Sponsored by:

Porsche Oil level gibberish.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche Oil level gibberish.

I've read that the oil level measurement display is pretty erratic. This is what I saw this morning while only hours ago, the oil level was at about 50%.
I'm going to assume that this Greek means that one quart should be added and that "Poss. to drive on" means that it's possible to continue driving? If any of you can interpret I'd appreciate it.
As it turns out. after a one hour stop, the indicator then displayed in the green again!

Why can't we have a simple dipstick? Is it too low tech for Porsche??

Thanks

Old 07-05-2021, 09:32 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,008 Likes on 546 Posts

You have interpreted correctly - it is at the bottom of the acceptable range, OK to drive but add a quart at the earliest opportunity. I'm sure there's slight variation depending on temperature, etc. that may make it range between the green and yellow threshold on the same day. I don't know that I'd call it gibberish - it made sense to me. WRT dipstick, no contemporary car that I'm aware of comes with one - in addition to my 718, I own a 2017 Acura SUV and 2012 and 2021 Audi sedans - the oil measurement is digital on all of them and the warning (only seen on my megamile 2012 Audi) is exactly the same as the one you've shown. FWIW, my 781 CS 2.5T never burns a drop of oil in street use, but burns about 1/4 quart per track weekend.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-05-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:27 PM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Well, if not gibberish, I'd say that "Max. 1 quart refill oil / Poss. to drive on" doesn't exactly state anything very clearly. Something like "Minimum oil, add 1 quart / ok to continue driving" would be more obvious.

We have several vehicles, non purchased in the last few years. I guess I haven't kept up with oil monitoring technology.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:37 PM
numnut
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Laptime
Well, if not gibberish, I'd say that "Max. 1 quart refill oil / Poss. to drive on" doesn't exactly state anything very clearly. Something like "Minimum oil, add 1 quart / ok to continue driving" would be more obvious.
Well in a way it does say that, the graph is on the min and the text says to add max 1 quart. Maybe a detail screen would help.

Old 07-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Laptime
Rennlist Member

Not to nit pick, but it doesn’t say add 1 quart max. That would have been easy to understand.

”Max.1 quart refill oil” is not normal syntax with the verb and subject reversed that way and “refill” doesn’t quite have the same meaning as add.

Maybe it’s a weak translation from German.
The following users liked this post:
cnw126 (07-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Porsche Oil level gibberish.