Sponsored by:

Ordering a 2021 718 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 07:41 PM
snackyx
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordering a 2021 718 questions

I'm new to the world of Porsche, so I'm curious about ordering a 718. Is allocation an issue? Are these cars generally available to order, and how long does it take to receive the car once ordered? and of course....do Porsche dealers negotiate on price? What can be reasonably be expected to be knocked off MSRP?
Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
The following users liked this post:
yellolab (06-14-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 08:36 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

It takes about 4-6+ months from the time you get an allocation, but getting an allocation could be instant or could be years depending on the dealer. The first step if you're serious is do a build online on the config tool, get the Porsche code it generates, talk to your local dealer, see how long the wait is for that exact model you are looking for and give them that code and get a commission number if you want to order with that specific dealer.

Some dealers may have an allocation good to go they can change, others may have a big lineup of people ahead of you to order.

Do not expect a discount now on a sports car, but depending on the model and options you used to be able to negotiate from nothing to a decent chunk of change off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
rasetsu (06-15-2021), yellolab (06-14-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by snackyx
I'm new to the world of Porsche, so I'm curious about ordering a 718. Is allocation an issue? Are these cars generally available to order, and how long does it take to receive the car once ordered? and of course....do Porsche dealers negotiate on price? What can be reasonably be expected to be knocked off MSRP?
Thanks in advance for any help/guidance.
I ordered my Cayman S mid January 2021 and picked it up April 28, MSRP was 86k and I paid a little over 80k + taxes. Dealer had an allocation and had a V200 almost immediately. I had never purchased a vehicle from this dealer so there wasnt a realationship so to speak . Not sure how much the situation has changed since January. I am in NJ if you are near Northern NJ I can give you my salesmans name. I was looking at a used 2018 for 67k and I told him I had priced one out on configurator for 84.5 how much would he give it to me for and he said 79.5k . I added a couple of options after to raise the price a little. Funny thing I didnt buy that day as I had to decide if I really wanted it(I have a 991 also so wasnt sure I really want to get a cayman but wanted a manual as my 991 is a pdk) and my guy was running a little late. He told me to go to another salesman who proceeded to start at MSRP. I decided to wait for my salesman needless to say. Good luck
Old 06-14-2021, 08:45 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I found an allocation about three weeks ago and felt lucky that I signed the deal for list price. The dealer is 1,000 miles from my home, so you might factor in a plane ticket. Right now dealers are marking the cars up over list price because allocations and inventory are way down due to supply chain issues from COVID. You may want to wait. My feeling is that it will be awhile until demand is fulfilled and finding an allocation at list price is the good deal at the moment. BTW, my dealer is throwing in a few trinkets for me.

I received a 6% discount on my 992 C2S last year, and that was a nice chunk of change. But when doing this deal, I felt it might be six months or more until dealers start doing a good discount. What was that time worth to me? It turned out to be 6%.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:48 PM
75north
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 25 Posts

A July allocation for a Base/S/T model opened up at my local dealer a few months back and I put in my order for a Cayman T in early April. I was originally supposed to get the car in late August or early September but I've recently been told that supply chain delays are pushing it back to the middle or end of November.

It sounds to me like overall wait times are at minimum 5-6 months right now, though others might have more insight into this.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:55 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by 75north
A July allocation for a Base/S/T model opened up at my local dealer a few months back and I put in my order for a Cayman T in early April. I was originally supposed to get the car in late August or early September but I've recently been told that supply chain delays are pushing it back to the middle or end of November.

It sounds to me like overall wait times are at minimum 5-6 months right now, though others might have more insight into this.
Right now mine is a little over four months from order to delivery, but I think your timeline seems to be the norm. Somehow I was lucky.
The following users liked this post:
75north (06-14-2021)
Old 06-15-2021, 12:42 PM
Couchsachraga
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

My local dealer has always been great to work with, so rather than shop around I'm waiting for them to receive an allocation. From my confirmation of wanting to order a 718 GTS in April they've said the same thing all along - next round of allocations they expect to see in July, delivery in Q4. Hopefully my patience waiting will pay off again with a fair deal and excellent service after the sale. The two previous purchased (albeit used) that has been the case. When I ordered my Ram 1500 (different dealer as you might expect) it also took several months (June or July, October delivery), and that was without supply chain disruptions and all in the US.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:38 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

How does finance work with long lead times and things like PTS? Do you end up locking in your rate now, but paying at delivery? Are you subject to the rates at the time of delivery?

With interest rates so unusually low Im tempted to leave 2/3 of the price of a Spyder invested, and take a low cost (e.g penfed) auto loan to pay off over as long a period as they'll give me, assumign that over the long run the investment will outperform the loan.

Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 AM
JonnyD72
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
How does finance work with long lead times and things like PTS? Do you end up locking in your rate now, but paying at delivery? Are you subject to the rates at the time of delivery?

With interest rates so unusually low Im tempted to leave 2/3 of the price of a Spyder invested, and take a low cost (e.g penfed) auto loan to pay off over as long a period as they'll give me, assumign that over the long run the investment will outperform the loan.

Any ideas?
You don't pay/finance the car until delivery, or at least until there's a VIN associated with the car. I don't see the point of making payments on a car that's on a vessel (VIN's are generated once the car is done with production) unless you're concerned the interest rates are going to climb in a little over a month's time?
Old 06-21-2021, 11:08 PM
John Tianqi Zhu
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

AFAIK getting a gt4 allocation should be reasonable for msrp. As long as you wait for delivery in oct/nov they’re pretty plentiful. Due to supply issues. No discounts for a while.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:51 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,824 Likes on 996 Posts

Any ideas?
I thought about investing the money earmarked for it while I wait but the market has been so volatile that the ‘safe’ mutual fund I would have dumped it in has been going up and down 5% every month like a seesaw. my stocks are down a bit since January too, so so far I’ve made the correct decision to just let put the money asleep sitting there.

Long term over 5 years you’ll be almost guaranteed to be significantly ahead investing the money just doing a decent mutual fund and using a heloc to finance it…… but the first rule of financial planning is only invest in a way where you can sleep at night. So if it bugs you just pay it off, if not, do whatever floats your boat. I myself am paying it off because my wife hates debt, otherwise I’d be financing it and investing (I think I have her ok if I do pay half, finance half and invest).
Old 06-24-2021, 11:56 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,059 Likes on 1,756 Posts

Originally Posted by raaizin
I ordered my Cayman S mid January 2021 and picked it up April 28, MSRP was 86k and I paid a little over 80k + taxes. Dealer had an allocation and had a V200 almost immediately. I had never purchased a vehicle from this dealer so there wasnt a realationship so to speak . Not sure how much the situation has changed since January. I am in NJ if you are near Northern NJ I can give you my salesmans name. I was looking at a used 2018 for 67k and I told him I had priced one out on configurator for 84.5 how much would he give it to me for and he said 79.5k . I added a couple of options after to raise the price a little. Funny thing I didnt buy that day as I had to decide if I really wanted it(I have a 991 also so wasnt sure I really want to get a cayman but wanted a manual as my 991 is a pdk) and my guy was running a little late. He told me to go to another salesman who proceeded to start at MSRP. I decided to wait for my salesman needless to say. Good luck
Hey,
Please give me your SA's info. I'm on Long Island.
Old 06-29-2021, 01:50 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 361 Posts

Any ideas?
You’re buying the car from the dealer and they can’t sell it to you until they own it. Title passes to the dealer when they are invoiced by PCNA. That’s sometime between the moment it leaves the port on a truck to the dealer and when it arrives at the dealer. In a world of supply chain delays and rising interest rates it can be a bit of an issue.

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2021 718 questions