Sports Chrono and PDK

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2022, 09:21 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Sports Chrono and PDK

Hi Everyone,

Just have a simple question. For those owners who have a PDK (I guess manual would work as well) and have Sports Chrono, how often do you use Sports +? Also, when do you use it? Is it strictly when you track the car? Just trying to see if I really need it as an option.

Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 482 Likes on 351 Posts

I have a 981 with Sport Chrono and PDK. When I track the car 4-5 times a year always us Sport+. IMO it is not useable on the street in auto. PDK shifts are at the redline unless you manually shift. Sport+ will turn on PASM and PSE, which can also be done manually. It firms up the PADM motor mounts and "dumbs down" PSM to be less intrusive.

Not needed if you don't plan of tracking, however IMO Sport Chrono will be a plus for resale. There are after market PDK tunes the mimic Sport Chrono.

Last edited by Kitc2246; 02-11-2022 at 10:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kitc2246:
M. Schneider (02-12-2022), pkalhan (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 10:08 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
I have a 981 with Sport Chrono and PDK. When I track the car 4-5 times a year always us Sport+. IMO it is not useable on the street in auto. PDK shifts are at the redline unless you manually shift. Sport+ will turn on PASM and PSE, which can also be done manually. It firms up the PADM motor mounts and "dumbs down" PSM to be less intrusive.
Thank you very much for the reply. I do not plan on tracking the car. I will be taking me to work and home (mainly highway) and some twisty roads so I was not sure if I should get sports chrono or not. I thought with the savings I could get the leather interior and deviated stitching but was not sure if that would be a wise decision.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Are you ordering new or looking for used? I've played around with various 718 configurations. If you have not, use a "stripped" 4.0 GTS as an upper boundary which includes the six, Sport Chrono and other goodies. The GT4 is a track weapon. Today's used car prices are crazy. The turbo fours were not holding there values like the 981 sixes.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 10:26 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
Are you ordering new or looking for used? I've played around with various 718 configurations. If you have not, use a "stripped" 4.0 GTS as an upper boundary which includes the six, Sport Chrono and other goodies. The GT4 is a track weapon. Today's used car prices are crazy. The turbo fours were not holding there values like the 981 sixes.
I would prefer new but am open to used, but like you said, used prices are crazy. I also mess around with the configurator everyday (has become my nightly pastime lol). Yeah, a stripped down 4.0 would be awesome (GT4 is not for me and way over my budget). I was hoping at most low but $90k. I have been mainly configuring the S model with the Lava Orange (I really want to get that color...Shark Blue is my second choice) so it kind of comes down to Sports Chrono or the leather with Lava Orange deviated stitching. I am thinking most would say def go with the Sports Chrono and I think that is probably the smart play. I have a ways to wait so while waiting wanting to get people's opinions and keep messing with the configurator.

I could skip the special color and go with Guards Red or White, then I can get both.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:00 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

Post up the Porsche Build Link

Got to get SC with PDK.

Leather for sure.

PTV also.

Put some Sport PASM on also.

Work the rest to meet your budget.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:15 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

agree with others, sport+ is a bit too much for street driving. i would probably pass on PTV as it eats rear brake pads and you won't need the "extra help" turning on the street. when talking with a friend who is a sales guy he suggested for non-track cars to go with the options you like but pick out something a little special or non-normal to give the car a bigger resale value. i think your choice in color with the deviated stitching would be a good start. that being said imo white is the only way to go, but that is my taste.
pkalhan (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 11:52 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
agree with others, sport+ is a bit too much for street driving. i would probably pass on PTV as it eats rear brake pads and you won't need the "extra help" turning on the street. when talking with a friend who is a sales guy he suggested for non-track cars to go with the options you like but pick out something a little special or non-normal to give the car a bigger resale value. i think your choice in color with the deviated stitching would be a good start. that being said imo white is the only way to go, but that is my taste.
PTV eating up rear brake pads? I think that’s an overblown comment. Did an SA tell you that?

Anyway, you also get a mechanical LSD.

I have 10000 miles on my 718, can feel PTV all the time in the Hill Country. Just had an annual service at OPC, pad wear normal.
Old 02-12-2022, 12:45 PM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalhan
I would prefer new but am open to used, but like you said, used prices are crazy. I also mess around with the configurator everyday (has become my nightly pastime lol). Yeah, a stripped down 4.0 would be awesome (GT4 is not for me and way over my budget). I was hoping at most low but $90k. I have been mainly configuring the S model with the Lava Orange (I really want to get that color...Shark Blue is my second choice) so it kind of comes down to Sports Chrono or the leather with Lava Orange deviated stitching. I am thinking most would say def go with the Sports Chrono and I think that is probably the smart play. I have a ways to wait so while waiting wanting to get people's opinions and keep messing with the configurator.

I could skip the special color and go with Guards Red or White, then I can get both.
If you are looking at 718's here is something to consider regarding Sport+, a discovery I made last week for the first time. My wife's 2018 CGTS 4-pot (718 aka 982) will upshift automatically even when Sport+ is engaged. It seems to sense when you are not driving aggressively it upshifts according to your driving style.

Whereas my 2015 CGTS (981) will not upshift even when not driving aggressively, at least not near as soon as the 718 will. Anyone else experience this difference between the 981 and 718 generations?

As far as using Sport+, I have read here on Rennlist there are a lot of us who use Sport+ frequently on the 981's. For me, I like the ability to easily control the gear and rpm I want when I want it. The 6's are at their best in the higher rpm range.
pkalhan (02-12-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 12:48 PM
A1Aflorida
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pkalhan
Hi Everyone,

My apology, I previously attached the below to the wrong quote, or original poster.

Just have a simple question. For those owners who have a PDK (I guess manual would work as well) and have Sports Chrono, how often do you use Sports +? Also, when do you use it? Is it strictly when you track the car? Just trying to see if I really need it as an option.

Thanks!!
If you are looking at 718's here is something to consider regarding Sport+, a discovery I made last week for the first time. My wife's 2018 CGTS 4-pot (718 aka 982) will upshift automatically even when Sport+ is engaged. It seems to sense when you are not driving aggressively it upshifts according to your driving style.

Whereas my 2015 CGTS (981) will not upshift even when not driving aggressively, at least not near as soon as the 718 will. Anyone else experience this difference between the 981 and 718 generations?

As far as using Sport+, I have read here on Rennlist there are a lot of us who use Sport+ frequently on the 981's. For me, I like the ability to easily control the gear and rpm I want when I want it. The 6's are at their best in the higher rpm range.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:51 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A1Aflorida

I declined the Sport Chrono/Sport+ recall for the 981s. As I understand it this recall update for too much emissions with PDK Sport+ changes the shift behavior to what you described for your 718.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:17 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I would not buy a PDK car without Sports Chrono.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:55 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 347 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
PTV eating up rear brake pads? I think that’s an overblown comment. Did an SA tell you that?

Anyway, you also get a mechanical LSD.

I have 10000 miles on my 718, can feel PTV all the time in the Hill Country. Just had an annual service at OPC, pad wear normal.
Respectfully, increased pad wear on PTV equipped cars is well documented. A hard-driven/tracked car with PTV will increase pad wear. It has to, simple physics. I reckon 10,000 road miles is too few to notice.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:20 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
it's not and i didn't need anyone to tell me. i experienced it. you are welcomed to believe what you want but maybe take a look around the forum and see all the posts on this topic.
The following 2 users liked this post by nineball:
BondJ (02-13-2022), IndigoInkTaco (02-17-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:14 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
Respectfully, increased pad wear on PTV equipped cars is well documented. A hard-driven/tracked car with PTV will increase pad wear. It has to, simple physics. I reckon 10,000 road miles is too few to notice.
Good grief, yes, on a “hard driven track car” it is only common sense this would happen. What doesn’t wear fast on a “hard driven track car”? Guess what everything…lol.

I guess you’ll tell me next that having the mechanical LSD, which comes with PTV, has a problem also. Most sports car owners I know want a LSD.

All the 718 GT cars come with PTV and LSD and not one thread commenting on this being a problem.

Where did the OP declare he was going to be “hard driving” this car on the track?

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono and PDK