS 4.0 because I felt it was worth the money over the S, especially in terms of resale value and uniqueness. I got lucky and paid 3% below MSRP, so there is that.

Bottom line, first world problems. Have fun deciding.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 09:54 AM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree with above - you got first world problems. I would say choose the path that will get you the P-car fastest and then decide which one to choose from the ordered cars. 992 GTS is not going to be special in the long road compared to a special edition 911 or GT car. Porsche striked lighting with the original 997 GTS, and the predecessors are all great cars but are not the special send off car like the 997 GTS was (how do I know, I have one). The GTS 4.0 will have appreciation potential due to the engine - we all know the EV is coming - but its also a 4.0 flat 6. Only the GT4 and GTS 4.0 will have the engine - ever. Again look at Porsche history with the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, those are considered the 'most' wanted compared to the previous 3.8.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:06 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm sure I don't have to educate everyone on the current supply issues and their effect on the new Porsche market- but I am here to commiserate in the frustration of us suffering these very, very 1st world problems.

My story is I actually have had a deposit down on a 992 GTS coupe since November; long enough for me to realize that I miss the top-down experience and driving dynamics of my previous 981 Boxster GTS enough to NOT try to switch to a GTS cab and its compromised aesthetics (subjectively, but definitely to me)… but to place a deposit down on a 718 BGTS4.0 as well.

Also long enough for me to realize I'm just not built to wait for a car to be built under current conditions!

I'm apparently next in line for the 992, and still considering taking delivery for two reasons; a) my SA tells me I could get an allocation as early as next month, getting me the 992 delivered sometime around the fall (barring additional unforeseen issues or impact of known issues); and b) the current market values of the 992 GTS is such that there is very low risk of losing any money- in fact there's a very real possibility to MAKE money on it assuming the market holds steady.

I just placed the deposit on the BGTS4.0 a couple weeks ago, and the SA tells me I'm about 12-15 months out for that car.

There's no guarantee for any of this, so best-case scenario is I go all summer without a Porsche sports car if I need to have a new one. And I'm just flat out uninterested in paying severe markups like we're seeing with on-the-lot used cars or near-term allocations.

Also worth mentioning is that for some reason I thought it was a good idea to trade my perfectly wonderful 991.2 C2S 7MT for a new Audi RS5 last fall. As great of a car the Audi is, now that the weather is getting warmer I'm finding it extremely difficult to resist the urge to find another actual sports car... so I've currently got a deposit on a pretty neatly spec'd 2019 718 BGTS that I'm scheduled to take delivery on tomorrow. At a reasonable price reflecting at least a somewhat reasonable amount of depreciation for a nearly 3 year old car.

So my reason for sharing; I'm genuinely curious how are people enjoying their "lesser" 718s these days? Has it become the best sports car bargain out there right now like I keep telling myself?

Trust me, I've been around long enough to be fully aware that almost nobody liked the turbo 4, and Porsche has validated this by reintroducing the N/A 6 in the latest GTS. But... I've long been an advocate of the 4 cylinder 718! In fact, the only reason I actually chose to get my initial 981 in 2018 was just the sheer cost factor; I got my 981 in a near perfect spec with a few miles on it at less than 2/3 the cost of a new 718 GTS ($53k as a CPO car, vs ~$94k for my ideal spec). I've had several 718 loaners in the past and thoroughly enjoyed them all.

So what I'm secretly hoping for is that I just fall in love with the 718 so hard that I pull my deposits and just keep this car for much much longer than the 6-15 months I currently plan on keeping it. Yes I loved the sound of the 981 but wondering if the wait+cost difference is enough to get me to forget about the 4.0.

I also realize that I'll find this all out on my own once I've owned it for a bit, but still curious what others may have to say on the topic.
So you're going to buy a used 2.5 while you wait on the new 4.0 and you think it's possible you might fall in love with the used 2.5 and never get the new 4.0.

If you don't want to wait and you think you could be happy with a lightly used GTS, why not buy a used 4.0?
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 02:29 PM
FreshDriver
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
So you're going to buy a used 2.5 while you wait on the new 4.0 and you think it's possible you might fall in love with the used 2.5 and never get the new 4.0.

If you don't want to wait and you think you could be happy with a lightly used GTS, why not buy a used 4.0?
I have an S-Stage 1 who is extremely jittery. Regardless of which road I'm on, he's always up for a thrill ride.

I'm getting a 4.0 next month, but I'm still deciding whether to keep it or sell it. The choice is between almost instant torque or improved sound. I'm still undecided.

Last edited by FreshDriver; 03-22-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 09:51 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy

That's an easy one- because they're just too damned expensive for builds that are nowhere near how I'd spec one myself.

I just can't justify paying $15k over sticker for a used car and a build I'm not entirely happy with. I went through the same situation with the 992. It's difficult if not impossible to find a used 992 S for less than $140k... just $20k shy of my brand new GTS build.

As mentioned above- I actually did come real close to buying a Boxster 25 year, but they wanted $25k over for that. Couldn't do it.

But I am ok with paying $15k under MSRP on a 3 year old car that just happens to have a 4 cylinder. That's still a steep depreciation curve (in favor of the original MSRP)... but it's depreciated. Also this particular car is a great spec and only has 2500 miles on it, after the drive home. I'd post a pic, but I didn't take one because I spent over 9 hours in the car today... I'll post one tomorrow, along with my initial impressions of the car. Spoiler- I love it.

The crazy part though, oddly enough, I got a call from my SA this morning on the way to pick up the BGTS- I now have an allocation for a 992 GTS, August delivery. Interesting development lol... but obviously not enough to stop me from getting the car.

Originally Posted by wardrive
I agree with above - you got first world problems. I would say choose the path that will get you the P-car fastest and then decide which one to choose from the ordered cars. 992 GTS is not going to be special in the long road compared to a special edition 911 or GT car. Porsche striked lighting with the original 997 GTS, and the predecessors are all great cars but are not the special send off car like the 997 GTS was (how do I know, I have one). The GTS 4.0 will have appreciation potential due to the engine - we all know the EV is coming - but its also a 4.0 flat 6. Only the GT4 and GTS 4.0 will have the engine - ever. Again look at Porsche history with the 997 GT3 RS 4.0, those are considered the 'most' wanted compared to the previous 3.8.
I really don't follow here- literally every review on YouTube or any car magazine- any source at all, really- raves about the 992 GTS and how it is finally no longer a parts bin special over an S, but offers up a true differentiation from not just the S, but the Turbo and GT3 above it. Old GTS cars, including the 997, just strapped on a powerkit, some center locking wheels, an aero kit, and a bunch of alcantara on the 4s body. The 992 gets brakes and suspension from the turbo plus all those other things, and an exclusive lightweight package (which I wouldn't spec anyway). It's not "special" per se but it is the pick of the litter for a non-gt car. There are also many other threads discussing the GTS in the 992 forums... but maybe I'm missing something comparing it to the 997, other than maybe that was the first gen to offer the GTS.

And definitely not following with the RS 4.0 reference. That was a GT engine. Not in the same galaxy as the 4.0 in the mid-engine cars, which is just a re-bored version of the 3.0L turbo engine in the Carreras... not that that's a bad thing at all, but it's definitely can't be compared to a GT3 RS 4.0...

Last edited by manifold danger; 03-22-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 10:49 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 355 Likes on 165 Posts

@manifold danger , my 2022 GT4 permanently resides in the Atlantic. And while I wait for 2023 models to eventually be built, I am pursuing your exact plan but with a Cayman GTS, as I also like the 2.5L motor, plus:
1. I want the 'coupon'.
2. I want most of the spec to be aligned with my ideal.
3. I am embracing the process, and think it would be cool to make it a long-term keeper.

Looking forward to your BGTS reveal soon.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:19 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
@manifold danger , my 2022 GT4 permanently resides in the Atlantic. And while I wait for 2023 models to eventually be built, I am pursuing your exact plan but with a Cayman GTS, as I also like the 2.5L motor, plus:
1. I want the 'coupon'.
2. I want most of the spec to be aligned with my ideal.
3. I am embracing the process, and think it would be cool to make it a long-term keeper.

Looking forward to your BGTS reveal soon.
That is terrible to hear, hopefully you'll get your car ASAP!

Also I think it's a great idea to get into a CGTS in the meantime. They're still fantastic cars.

Just the one picture as it's a terrible weather day today and I spent all yesterday driving. This is definitely not meant to be a full review; the 718 GTS has been around for a while and I'm sure I won't be articulating anything that hasn't been annotated for these cars already. But as expected, the car does not disappoint. Especially after driving the RS5 for 6 months, 10 seconds in and I knew I made the right call. There really is "no substitute" for a true sports car. The engine noise is noticeable as "un-Porsche like", but it's not like it sounds bad at all. In fact I kind of enjoy the lopey rumble at low rpm; again, I had an STI with Cobb turbo-back a few years ago and I really loved the way that sounded. I know Subaru unequal-length header exhaust sounds are love-or-hate, but if you happen to fall on that side then you can actually derive some pleasure from the exhaust note of these cars.

I will say though, after spending another full day in this platform- I am reminded that it is indeed far better than the 981. The chassis and steering are just so much more refined, but still retain everything that was good about the 981 chassis. They just found a way to amplify all the goodness about the 981 chassis but perfect the steering and make it ride that much better. The engine is also better, dynamically. I'll concede I never drove a PDK version of a 981, but I can't really complain at all about the power delivery, and the PDK negates any of the "gearing issues" that are widely floated around in various reviews and forum posts.

All that said, I will add that I'm still very much looking forward to getting into a 718 GTS4.0 (and the 992 in between...); the excellence of this chassis does make me wonder how much better it will be with that gem of an engine. And yes- in a car that spends a good amount of time with the top down, the exhaust note is very important. So the 6 cylinder is in my future, but I'm not in nearly as much as a rush with this car to keep me occupied.

So to be clear, I will not be pulling my deposits on the 992 or the BGTS4... but I am definitely going to enjoy the hell out of this car for the next 6+ months!

The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Bearrun21 (03-23-2022), Dan Nagy (03-24-2022), SunnySF (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 11:55 AM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Congrats on the new car! The BGTS (2.5T) is awesome. I love mine!

Quick Reply: Picking up a 718 BGTS as a "stopgap" to a BGTS4.0