Road Trip West - To Springfield, MO - Amarillo to Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 10:51 AM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Road Trip West - To Springfield, MO - Amarillo to Phoenix

Hello,

Decided to take a “Road Trip” heading south from Ann Arbor, MI in my Cayman later this week. Looks like the current forecast for weather on my planned route could be mild weather (I know that can change). My Cayman will have all season tires for the trip.

Hoping the first night in Springfield and looking for recommendations for a hotel maybe away from the main roads. Another option would be a recommendation for a smaller town in the surrounding area. I may travel part of Route 66 ….. any portions of Route 66 that are recommended to utilize?

I also have a similar question about the Amarillo area. Currently planning on then heading toward Roswell after leaving Amarillo. Will then continue the southern route through Tucson and then on to the Phoenix area to visit friends.

Any recommendations or suggestions that can be provided from the group will be appreciated. I picture of my Cayman is below.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by wdr911; 03-13-2022 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Danusiar (03-16-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 07:44 AM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

have a fun trip!

Mike
Old 03-14-2022, 08:57 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 343 Likes on 223 Posts

I just did the same route back in December. Although I started in Jersey and made my way over. I lived in Tucson and just south of Roswell for a while too. Anyway...I have no idea how long you plan to drive each day, what you want to see or do or if you're simply looking to get to AZ as quickly as possilbe. That's why I always find it hard to make recommendations for people I don't know. But, Amarillo....not much around there. You might want to look up by Lake Meredith if you want a more secluded place to stay. Might be worth just taking the long drive straight to Roswell if you don't have a reason to stay in that area of TX. Roswell is huge now. No shortage of places to stay or eat.
Old 03-14-2022, 09:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
But, Amarillo....not much around there.
Hard to argue that and I grew up in the area. However,

https://www.tourtexas.com/destinatio...o-things-to-do

In particular, from that -^ list: Big Texan steak house and Cadillac Ranch.

In the last century you could get a tour of the Helium plant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Helium_Reserve

which is fun if you’ve never used a banana to hammer a nail into a board.

I was never able to secure a tour of Pantex though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantex
Old 03-14-2022, 10:51 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,963 Posts

Amarillo? I drive through there going to CO couple times a year.

Big Tex Steakhouse is the Disneyland of Steak.

Amarillo does have a small Rt 66 historic district; some cool shops bars. Kodak moment.

https://www.visitamarillo.com/listin...-district/929/

Old 03-16-2022, 12:18 PM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for information​​​​….. will look into visiting some of them.

best regards to all
Old 03-19-2022, 02:48 PM
Pilota
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Springfield Missouri Welcomes you
pity our monthly PCA meeting was last week
Vandevort Hotel downtown is our nicest s with good restaurants nearby
hilton Garden Inn of hwy 60 on south side of town is convenient and also has good restaurants
when might you be coming ?
Old 03-21-2022, 11:52 AM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Hello Pilots,

I wound up staying Thursday night about 60 miles east of Springfield that night, as I did not depart until around 10am. I stopped for gas in Indianapolis near The Porsche dealership and had a short break, coffee and hospitality. Only a few new SUVs in stock.

On Friday did about 800 miles, some rain on and off for the first few hours. My windshield was coated with Acquapel (so?) so no wiper used at all. When stopped for gas visited Porsche Tulsa for a coffee and some cold water. Talked with one of the salesman, only a few new SUVs in stock and selling the vehicles in transit. He mention their Dealership had 11 vehicles on the boat that sunk a few weeks ago…..ouch! I spent the night in Amarillo.

On Saturday in Amarillo it was 32 degrees….. glad I installed Michelin All Season speed rated tires on my 19 inch wheels before the trip. I started out at 6am, covered again about 800 miles I went through Roswell, New Mexico did a brief stop and then proceeded on to A friend’s place in North Scottsdale arriving around 5:30pm.

Departed Sunday morning around 7am an arrived at my friend’s place in north San Diego around 1pm.

All will say on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I can’t believe how fast people were driving……reminded me of the Autobahn. I stayed a ways back from folks going 85 to 95 Miles per hour.

I used Car Play and Waze for Route guidance and Police alerts, worked excellent. I listened to some music one my phone and to portions of two audio books so far:

- Faster, Higher, Farther: The Volkswagen Scandal (Diesel Gate and Ave VW history)…..included lots of VW, Porsche and Piech Family history. Book by Jack Ewing.

- Book by Peter Schutz (former American Porsche CEO starting in 1981 for seven years…. Only a third of the way through the 13 hours with Peter reading the book! The title is “Driving Force: Getting Extraordinary Results From Ordinary People”

These books were interesting and helped me stay focused and engaged whole driving. Did some calls and respond
pec to Text Messages all hands free.

I averaged around 25mpg and seemed to average over 70 miles per hours plus over the three and a half day trip covering 2,718 miles. The Cayman S with the manual transmission was a ball to drive and it perform outstandingly. A few pictures follow.

The following 2 users liked this post by wdr911:
abarthguy (04-03-2022), Chris Danusiar (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:46 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 176 Posts

[QUOTE=wdr911;18041852]Hello Pilots,

All will say on Friday, Saturday and Sunday I can’t believe how fast people were driving……reminded me of the Autobahn. I stayed a ways back from folks going 85 to 95 Miles per hour.

I have noticed even here in NE that traffic is moving much faster since COVID on the interstate. On our section of US 95 most cars that are able are holding 75 to 85. I can fit right in doing 90-100 without looking too much out of place. I did hear some scuttlebutt from the local police that the state police are reluctant to pull cars over for just over the limit. I was told there is concern about accusations of bias, and potential legal actions. I have not seen a speed trap in 2 years.
YMMV.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:06 AM
wdr911
Rennlist Member

Hello,
  • Back in Chicago visiting my son now after putting 5,000 miles on the 2019 Cayman S with a manual transmission. I switched out my original summer Yokohama 19 inch tires before the trip with Michelin all season tires they were outstanding and well balanced.
  • My gas mileage even with some higher speeds was 27MPG +, a couple of the days did 700 miles plus a couple of the days. I have the 4 way Sport Seats Plus in my car and they were very comfortable and supportive during the entire trip and I felt quite good after a long daytpyvof driving.

Scottsdale Area

Cayman rested at my friends shop while in San Diego for a week at the famous AJ-USA showroom (formerly known as AJ Racing). AJ-USA made 50 930 Slantnoses in th1980s and did Porsche parts - reinvented now a Premier body shop - authorized to repair Tesla and Rivian electric vehicles as well as all others.

o

AJ-USA 930 S - Slantnose Brochure

AJ-USA catalogs back from 1980 -1990 era

Outside of Flagstaff a wood carving store.

My dashboard “Trip Log” after one of the long days.

Great books to listen to on a long drive.

Peter Schutz former Porsche AG

Apple CarPlay is amazing, used Waze, listening need to music loaded on my phone, as well as audio books.

Two excellent audio books:

- Peter Schutz (former Porsche CEO 1981-1988 or so) “Driving Force - Getting Extraordinary Results from Ordinary People”. 13 hours with Peter Schutz reading the book……it was great.

- “Faster, Higher, Farther - The Volkswagen Scandal (Dieselgate)” by Jack Ewing a 10 hour book. A significant part of the book is VW, Porsche AG, and Porsche and Piech family history. Really an interesting book about the VW and Porsche AG realarionship through the years.

Had a safe and uneventful trip so far.it was enjoyable cruising in the Cayman.

The following users liked this post:
JBM718GTS (04-03-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 11:52 AM
ddugas01

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

You got lucky, no flats.

I won’t take my Porsches out of town unless in a trailer. Whoever thought it was a good idea to eliminate the spare tire never got stuck on the side of the road, miles from any town, on a Sunday late afternoon in the winter time, with a puncture too big for green slime to clog.

There’s a reason you don’t see these cars on the open road. It’s a shame. Spend all this money to have an enjoyable driving experience and take away the joy if you get a flat tire. With the highways in the worst condition they’ve ever been, it’s inevitable the tires will become the weakest link.

Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Road Trip West - To Springfield, MO - Amarillo to Phoenix