Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Feasibility of Thicker Radiator Grill Mesh Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Feasibility of Thicker Radiator Grill Mesh Protection?

Greetings

Has anyone considered the feasibility of thicker radiator grill mesh material, in order to enhance protection of the front radiators from regional areas that produce high rock and bug traffic, but still do not induce a risk of a "noticeably sizable" increased engine temperature, due to restricted air flow?

Please correct my error, but on the C8 corvette's front, (what I think are AC condensers), material has been tested and utilized, [note; to a limited degree and not independently tested], which is claimed to provide enhanced radiator protection with no considerable risk to increased engine temperature and overheating.

Here is the product used on the C8...
https://www.ezscreenout.com/

Here is the limited test parameters...

Old 09-10-2021, 02:58 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

https://www.zunsport.com/us/product/...roduct_id=5625

they work great
The following users liked this post:
Paulywanacracker (09-10-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 04:47 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nineball
This brand looks very nice on your car, However...

What I am referring to is a increased density "fabric material" the goes behind the metal mesh grill and provides an increased level of filtration and protection.

This fabric can also be removed on occasion and machine washed on a gentle setting.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:01 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

Why would you need that? I put RGS grilles on my car (like the Zunsport) to keep track debris out and secondarily for cosmetics. I'm not aware that a radiator needs its own air filter or anything other than mechanical protection against debris.
RGS (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I wouldn't add anything more than the Zunsport grilles.
I tried another brand once on my Cayman R. Similar wire mesh pattern, but with flat wire instead of round. Blocked enough air flow to make the car run hot.
Any fabric or screen would likely do the same or worse. No thanks.
Paulywanacracker (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 05:29 PM
Paulywanacracker
Intermediate

Thank You. This is why I raised the feasibility question, so that individuals could comment to the positive and negative aspects to increased protection for those interested.

There are geographical and regional areas of the world that have a seasonally high levels of insects and rock debris. Consequently, individuals install the metal mesh to prevent radiator damage and it looks Great too!

However, depending upon the size of the mesh, debris is still able to enter and disfigure/damage the cooling fins of an expensive vehicle. Besides, insects, depending upon seasonal variations, can be quite dense and fill the radiator for an ugly appearance. Especially if car shows and resale values are important to some individuals. Rocks are very destructive to these cooling fins.

t's like walking around with food stuck in your teeth or not wearing a motorcycle helmet and getting pelted with an insect or rock. When it happens - you remember it!

Here in the Southwest of America, or where roads are maintained by gravel/tar seal mixtures, as these layers breakdown they create a massive issue for radiators, paint, and windscreens. Hence, PPF now being developed for exterior windscreens.

Individuals have expressed a growing problem with this on their cars. In fact, in the S/W Americas they have some of the highest glass liability claims in the world.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2021...ont-radiators/
Old 09-11-2021, 01:51 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I made my own protectors out of 'fire guard gutter mesh' that has quite small holes. I have noticed no engine temperature changes in days up to 44°C.
Paulywanacracker (09-11-2021)

Quick Reply: The Feasibility of Thicker Radiator Grill Mesh Protection?