Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whose mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 08:34 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

OPs post of the Giulia cast aluminium strut tower looks to be substantially strengthened with the aluminium ribs when you compare it with the Porsche one which has no such addition. Yet a common technique for strengthening castings.
Originally Posted by Boba_kz

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0

Old 08-22-2021, 12:15 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
Me, sort of. I am watching news on this closely. I am still planning on buying GTS 4.0 (if I get allocation). There is no way I would consider buying GT4 or 718 Spyder (something I was entertaining before) now due to this issue.
That’s like saying, I’m not buying a GT4 because five owners crashed them into trees.

You do know there have been thousands of these cars on the road for years, right?
The following users liked this post:
wizee (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:31 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 831 Likes on 456 Posts

Lower any car to the max, while running on soft front springs, and then hit a hard pothole or curb. You’ll max out suspension travel, and break stuff. Maybe Porsche shouldn’t have allowed this much range of adjustment lowering the stock suspension, or documented the need to install stiffer springs when lowering more than a certain amount.

There hasn’t been a single reported instance of such failures on 718s that haven’t been modified improperly (eg. lowered excessively on stock springs) and/or taken massive hits.

There was the one guy who blew a rear shock tower on his Spyder last year, but the whole chassis was twisted beyond repair in that instance. He must have had a massive impact to cause that kind of damage, though he claimed the car twisted itself and blew a shock tower just driving on a smooth road… yeah right.

Quick Reply: Whose mistake?