Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 991 Folding Buckets in a 718 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 12:11 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

Here is a pick of the Cantrell sub belt mount on the driver's side seat. It attaches to the seat mounting rails using the stock 4 bolts found on the front of the seat mount. I had to move my control box as well. Used the de-pin and add to connector approach as shown above for the seat position sensor. This seat is in the car and working now

For the passenger seat, I am a little unclear how @mr.t0fu handled the seat heating and occupancy sensor wiring. I don't see a custom "interface adapter" in the seat images above. Did you just remove the 4 seat heating wires from the main connector on the existing harness and install in the "new" passenger harness? Or, did you remove all the required wiring from the new harness and treat it like a donor harness for the occupancy sensor wiring? Seems like the latter, which seems like a great updated approach to the original efforts that used the new harness in it's entirety to "replace" the existing harness.

Lastly, for the occupancy sensor you installed it functional with a sub belt. From the pictures it appears to be placed just behind the sub belt opening on the seat shell.

Last edited by cbracerx; 09-11-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 07:59 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

I went ahead and tried the approach suggested in my post above to use the new harness as a donor harness and add _just _ the wires needed to support the occupancy sensor on the passenger seat. It worked out just fine and no codes or airbag light. In the end you only need to add three pins/wires to the existing main plug for the occupancy sensor, and two pins for seat position sensor. Makes a pretty clean install.

Seat with occupancy sensor using existing opening and with Seat Position Sensor wired into main plug.

Main Plug with Seat Position Sensor.

All you need from the donor passenger wiring harness - this is for the Occupancy Sensor.

The only pins needed for the Occupancy Sensor.

The only wires needed for the Occupancy Sensor.

The sensor harness taped up and all three new pins added to the existing main connector.

Seat ready to be installed.

All done.

No CEL or Airbag Light

The following 2 users liked this post by cbracerx:
037 (01-08-2023), Z06jerry (09-12-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 02:08 AM
bob78h
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow, nice work!

Although I love the LWBS, there is one thing about the folding buckets that I find appealing, which is the bolster is a separate part and easily replaceable.
The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (09-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Installing 991 Folding Buckets in a 718 Cayman