Sponsored by:

Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 05:51 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive

Here in the northeastern portion of the aptly nicknamed Prairie State of Illinois, we're starved for curved forested roads and changing elevations. I've longingly read here and on the 991 forum of visits to TOTD and the Canyon drives in CA (the best part of The Smoking Tire videos). While we have some nice country roads within less than an hour's drive of our home, and I have some favorite routes, they're mostly straight and flat. Yesterday, my wife and I decided to try out Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive in Wisconsin, which actually is made up of many different roads with MANY turns, so many that my wife had to serve as navigator with the a sheet I had printed out with all the turns. The southern tip of the Scenic Drive, at Whitewater Lake, WI, is 79 miles northwest of where we live (we're only 25 miles from the IL-WI line), and the northern end of it is at a park in Elkhart Lake, WI (home of Road America), 115 miles miles away. To give you an idea of the many road changes and curves, the fast route all the way home was about 70 miles less than the route all the way up there. It was well worth it! There was minimal traffic on the way up. We did encounter a brief traffic delay coming back home leaving Elkhart Lake, because of the NASCAR Cup race which had just ended. We have plans to return in the fall, and again at a dry spell in winter. And, last night, after 300 miles in the Spyder, a little while after we got home, I was looking forward to taking it out again!
Old 07-05-2021, 10:14 PM
Dr.JDK
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 78 Posts

We would appreciate some pictures, OP : )
The following users liked this post:
yellolab (07-06-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 11:05 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr.JDK
We would appreciate some pictures, OP : )
So sorry, we were so busy learning and following the route that neither of us even thought to take pix! Next time....
Old 07-06-2021, 11:05 AM
Lugnutty
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like fun! Do you have a route to share?

There are some reasonably fun roads hidden around the northern Illinois area, but the glaciers pretty much knocked northern Illinois flat a few years ago Getting up into the Kettle Moraine area or any of the Wisconsin Rustic Roads is always fun driving! Maybe we could get a little group drive going
Old 07-06-2021, 03:14 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 422 Posts

I love that run from northern Illinois all the way to Elkhart Lake via the B-Roads and have done many miles on the weekends driving those. Usually head out around 4am, 2-3 Saturdays a month, in the late fall and winter (you'll have the roads to yourself). Catch 83 off of 50 heading west towards Lake Geneva from I-94. Then north to Oconomowoc. Find Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive and a then let fate help you find country roads that continue to make ones way north. There are too many options to list.

Great reason to get some cold weather tires. Heaters and defrosters work great in these.

Look me up in later in the year if anyone is interested.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 923 Posts

Here's a pretty solid route that was shared with me, that I tried to put against Google Maps.
Please note, the road conditions have changed over time. Some are paved better than others these days!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/ed...bI&usp=sharing

Takes you from Delafield to Elkhart Lake, primarily through back roads

If I was to do one edit, I would hit 83 a bit longer and then cross over at Q. So do the "Green" and skip the "Red"

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 07-06-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:23 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

A group drive sounds like a great idea. And I indeed do the winter wheel swap, on both my P-cars. The KMSD route and maps are in PDFs available on a website for it set up by the State of Wisconsin. Here's the link: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/kmscenicdrive. The directions are laid out in detail, turn by turn. There's a ton of them. The beauty of a group drive is that, hopefully, only the lead car needs to follow them!

Last edited by AviBen; 07-06-2021 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phefner (07-06-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 11:32 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,174 Likes on 626 Posts

I’m from Wisconsin, I know the road, It’s a beautiful route.. I’ve done a ton of driving, cycling and cross-country skiing in the kettle moraine. I miss it..carl

Last edited by 4carl; 07-06-2021 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:56 AM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Try southwest Wisconsin. It is called the driftless area. The glaciers missed the area so it is hilly with a lot of great curvy hilly roads.
Old 07-11-2021, 12:34 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by 435
Try southwest Wisconsin. It is called the driftless area. The glaciers missed the area so it is hilly with a lot of great curvy hilly roads.
THIS!

The wife and I spent Memorial day weekend taking the long way to, from, and around LaCrosse, WI. Probably the best winding roads in the upper Midwest. Not California canyon runs, but about as good as it gets around here. Anything west of Madison is good and gets better the further west you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by Prairiedawg:
435 (07-11-2021), tomingrassia (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:57 PM
tomingrassia
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
Here in the northeastern portion of the aptly nicknamed Prairie State of Illinois, we're starved for curved forested roads and changing elevations. I've longingly read here and on the 991 forum of visits to TOTD and the Canyon drives in CA (the best part of The Smoking Tire videos). While we have some nice country roads within less than an hour's drive of our home, and I have some favorite routes, they're mostly straight and flat. Yesterday, my wife and I decided to try out Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive in Wisconsin, which actually is made up of many different roads with MANY turns, so many that my wife had to serve as navigator with the a sheet I had printed out with all the turns. The southern tip of the Scenic Drive, at Whitewater Lake, WI, is 79 miles northwest of where we live (we're only 25 miles from the IL-WI line), and the northern end of it is at a park in Elkhart Lake, WI (home of Road America), 115 miles miles away. To give you an idea of the many road changes and curves, the fast route all the way home was about 70 miles less than the route all the way up there. It was well worth it! There was minimal traffic on the way up. We did encounter a brief traffic delay coming back home leaving Elkhart Lake, because of the NASCAR Cup race which had just ended. We have plans to return in the fall, and again at a dry spell in winter. And, last night, after 300 miles in the Spyder, a little while after we got home, I was looking forward to taking it out again!
southwestern WI is a Porsche drivers dream. It is called the driftless area, meaning the glaciers did not scrape the land flat in the area.

Last edited by tomingrassia; 08-07-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive