Sponsored by:

CPO Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 AM
Capncall
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO Warranties

I am considering the purchase of a BGTS with CPO certification. If I decide to sell or trade the car in a year or two before the CPO expires, is it transferable to a new owner? I have been told that the CPO warranty can be transferred to a private party, but if I trade it to my dealer Porsche will not allow the dealer to pass the remaining warranty on to the next owner. Is this a correct understanding?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:46 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

I believe there are two routes. One is if the seller has CPO can transfer to new owner when selling private party. I think it’s $250 to do the transfer. Many times if you trade in to a Porsche dealer, they will decide whether they want to re-CPO or not based on the condition when you trade it in.

The reason the CPO is not automatic when you trade in is because they have to re-evaluate tires, brakes anything you may have broken etc. But the good news is the CPO clock starts over again when the new owner buys.

You can read more here:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/approved...rscheapproved/

Last edited by c1pher; 12-19-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:13 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

CPO from you to a new owner is ZERO dollars, goes with the car, nothing to fill out or do.
CPO if you trade it back to a dealer the warranty still goes to the next owner I thought with no new CPO things like tires but remains warranty. Not sure about this one but the other situations I have done.
If you trade it to the Chevy dealer(for example) then the warranty is void.
It s only going to help you on a private re sale anyway, on a trade the dealer they are not giving up anything for that.

Last edited by cerbomark; 12-19-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:16 PM
cerbomark
Racer

On a interesting side note, I just got a CPO Cayman GTS and during the paperwork we found that the original owner bought 5 prepaid services and they go with the car (Vin#). No re funds allowable. So I got 5 prepaid service visits. That s worth something, LOL.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,234 Likes on 2,208 Posts

You are correct.

Private party to private party you can transfer CPO.

Private party to dealer to new owner, cannot transfer CPO.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:25 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Think you are correct but the CPO goes with the vin, don t know how or why dealer would remove that? I sold a Macan and the new owner had to just show up at any Porsche dealer and when they put in the Vin it shows it CPO with all the dates etc. So not being certain on the other situation I ll leave that one alone.

Quick Reply: CPO Warranties