Sponsored by:

PSE versus after-market

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,457 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by ashr43
Anybody have any videos (with good sound quality) for the Soul exhaust, or any others for that matter? '18 CGTS with PSE but it's a bit muffled for me...
The clips on their website are actually really good. Just scroll down on the page for each component and watch (and listen) to them.
The following users liked this post:
ashr43 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 11:25 AM
ashr43
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by asuptardorne
Can't vouch for sound quality. It's an iPhone. https://streamable.com/dl4e2m
That was perfect thank you! Looks like it's the performance exhaust (no mufflers)?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:32 AM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ashr43
That was perfect thank you! Looks like it's the performance exhaust (no mufflers)?
Yes. I am really happy with it. Was shocked at how much quieter it is in normal. Although not quiet when you are making moderate amounts of power. First drive was ear piercing and painful but in 60 miles it really got better. Don't know the science behind it, but I am pretty sure it's not me going deaf.

The underlying sounds coming out of the motor are really good. Easy to appreciate coming from an ND2 Miata which is flat and rhythmic all the time.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:32 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 71 Posts

Can't vouch for sound quality. It's an iPhone. https://streamable.com/dl4e2m
which exhaust do you have
Old 03-16-2021, 11:04 PM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Originally Posted by raaizin
which exhaust do you have
https://soulpp.com/product/porsche-7...mance-exhaust/
Old 03-16-2021, 11:36 PM
raaizin
Racer

Sounds great! does it drone on highway? How does it compare to valved exhaust...thnx Ray
Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 AM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Originally Posted by raaizin
Sounds great! does it drone on highway? How does it compare to valved exhaust...thnx Ray
Sound is a pretty personal thing. I think there is a big difference between a loud sound and offensive sound. You can have a pretty loud exhaust, but if it doesn't cause pain and fatigue it's fine. This is the sweet spot where the Boxster sits in normal even on the highway. I think the Boxster has a lot of motor and sound deadening in between you and the exhaust which helps.

When I got my GWR Race it was hundreds of miles before it was tolerable on the highway without hearing protection and I still use plugs for highway drives (top up or down). I feel like the Boxster doesn't have this problem anywhere near as severely. So significantly less drone, but there is no muffler so yes it's got sound. I plug up on the highway just because of the wind.

Regarding the valve. The valves on the Boxster hardly do anything. I have wired the valve open and was disappointed at barely hearing a difference. The switch from normal to sport has more impact on the sound of the car than wiring the valve open/close.

If you look at the OE exhaust there are two mufflers and I believe that the valve only bypasses one of them on one side. You can kind of get why Soul added a second valve so you can get all the sound which is a nice improvement.

I have zero regrets in terms of volume level and drivability. I am not thinking "Oh I wish I had gone to the trouble of installing the valved version.". If I could find someone else to do it I would definitely have done it because from time to time volume is the primary concern, but it's a sports car and I accept that it's not going to be quiet.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:22 PM
raaizin
Racer

thanks for info, my car wont be hear till May so I guess I will decide on what to do when it arrives

Quick Reply: PSE versus after-market