Sponsored by:

Advice on a CGTS build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 12:25 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on a CGTS build?

Hi all, I have read a few posts about builds that have been helpful, and I thought I'd look for some advice while I wait for an allocation. I've got the build as below. It seems there are a few options that I see people comment on so I thought I'd broach a few of those topics:

- Smoking package - I see this recommended a lot - is it just the aesthetics?
- Seats: It seems there are strong opinions on many sides. I can understand the buckets for track days, but is there much of a difference between 14 and 18 way?
- SPASM vs PASM: this doesn't seem to be a standard option - thoughts? is this something you have to change with the dealer?
- interior: options seem a bit overwhelming - but with a lava manual, any suggestions one what might be best (aluminum, carbon, etc)?
- I deleted the door 718 decal. I don't see many "718 Cayman GTS" on the road from the rear. Is it that most folks delete this option too?
- Anything else I am missing that you love on your Cayman?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1CD780
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 AM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jonrviper
Hi all, I have read a few posts about builds that have been helpful, and I thought I'd look for some advice while I wait for an allocation. I've got the build as below. It seems there are a few options that I see people comment on so I thought I'd broach a few of those topics:

I did not order as I wanted a place for my keys. The opening is just big enough. If you won’t use the space get the package for the cover.

- Seats: It seems there are strong opinions on many sides. I can understand the buckets for track days, but is there much of a difference between 14 and 18 way?
I went 18 and did not compare to the 14. They haven’t disappointed.

- SPASM vs PASM: this doesn't seem to be a standard option - thoughts? is this something you have to change with the dealer?
SPASM Is standard. If you want a slightly more compliant ride and an additional 10mm in ride height go PASM as an option.

- interior: options seem a bit overwhelming - but with a lava manual, any suggestions one what might be best (aluminum, carbon, etc)?
All purely subjective, but I’d go all black interior with lava including leather trim. Not a fan of the aluminum brightwork.

- I deleted the door 718 decal. I don't see many "718 Cayman GTS" on the road from the rear. Is it that most folks delete this option too?
My butt is naked.

The PDLS+ lights are awfully impressive. I’d consider the premium package for them alone.

see above

Last edited by FLCAYMAN; 08-03-2021 at 12:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jonrviper (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:01 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like a beautiful build to me. That's a color I've never seen in person, so you'll have to share pics when it arrives. A couple answers for you:
  • Yes, seems like most go with the smoking package for aesthetic reasons and also for the extra cigarette lighter socket. No big deal either way, imho.
  • 14-way seats don't have the bolstering on the upper part of the seats. I had them on my 911, and I'm looking forward to the extra support with the 18-ways. 2-ways are probably fine too, just with less adjust-ability than the 18-ways. I think you want either the 2-way or the 18-way if you get the GTS.
  • SPASM vs. PASM: I suspect most of us wouldn't notice the difference between the two, as 1cm isn't going to dramatically alter the suspension travel. That said, most people go with SPASM (the default) unless they live in an area where ground clearance and/or road conditions mandate the extra 1cm.
The following users liked this post:
jonrviper (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Turns a gaping hole into something with a cover that can hold stuff and with the cover closed that stuff won't fly out. The extra outlet is useful from time-to-time.

There is a huge difference. 25% of folks hate the M-way seats and love the N-way seats. 25% love the N-way seats and hate the M-way seats. 50% can't tell the difference.

Note that there are also manual versions of each architecture and that the manual version of the 18-way seat is standard on the GTS.

Look again. In the performance section. SPASM is standard on the GTS. PASM is a $0 option.

Subjective. I like leather rather than any of the 'metal' or CF options.

Yes. But, you can't get them on a GTS.

In other news, I would not want the Premium Package.
- LED headlights. Available separately.
- Light Design Package. Meh.
- The power folding mirrors don't look as good as the standard sport mirrors. Configurator is not showing the difference. And how often do you actually need to fold the mirrors?
- LCA? Adjust your mirrors so as to see into the blind spot and you don't need LCA.
- Porsche entry and drive? Another attack surface for hackers. Convenient on your grocery getter.
- Heated MF wheel. Available separately.
- Luggage net - $0 option.
- Bose - the worst of the three choices unless it's good enough that you will never ever want to upgrade. If you do think you may want to upgrade in the future then you want to start with the base system.

If I was getting Lava Orange I would get the Natural Leather Espresso interior.

If I was getting Lava Orange I would get brake calipers in black. (Red and Lava are a bit 'clashy.')

And I would get ventilated seats.

Fire extinguisher. It's the only factory option that is 'worth it.' You can't add one for less later (unless you don't value your time and DIY.)
The following 4 users liked this post by worf928:
75north (08-03-2021), dichael (08-03-2021), dinosaur7 (08-03-2021), jonrviper (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:55 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
- The power folding mirrors don't look as good as the standard sport mirrors. Configurator is not showing the difference. And how often do you actually need to fold the mirrors?
Unlike the 981 and pre-992 911s, 982/718 employs the same looking sport mirror regardless of whether they are power folding or not. That's one option I really wished my pre-owned 718 has as my garage bay is narrow and I've bumped into my mirrors numerous times.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Unlike the 981 and pre-992 911s, 982/718 employs the same looking sport mirror regardless of whether they are power folding or not. That's one option I really wished my pre-owned 718 has as my garage bay is narrow and I've bumped into my mirrors numerous times.
Good to know!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:53 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks good.
Personally, I would add the door handles in black. Would help to break up the massive field of orange.
I'd also delete the model designation in the rear. It's way too busy. And maybe do the Porsche logo in satin black.

But that's why there are so many choices - so you can get what you like.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Try this build for kicks: http://www.porsche-code.com/PNYTFML6

I removed the Premium Package, then added PDLS+ and BOSE (which can be removed if you don't need) back in. I removed the rear model designation. I added black brake calipers, satin black rear valance logo, and brushed aluminum interior trim and shift **** to match your silver wheels. Plus, the factory silver plastic trim glares in your eyes when light hits it at the right (wrong) angle. Brushed aluminum won't have that problem. Swap it for black aluminum if you don't like the silver.

Only thing I might change if I were buying this and brave enough to go Lava might be Platinum or Aurum colored wheels, then the black brushed aluminum trim to match.

Anyway, that's my take on your build. Good luck and congrats in advance!
Old 08-03-2021, 06:24 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
There is a huge difference. 25% of folks hate the M-way seats and love the N-way seats. 25% love the N-way seats and hate the M-way seats. 50% can't tell the difference.
hahaha! that’s awesome, worf!
Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dichael
hahaha! that’s awesome, worf!
Eh… I outsmarted myself on that one. And then didn’t proof read.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:05 PM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree the Espresso interior with the lava orange deviated stitching would look the best. Here are some pictures I found.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:45 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

Thanks. Now that i look at it I think the door handles add a lot and simplifying the model will be a good call.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:48 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to play around with these options a bit more. I think the brake calipers will be a good call after looking at the pics a bit closer. Removing the premium package...I assume it is the LCA and entry & drive you are avoiding and then giving the audio your own option to upgrade?

Good advice on the glare. I'll look at the interior a bit more closely.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

Thanks, jake. I wouldn't have considered the espresso interior initially, but it might give a bit more balanced interior. Appreciate you finding some similar pics!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:50 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

work, why is the fire extinguisher such a good option?

Quick Reply: Advice on a CGTS build?