Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$15k markup because I am from out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 12:23 PM
ridestp
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default $15k markup because I am from out of state?

Hey everyone, first post here! I am ready to throw down for a Boxster GTS 4.0, and have been for months, but allocations are crazy hard to come by. While I really want a spec build, a GTS popped up on the Porsche website today that ticked enough boxes, at https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-718-boxster-gts-40-new-YV32WE. Upon calling Porsche El Paso, I was informed that because I am out of state, there’d be a $15k markup! There isn’t even a Porsche dealer in Arkansas!!

This was quite off putting, making me not even want to work with the dealer. Is that a normal practice?
Old 10-05-2021, 12:30 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

there is no normal right now. i've seen multiple dealers marking up cars $15k-$25k over sticker just because they can.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:02 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,284 Likes on 804 Posts

I got that at a few dealers, when checking for the last of the 981 GT4s.
Old 10-05-2021, 01:14 PM
1swift1
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer markups are a reality basically because they can. Supply is far less than demand. While I was searching for my Spyder last year, I called 5-6 dealerships within 300 miles of me and had luck contacting a high volume dealership with an allocation (Walters in Riverside) that sold at MSRP. Once I locked in my order, I immediately cut contact with the other dealerships that were placing these markups, and one of them called me back to try to get my business. I explained I wasn't interested in paying ADM, and they indicated that if I was local, they would work with me and not charge the ADM. They explained that when they develop a relationship with a local customer, that supports their service department, which is good for business. I get it, and appreciate that it's a business, but it was a turn-off when they slapped a $25k ADM on a lightly used GT4. Bottom line, the current market, lack of chips, global shipping delays, and COVID might make finding a vehicle or allocation very difficult. That doesn't mean you can't call every single dealership in the continental U.S. to possibly find your dream car. Shipping in an enclosed transport is $2-3k. Buy your car somewhere else and ship it for less than El Paso's ADM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1swift1:
mikedotd (10-06-2021), ridestp (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 01:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Many dealers are doing that. Particularly if you don't have a trade.
They don't have many cars to sell.
If you had a desirable trade, they may be more willing to work with you.
Strange times when even the ubiquitous Camry is being marked up!
Old 10-05-2021, 01:51 PM
ridestp
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1swift1
Dealer markups are a reality basically because they can. Supply is far less than demand. While I was searching for my Spyder last year, I called 5-6 dealerships within 300 miles of me and had luck contacting a high volume dealership with an allocation (Walters in Riverside) that sold at MSRP. Once I locked in my order, I immediately cut contact with the other dealerships that were placing these markups, and one of them called me back to try to get my business. I explained I wasn't interested in paying ADM, and they indicated that if I was local, they would work with me and not charge the ADM. They explained that when they develop a relationship with a local customer, that supports their service department, which is good for business. I get it, and appreciate that it's a business, but it was a turn-off when they slapped a $25k ADM on a lightly used GT4. Bottom line, the current market, lack of chips, global shipping delays, and COVID might make finding a vehicle or allocation very difficult. That doesn't mean you can't call every single dealership in the continental U.S. to possibly find your dream car. Shipping in an enclosed transport is $2-3k. Buy your car somewhere else and ship it for less than El Paso's ADM.
Some good advice and reasoning in here. Thanks for the response!
Old 10-05-2021, 04:31 PM
Couchsachraga
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

If I understood my SA correctly the dealership is also marked by Porsche in terms of how many of the cars they sell stay local... so it may not just be to benefit the service department, but the dealership's relationship with Porsche as well.

As noted times are strange right now. I'm at 7 months or so waiting for an allocation, and it has been 11 months since the dealer had ANY 718 allocations. I'm hoping November allocation and spring delivery as around here summer cars go in to storage during salt./ snow season.

Good luck - I hope you find the perfect car!
Old 10-05-2021, 05:30 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,163 Posts

I don’t see any new BGTS on Porsche’s Shopping Tool.

Sounds like you found a unicorn.

Reality is if 1 was available across almost 200 dealers $15K sounds about right.

It’s only an asking price, did you counter?

Anyone telling you what they did “last year” no longer applies.

Good luck in your search.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 05:34 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 288 Posts

That's just their excuse to you. If there is a local asking about the car, they'd probably give them some other reason for 15K markup.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (10-12-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

I had a dealer cancel my deal when they found I was out of province last year pre-craziness and imo15g is less crazy then that imo.

Although someone was looking out for me on that one because that allocation ended up being a part of the stop sale mess.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:19 PM
dicker
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That's quite common, and right now with the shortage of cars I would expect it.

I work for another brand and will not sell the hot/desirable cars out of state because we want the local business, especially for repeats, referrals and service. We also don't do over MSRP, so we have long waiting lists for most of the desirable models right now.

Quick Reply: $15k markup because I am from out of state?