Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a miata as much fun as a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 10:14 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 362 Posts

My sequence of cars has been a 99 NB Miata, E46 M3, Cayman 987 base, Cayman 981 base, and a Cayman GTS 4.0 arriving shortly. I drive very twisty mountain roads in North Georgia. The best car for exploiting its potential on those roads is the Miata. You can’t get close to the limits of the others on a tight mountain road. On an open track such as Road Atlanta, bring a book with the Miata because there are long boring straights where you’re just waiting for it to build speed between corners. The Miata really is a great fun car. But you always want something better no matter what you’re driving.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 01:32 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

^ True to a point on always wanting something better... until you find a car that checks every box. The 2 cars I always wanted as long as I liked cars were a 911 and a 3rd gen Rx7. I've had multiple 3rd gen Rx7s and I have had my keeper for a long time now. I never gotten bored with it or wanted to replace it. It still puts a smile on my face every time I look at or drive it, and every time I pull it out after not driving it for months I say man I love this car. I never got around to buying a Porsche yet to see if the same magic is there also for myself, but I'd say there is a good chance. I've looked at higher end cars and thought nah, I rather have the GT4, just like my whole life before the gt4 existed I thought nah, you can dream about something italian or british, I'd take a normal 964 or 997 over that.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:17 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

991.1 PDK I owned from 2013 to 2020.
ND2 manual from 2019 and keeping it.
Picking up Spyder in a few months.

I do find there is truth it is more fun driving a slow car fast. You can drive the Miata all out without risking life and limb or jail time. You have to work a bit to get the most out of it.

Any modern p car IMO cannot be explored on the streets (at least in North America) anywhere close to its limits and can be a bit frustrating. It makes you appear to be a better driver than you really are at the same speed on the same road than the Miata.

It would be interesting to see which keys I would pick once the novelty of the Spyder wears off.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:24 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

In terms of the actual driving experience, the Miata wins easily. Horsepower may get all the attention but low weight and a small footprint are really what matters for driving in the canyons.

Last edited by haen; 03-08-2021 at 06:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
spdracerut (03-11-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 12:20 AM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
My sequence of cars has been a 99 NB Miata, E46 M3, Cayman 987 base, Cayman 981 base, and a Cayman GTS 4.0 arriving shortly. I drive very twisty mountain roads in North Georgia. The best car for exploiting its potential on those roads is the Miata. You can’t get close to the limits of the others on a tight mountain road. On an open track such as Road Atlanta, bring a book with the Miata because there are long boring straights where you’re just waiting for it to build speed between corners. The Miata really is a great fun car. But you always want something better no matter what you’re driving.

We probably drive the same roads. And I agree. I've driven them when I had my 981 CGTS, my current GT4, Fiesta ST, 2021 Miata, and Mazda 3. As well motorcycling most of them. Never drive Road Atlanta because the layout isn't what I'm into, but I'm a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park and I have taken that same Miata for laps around it.

​​​​​​The Miata is a very fun car. It does have a ton of body roll though. And a very different feel from a Porsche.

I can't say it's more fun than a Porsche. It's definitely a different kind of fun. But then so is my Fiesta ST. What I appreciate the most is getting back in the GT4. Everything about it just feels better than any of the others.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:39 AM
Dbcarlsbad
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iammacey
We probably drive the same roads. And I agree. I've driven them when I had my 981 CGTS, my current GT4, Fiesta ST, 2021 Miata, and Mazda 3. As well motorcycling most of them. Never drive Road Atlanta because the layout isn't what I'm into, but I'm a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park and I have taken that same Miata for laps around it.

​​​​​​The Miata is a very fun car. It does have a ton of body roll though. And a very different feel from a Porsche.

I can't say it's more fun than a Porsche. It's definitely a different kind of fun. But then so is my Fiesta ST. What I appreciate the most is getting back in the GT4. Everything about it just feels better than any of the others.
I solved the body roll issue in my ND Miata by throwing a little money at it...I installed the RoadsterSport Suspension Package that Goodwin Racing sells and it made a difference for a reasonable price...Lowers the car nicely and reduces the roll....My 11 year old daughter is convinced the Miata is going to be her first car, keeps telling me I'm not allowed to get rid of it...
Old 03-12-2021, 12:40 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by iammacey;[url=[url
tel:17290131]17290131]We[/url] probably drive the same roads. And I agree. I've driven them when I had my 981 CGTS, my current GT4, Fiesta ST, 2021 Miata, and Mazda 3. As well motorcycling most of them. Never drive Road Atlanta because the layout isn't what I'm into, but I'm a member at Atlanta Motorsports Park and I have taken that same Miata for laps around it.

Definitely drive the same roads. Please pull over at the turnoffs so I can pass.

I don’t remember the Miata body roll. That’s probably because it was the flattest cornering car I ever had at the time and it’s been 20+ years. It was nice having a smaller car. The 981 feels big enough that I don’t feel I have a lot of margin for error. Then again I don’t feel I have much margin for error in the Caterham.

Last edited by sanderabernathy; 03-12-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:31 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 556 Likes on 336 Posts

Owned a "94 Miata for for several years and was sad to have sold it.

As stated, the Miata is dead reliable and a blast to drive. If I hadn't purchased my 911, an RHT Miata would have been my next choice.

Only problem is that the local Mazda store is apparently staffed by a****les, as a past shopping trip to their dealership bore out, we bought another Toyota (for the wife) soon after.

As much fun as the Miata was and still is, my 991.2 is in a different sphere, a near apex predator.

That said, the 992 has some stuff I don't like, and if I was in the market, a Miata would be highly tempting to me. The other choice (available now, not in 2018 when i bough the 911) is a Supra, however, the BMW running gear was a complete disappointment, a modern day 2JZ was what I was hoping to see.

Last edited by BSO; 03-12-2021 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:32 AM
Ed G
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Always great to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives. Fun is such a subjective word. Currently have and love both. I will say there is something pure about the 1st gen Miata that is hard for me to put into words. Is it underpowered? Does it have body roll? What I know is that somehow it comes together and works and is incredibly fun to drive. I think we often get caught up in figures and "expert" reviews without appreciating how the car makes us feel when driving. There are always cars that are "better" than a MIata or a 911, Cayman, Boxster... but there is something about each of ours that puts a smile on our face when we turn the key and hear the engine come to life.

I often hear how Robinhood has democratized investing for the average person and in much the same way, Miata has democratized driving pleasure. While not everyone can afford to buy and maintain a Porsche, almost anyone can buy and maintain a MIata.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ed G:
AlexCeres (03-13-2021), xero404 (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 10:07 AM
DMack
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I took your advice and visited a Mazda dealer for a test drive. Unfortunately, the SA went with me and he talked incessantly during my short trip. Funny how the Porsche dealer hands me keys and tells me to have fun. The Mazda dealer spoiled the experience. I barely got a taste of the Miata magic. However, this was my impression:
  • The car dove into turns eagerly
  • The gear box is fantastic
  • The steering is very direct
  • The interior (club model) was underwhelming
  • My Cayman feels enormous compared to a Miata
I'm sure I would love to own one. However, I just received my Cayman at the end of December. I'm going to enjoy it and resist the temptation to bring another car home. The Miata is on my bucket list.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:18 AM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed G;[url=tel:17290403
17290403[/url]]Always great to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives. Fun is such a subjective word. Currently have and love both. I will say there is something pure about the 1st gen Miata that is hard for me to put into words. Is it underpowered? Does it have body roll? What I know is that somehow it comes together and works and is incredibly fun to drive. I think we often get caught up in figures and "expert" reviews without appreciating how the car makes us feel when driving. There are always cars that are "better" than a MIata or a 911, Cayman, Boxster... but there is something about each of ours that puts a smile on our face when we turn the key and hear the engine come to life.

I often hear how Robinhood has democratized investing for the average person and in much the same way, Miata has democratized driving pleasure. While not everyone can afford to buy and maintain a Porsche, almost anyone can buy and maintain a MIata.
I’ve got your pure right here.

The following 2 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
Graufuchs (06-01-2021), josephr25 (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 06:43 PM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

At this stage most wverything has been said . Except this. Why do you have to decide which one to own. I have a perfect 1991 Mariner Blue NA. Miata. A white ND RF Miata and a gentian Blue/ classic red 718 Spyder with LWBS . The two Miatas together cost 1/3 the cost of the Spyder. So why not own all three👍
The following 2 users liked this post by jwalton:
AlexCeres (03-14-2021), ngamountains (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 09:15 PM
TurboLift
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Never driven a Miata. Does it turn in like a 718? Even with a small engine up front, hard to believe a front engine car can turn like the mid-engine 718.

The only thing I've driven that might be close to a Miata is a Honda S2000. Wonderful car.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:33 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboLift;[url=tel:17296260
17296260[/url]]Never driven a Miata. Does it turn in like a 718? Even with a small engine up front, hard to believe a front engine car can turn like the mid-engine 718.

The only thing I've driven that might be close to a Miata is a Honda S2000. Wonderful car.
A mid engine car such as a 718 is a huge improvement over a poorly balanced car but a Miata is very well balanced. On very tight roads, the Miata has an advantage because it’s significantly smaller. The 718’s advantage is better balance and more horsepower and bigger tires.

I spent today in my Caterham leading an S2000 and a 987 Cayman S with an HP upgrade and aftermarket suspension. Being in a smaller car inspires confidence because you feel like you have greater margin for error. I had no problem pulling away from the followers. On a road that wasn’t as tight they’d have no problem leaving me behind.

Really though, the driver makes all the difference. I think we were all getting no more than 70% out of our respective cars. A truly skilled driver could have taken any of the three cars and left the other two in the dust.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:04 PM
TurboLift
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sanderabernathy
A mid engine car such as a 718 is a huge improvement over a poorly balanced car but a Miata is very well balanced. On very tight roads, the Miata has an advantage because it’s significantly smaller. The 718’s advantage is better balance and more horsepower and bigger tires.

I spent today in my Caterham leading an S2000 and a 987 Cayman S with an HP upgrade and aftermarket suspension. Being in a smaller car inspires confidence because you feel like you have greater margin for error. I had no problem pulling away from the followers. On a road that wasn’t as tight they’d have no problem leaving me behind.

Really though, the driver makes all the difference. I think we were all getting no more than 70% out of our respective cars. A truly skilled driver could have taken any of the three cars and left the other two in the dust.
Cool. Thanks for that. Sounds like you had a fun day!

Quick Reply: Is a miata as much fun as a Porsche?