Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last day to make build changes… MF steering wheel or not w/ MT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 01:17 PM
Payman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Last day to make build changes… MF steering wheel or not w/ MT?

I think I can easily go without it… I find myself using both stereo-located ***** and steering wheel mounted controls equally in my Lexus IS.

I guess my only real concern would be if a MF wheel prevents the need to touch the screen often using Apple CarPlay? I’m a little OCD with touchscreens. My wife’s SUV has one and I can’t stand the fingerprints… the Lexus uses a mouse function.

Any lessons learned/experience and insight is appreciated!

Last edited by Payman; 09-06-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 01:31 PM
BoxsirGTS18
Track Day

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll vote for MF. I have it, and it is my primary method for controlling displays, volume, inputs, etc. I use voice primarily for CarPlay, but Siri can get stuck easily. It feels good to be locked-in on the steering wheel with both hands, especially at highway speeds. Of course, the PCM is in-play. Good luck on your build!
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:58 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

MF and voice control. You wont need to take your hands off the wheel.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Non-MF...looks a lot better and something different for a sports car. And I use my knuckle on the touchscreen so no fingerprints.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 09-06-2021 at 07:59 PM.
JBSea (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 PM
sonicworld
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Payman
I think I can easily go without it… I find myself using both stereo-located ***** and steering wheel mounted controls equally in my Lexus IS.

I guess my only real concern would be if a MF wheel prevents the need to touch the screen often using Apple CarPlay? I’m a little OCD with touchscreens. My wife’s SUV has one and I can’t stand the fingerprints… the Lexus uses a mouse function.

Any lessons learned/experience and insight is appreciated!
I'm confused, I thought the controls on the MF Steering Wheel were for the third dash display, you can use it to control the center infotainment touch screen as well?
Old 09-07-2021, 12:05 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicworld
I'm confused, I thought the controls on the MF Steering Wheel were for the third dash display, you can use it to control the center infotainment touch screen as well?
You are mostly correct. You can answer and hangup on phone calls with the multi function wheel instead of touching the screen, adjust radio volume, and a few other minor things.

I have the multifunction wheel on my Macan but not on my Cayman. Both have the same PCM versions. I personally prefer the naked wheel on my sports car.
sonicworld (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 10:45 AM
Payman
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies all, decided to go without the MF wheel.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:38 PM
SunnySF
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

My reply might be a bit too late... but I think you can go either way. Either wheel has its pros and cons. I have the MF wheel. Pros: Easy to raise and lower the music volume, and switch between tire-pressure and boost/oil temperature/oil pressure and other info on the 3rd dash display. Cons: I HATE the placement of the steering wheel heater button. It is located on the back of the steering wheel at the six-o'clock position. I always accidentally push it when I'm reversing out of my garage (odd angle garage entry/exit).
Old 09-08-2021, 04:11 PM
Payman
Intermediate

Thanks SunnySF, a little late , but helpful nonetheless!
Old 09-09-2021, 04:42 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnySF
My reply might be a bit too late... but I think you can go either way. Either wheel has its pros and cons. I have the MF wheel. Pros: Easy to raise and lower the music volume, and switch between tire-pressure and boost/oil temperature/oil pressure and other info on the 3rd dash display. Cons: I HATE the placement of the steering wheel heater button. It is located on the back of the steering wheel at the six-o'clock position. I always accidentally push it when I'm reversing out of my garage (odd angle garage entry/exit).
Non-MF wheel gets an extra steering column stalk to make scrolling through the right gauge pod display screens pretty easy. Compared to my Macan that does have the MF wheel, it's not all that much different as far as that functionality goes. I do strongly agree about the poor placement of the steering wheel heater button.

Quick Reply: Last day to make build changes… MF steering wheel or not w/ MT?