Sponsored by:

How many Cayman T and Boxster T’s

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 08:22 PM
Kats
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zbladejr
New here and glad I found this group. I had no idea the T was so rare; hopefully, we keep it that way and helps resale value somewhere down the line.

I do need your advice though. I just put a deposit on a 2022 6MT Cayman T (GT silver), no discount of course....they only have one allocation for the foreseeable future as far as they know. I did drive the 6MT S and thought the engine sound was a bit obnoxious versus the 2.0 that I drove (but with a PDK).

Since this is my first Porsche (super excited; the only reason I found out about it was wanted an M2 Competition and they stopped producing them....6MT nowhere to be found) I'd like input from owners on what is a 'must have' versus nice to have.

Currently, I'm thinking to go with base Race Tex seats (black) without the T interior package; no smoking package; Premium Package, extended fuel tank, power steering plus (?), aluminum pedals. Appreciate any and all advice. Need to finalize the build in the next couple of weeks (not that I'm spending all my free time thinking about it...lol). Looks like current expected delivery at entry port in 11/19.

Unrelated to build; been seeing videos talking about turbo lag below 3k RPM on the base 718; is this different mapping for the T? Any difference for 6MT?

Z
My vision of the "T" was as a minimalist car, so I spec'd it that way and tried my best to keep it simple. My only luxury was a Bose stereo, entry & drive, and the black leather interior. I didn't upgrade the head lights (though I LOVE the 4 point DRLs) because I don't like the washer nipples. I also skipped the heating steering wheel because I didn't want the controls on them, I wanted it clean ( I naturally rest my hand on the shifter, so moving it forward an inch is easier than moving my hand back onto the wheel. LCA is not helpful for me since I set my mirrors to the blind spots, and folding mirrors I never use (I have them on another Porsche). Same thing with ACC, I have it on a Macan and it mostly annoys me on the highway.

I really struggled back and forth on the pin stripe seats I must admit - especially as the other poster mentioned that it is exclusive to the T. But to do that with the leather option was close to 6K (CDN) and I wasn't a 100% fan of the contrast stitching on the dash but still didn't want the plastic. Since it was a 50/50 thing with me, I played it safe (and saved money) and checked off the black leather interior (Which with the sporttek (non alcantara micro suede crap I hate) seat centers is a configuration I couldn't find on another 718 - so I think it's kind of exclusive too) . Lastly, for me it was unquestionable to stick with the 6MT and the larger fuel tank. I didn't go with the smokers package because I found the space useful for extra keys, sunglasses, or my iphone mini. The "T" IMO is really a smartly spec'd car direct from the factory.

Last edited by Kats; 08-06-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:25 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

New here and glad I found this group. I had no idea the T was so rare; hopefully, we keep it that way and helps resale value somewhere down the line.
Resale value? Meh. Maybe in 2040 when gas powered sports cars are like racing horses and sell for a $1M (hyper-inflation-adjusted future dollars) I'll worry about that.

I'd like input from owners on what is a 'must have' versus nice to have.
The T pretty much covers the must haves: SPASM, PTV, SC, etc.

You've seen other's responses. Here are mine:

Currently, I'm thinking to go with base Race Tex seats (black) without the T interior package;
A functional reason to get the leather interior (any color) is that the non-leather door panels in the 991/981/718 are known to warp after a few years sitting in the sun. The leather-clad door panels do not seem to warp (so far.)

Other than that... whatevs...

no smoking package;
Like the others: extra outlet, cover for the hole. Useful. Less of an eyesore that the open gape at the end of the console.

Premium Package
I would not want the Premium Package.
- LED headlights. Available separately. Very nice if intended use includes a lot of night driving. If not, the standard Bi-Xenons are fine.
- Bose - the worst of the three choices unless it's good enough that you will never ever want to upgrade. If you do think you may want to upgrade in the future then you want to start with the base system.
- Porsche entry and drive? Another attack surface for hackers. Convenient on your grocery getter. Have it on our Macan. It's fine. Don't miss it at all on the Sports Cars.
- LCA? Adjust your mirrors so as to see into the blind spot and you don't need LCA. Macan had LCA. Glad it had an off button. Park Assist is also most annoying, is standard, and defaults to on.
- Heated MF wheel. Available separately.
- Light Design Package. Meh. Adds some artsy lighting that is otherwise non-functional. Don't miss it on my T one bit.
- How often do you actually need to fold the mirrors? For me it lost its charm by the third time I did it (on a car long gone.)
- Luggage net - $0 option. Have it on the 991. I have never, ever found a use for it. It'll hold a credit card. Not much else.

extended fuel tank
Yup. 400+ mile range is cool even if my bladder won't hold for 400 miles.

power steering plus
Can't stand it. Yes it only operates a low speeds. But a lot of driving is done at "PSP speed" and it just feels artificial and too light.

aluminum pedals
The standard pedals work fine. Bling that you will never see. $500 on a leather steering column with deviated stitching is bling you will see every time you enter or exit.

Fire Extinguisher. If you intend to DE and your region requires an FE, you can't get one installed cheaper than and as as-good as the factory option.

been seeing videos talking about turbo lag below 3k RPM on the base 718;
Cough. Bull-she-eye-t. Cough.

Below ~2100 RPM, yes it takes a while to build boost. Easy to keep it it above 2k and on the boost threshold with PDK or MT.

is this different mapping for the T? Any difference for 6MT?
PDK feels livelier because it will side-step the clutch for you (at least in launch control mode.)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:36 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Ok manual to PDK comparison and options.

I drive my PDK white T much more than my red Manual. PDK seems quieter. Manual feels more raw.
I had led headlights on manual car and wish I had them on PDK car.
Must have IMO is the striped sport Tex 718 interior package seats. They really pop and are SUPER comfortable.
I have the leather door on he red manual car and that car lives in the garage while white PDK has regular base door inside car, and lives outside for the most part….so let’s see if I will have problems with the door panel.

I say if you are going to drive the car a lot and commute in traffic then PDK. Weekend canyon driving manual.
I seem to be putting the most miles on my white PDK lately, and not driving my RS3 or the red manual that much.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:42 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Navigation is an extra option. Not a big deal to me, but you have to decide if you want your mobile decive connected for GPS or native.

Backup camera and park sensors are standard. Backup cameras are now required in all new vehicles manufactured in 2017 onward for the US.

​​​​The seat bolsters are leather with Sport Tex. Can't speak to wear in the T as we haven't had it long enough. But generally wear in Porsches we have had has been good. You don't get memory seats with 18 ways and the steering wheels adjustment is manual, not power. If this matters to you and you and your wife switch vehicles often.

​​​​​​I would also encourage the leather dash. It includes the door panels and dash and steps up the interior feel considerably. I don't love the standard dash and door material.

Last edited by iammacey; 08-08-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:41 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

The only thing I feel very strongly about is the smoking package. I very much believe not getting it is a mistake. Having that extra port for easy trickle charger plug in more than justifies it. If you don't get it, the cubby is so shallow and small that it's only good for collecting lint and dust. There are pretty deep door pockets that will hold anything you think you want to put in that cubby much more securely.
The following users liked this post:
iammacey (08-09-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 10:24 AM
Brett_G
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Guys, thanks for all the input and suggestions. I think the toughest decision is manual vs PDK.....I love manual cars, my wife really wants PDK (though she does have a new Macan so not exactly slumming it). We drove a CPO 2018 718 base with PDK and it felt a lot like my son's 2017 230i (maybe a bit faster and certainly a bunch louder)....so that's just not all that special for me.

I think I'll keep the interior spartan but go with LED's and Bose; skip the leather and go with base Race Tex without deviated stitching (I know it's cool but seems a lot of money for a strip down sports car). No power steering +; yes on larger fuel tank; yes on fire extinguisher; no on smoke package (the extra space will be nice for keys or wallet); no on fancy pedals; and....I think I'll go with the premium package.

I'll sleep on it and overthink it for another week or so and get back to you guys.

Oh, and my neighbor will let me drive his 2018 GTS 6MT this week so that should seal the deal on the manual (and of course on a tune to bump the power by 50 bhp...asap :-).

Last couple questions - does the T come standard with backup camera and parking sensors?
Also, is the only way to get navigation is by buying the expensive Porsche Connect....I gues there's Apple car play standard in all options....correct?
Finally, If I go with standard Sport Tex sport seat plus, will the outside of the seats be pleather (or real leather)? How does it wear if not real, compared to real leather?

Thanks guys - this is all very helpful!
Late to the party but my 2cents for what its worth!

The RaceTex is awesome - I live in Central Texas and have had many cars with "cooled" seats and to be frank, at a certain temperature, it matters more about the material than if it has a "cooling" feature. The race-tex is awesome and far better than leather in the heat. It does not come across as "fabric" in person. Others have mentioned but I feel its a slept on option that they marketed terribly as a company on perception of it!

I ordered my T and suppose I slippery-sloped mine with long term ownership considerations. I went with premium package, full leather with stitching, 6-spd, T interior package (racetex), fire extinguisher, steering plus, extended tank, and my gluttonous sport design package in gloss black (posted some pics previously). I don't regret any of the options and feel that the other little bits really give the car that "special" feel. Tune is practically required for these cars in my opinion, but coming from a 650HP z06 as my last car, I can't stop grinning!
Old 08-09-2021, 10:48 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brett_G
Late to the party but my 2cents for what its worth!

The RaceTex is awesome - I live in Central Texas and have had many cars with "cooled" seats and to be frank, at a certain temperature, it matters more about the material than if it has a "cooling" feature. The race-tex is awesome and far better than leather in the heat. It does not come across as "fabric" in person. Others have mentioned but I feel its a slept on option that they marketed terribly as a company on perception of it!

I ordered my T and suppose I slippery-sloped mine with long term ownership considerations. I went with premium package, full leather with stitching, 6-spd, T interior package (racetex), fire extinguisher, steering plus, extended tank, and my gluttonous sport design package in gloss black (posted some pics previously). I don't regret any of the options and feel that the other little bits really give the car that "special" feel. Tune is practically required for these cars in my opinion, but coming from a 650HP z06 as my last car, I can't stop grinning!
I love the T interior. It sounds like you are describing Sport-Tex. Race-Tex is Porsche branding for Alcantara. Sport-Tex is the T specific seat material and it's awesome. I should have ordered LWB inserts in Sport-Tex when it was available.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:32 AM
Brett_G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey
I love the T interior. It sounds like you are describing Sport-Tex. Race-Tex is Porsche branding for Alcantara. Sport-Tex is the T specific seat material and it's awesome. I should have ordered LWB inserts in Sport-Tex when it was available.
Yup - too early. You are correct I was describing Sport-Tex. (That's what I get browsing the forums while trying to get work done on a Monday!
Old 08-11-2021, 06:34 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

One thing that is confusing to me on the online configurator is what leather bids do I get if I choose the $2,770 718 T Interior package versus if I go with the $2,160 Leather Interior / Sport Tex Seat Centers package. What is the difference other than the striping on the Sprort Tex and the colored door handles and seat belts? Anyone know? To me the configurator is lacking in detail.
$2770 is the T interior, which includes deviated colors. If you want leather and deviated colors, it's both the $2770 and $2160.

On the screenshot below, you will see Includes in leather - this is what is different in the Leather package.

Then there is "Extended Leather" as well. Which is a separate option and covers the rest of the dash and the trim on the dash, doors, and around the console.

rasetsu (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 11:06 AM
Brett_G
Rennlist Member

One thing that is confusing to me on the online configurator is what leather bids do I get if I choose the $2,770 718 T Interior package versus if I go with the $2,160 Leather Interior / Sport Tex Seat Centers package. What is the difference other than the striping on the Sprort Tex and the colored door handles and seat belts? Anyone know? To me the configurator is lacking in detail.
It is a little confusing and I did have two welcomed surprises with my order. I did not think my seatbelts were going to be red or that the seats would be heated because it wasn't clear on if those options were included in the T package on the online config - the printed PDF of the build had it included which I just noticed. I have the T package and the extended leather package:

And here is a terrible photo trying to show the interior:

Obnoxiously large photo but need it to see the leather/stitching all over...

Old 08-12-2021, 11:19 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 913 Likes on 560 Posts

This would be a must have for me. Having driven a 718 with all vinyl dash and door cards and then stumbling on a leather interior optioned S that I ended up buying, I can't go back to not having the leather dash top at a minimum.

Last edited by rasetsu; 08-12-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Brett_G (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 02:40 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

It is a little confusing and I did have two welcomed surprises with my order. I did not think my seatbelts were going to be red or that the seats would be heated because it wasn't clear on if those options were included in the T package on the online config - the printed PDF of the build had it included which I just noticed. I have the T package and the extended leather package:

Gorgeous! A lot like my Red T……..with the super classy leather dash.
My daughter is coming into town and she got me to promise to let her borrow it for the week, as she wanted to show off her manual transmission skills to a new boyfriend. I had to say yes…….as I guess it’s kinda a bribe to the daughter so I don’t fall even further behind my ex as the favorite parent.
Brett_G (08-12-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 06:36 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

One reason I got my T was the Sport-Tex interior:

The following 3 users liked this post by worf928:
75north (08-17-2021), rasetsu (08-13-2021), YetiMan (08-13-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 04:31 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

The yellow looks really nice. So, is yours the interior leather with Sport Tex
Yes. Leather interior with 718 T Interior Package. Along with steering column and sport seats plus backrest shells in leather.

or the Extended leather....
There is no "Extended Leather" option on the 718. There are "Dashboard Trim" and "Door Panel Trim" leather package options.

is your dash leather too?
Yes. More-or-less. The large flat-then-curving-down surface of the top of the dash and the top of the instrument binnacle are leather with deviated stitching. The very leading, approximately 2 inches, forward edge of the dash under the base of the windshield that incorporates the defrost vents as well as the center speaker and dash-corner vents are plastic.

I guess I'm still confused. So if want the Sport-Tex with a leather dash and deviated stitching...what's the least expensive way to do that? Is the above screenshot the T package or T package plus another leather one (which one)?
The T package adds the color-deviated stitching and the patterned seat centers to the non-leather interior.

The Leather Interior with the T package option results in a leather dash as described above along with the lower portion (beneath the belt line trim) in leather also. And the deviated stitching, leather door panels etc. Two additional pictures enclosed below.

The "Dashboard Trim" and "Door Panel Trim" leather packages cover remaining plastic bits (in particular vents and trim around vents) in leather. They are expensive and IMO not a good idea in the long term. The vent bits are subjected to intense heat, sun, and moisture cycles that will, over the long run, shrink and/or otherwise destroy the leather.

The descriptions of these packages/options on the configurator seem to be pretty complete. Click on the "i" box to get details.

rasetsu (08-20-2021)
Old 08-14-2021, 06:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will need to undergo hypnotherapy to stop thinking about it for next 4 months while I'm waiting on delivery....lol
The Porsche A.G. method:

You are getting very sleepy. When we snap our fingers you will wake up and select a lot of extra-cost leather options for your Porsche build.

Quick Reply: How many Cayman T and Boxster T’s