Fed up with pricing policy of Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 06:44 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by minn19
Yes it is, as I said, Porsche has just perfected it.
I agree and have posted similar.

I for one applaud it because PAG’s perfection of that allows me to (almost) buy exactly the options I want (almost) without a bunch of ‘drag-along’ options that just annoy me or have to be coded off.

Now, I just need to figure out how to code off Park Assist which is now standard as the result of all the techno-widget fanbois that can only park by braille b1tching about a lack of features on their “$100k luxury car” that are standard on a $20k econo-$h1+ box.
The following users liked this post:
minn19 (01-04-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 122 Posts

First off. Go to cars.com. Do a nationwide search for new boxsters. There’s 2021 models stating at 65k in inventory right now. There’s about 9 others below 70k. Call a dealership and wire them cash. If you don’t have cash, call your bank and get pre-financed. Buy the car and have it shipped. Problem solved.

I do agree that most boxsters are around 90k but it wasn’t that hard to find plenty that we’re below 70k and as little as 65k for a brand new 2021.

Last edited by 2seats; 01-06-2021 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:05 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 2seats
First off. Go to cars.com. Do a nationwide search for new boxsters. There’s 2021 models stating at 65k in inventory right now. There’s about 9 others below 70k. Call a dealership and wire them cash. If you don’t have cash, call your bank and get pre-financed. Buy the car and have it shipped. Problem solved.

I do agree that most boxsters are around 90k but it wasn’t that hard to find plenty that we’re below 70k and as little as 65k for a brand new 2021.
No problem is not solved, if i have to shell out 90-100K i better configure the car as my exact specs and not compromise on any other color/features and its not possible to get that in cars.com

I agree with OP , currently there is a wait list to get an allocation , guys its a porsche and not a Ferrari/ Lambo. As much as i love a porsche i guess the market is crazy and even dealers dont want to give any discount !!!. The covid BS has created a huge demand /supply issue and hence its difficult to buy the car of your choice even shelling out huge amount of money. 100K for a car is not a joke atleast for me
Asker509 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 04:47 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
No problem is not solved, if i have to shell out 90-100K i better configure the car as my exact specs and not compromise on any other color/features and its not possible to get that in cars.com

I agree with OP , currently there is a wait list to get an allocation , guys its a porsche and not a Ferrari/ Lambo. As much as i love a porsche i guess the market is crazy and even dealers dont want to give any discount !!!. The covid BS has created a huge demand /supply issue and hence its difficult to buy the car of your choice even shelling out huge amount of money. 100K for a car is not a joke atleast for me
so, Porsche will make about 3000 of these a year, give or take, and more than 3000 people want to configure their own. Demand > supply -> prices ++. So, regardless of whether or not you think that's fair, them the breaks. This would be true even without covid.

getting an allocation for a hot car is more difficult than getting 99% of the car you wanted, with a nice discount thrown in. At the end of the day, you appear to be able to afford an amazing car, but not the custom allocation for it.

But 99% of the car is 100% just as much fun to drive. You're really missing out. If the customization and paint and interior details are so important, then perhaps you'd be happier with a customized BMW or Audi anyway. If price were no object, McLaren MSO does a much better job than Porsche.
Paiceyfan (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 05:54 PM
boss2k
Pro

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
so, Porsche will make about 3000 of these a year, give or take, and more than 3000 people want to configure their own. Demand > supply -> prices ++. So, regardless of whether or not you think that's fair, them the breaks. This would be true even without covid.

getting an allocation for a hot car is more difficult than getting 99% of the car you wanted, with a nice discount thrown in. At the end of the day, you appear to be able to afford an amazing car, but not the custom allocation for it.

But 99% of the car is 100% just as much fun to drive. You're really missing out. If the customization and paint and interior details are so important, then perhaps you'd be happier with a customized BMW or Audi anyway. If price were no object, McLaren MSO does a much better job than Porsche.
Absolutely no compromise on the huge money spent, i buy my cars just the way i want it

BTW BMW is nothing to frown about , they make very good cars and i am not new to the ordering process, have built 3 BMWs shipped from germany and the entire process was nothing the way i am encountering now , never heard dealer asking me deposit to hold my number in queue when they dont have an allocation
Old 01-07-2021, 06:15 PM
Lvanpelt729
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Absolutely no compromise on the huge money spent, i buy my cars just the way i want it

BTW BMW is nothing to frown about , they make very good cars and i am not new to the ordering process, have built 3 BMWs shipped from germany and the entire process was nothing the way i am encountering now , never heard dealer asking me deposit to hold my number in queue when they dont have an allocation
Of course not. Next time you go for a ride, count the number of bmws you see and compare it to the number of Porsche sports cars!
Old 01-07-2021, 06:20 PM
boss2k
Pro

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Of course not. Next time you go for a ride, count the number of bmws you see and compare it to the number of Porsche sports cars!
Thats because a porsche sports car is double the money for an avg BMW , same logic holds true for the number of ferrari/lambo you see compared to the porsche sports cars. The more the price the lesser number of cars you will see on road, its that simple logic
Old 01-07-2021, 11:12 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

So we all have our requirements and our foibles, and even those looking for similar cars may drive on different roads leading to wildly different conclusions about “best”

it’s fine to decide spec’ing out the car Just So while staying under budget is your most important criteria. Plenty of folks round these parts do even if they won’t admit it, or their budget is a bit larger.

but not everyone, and if you compare the chassis dynamics between the Porsche and a BMW and that’s your criteria then there’s absolutely no question about this, and you pay what you gotta pay. You seem to not value the difference. If you don’t care, the M5 is a pretty awesome car for daily use.

and then there are the guys who just love getting an excellent deal, and picking up a CPO car with just enough miles on it to knock the price down another tier while still being irrelevant to the condition of the car is their pride.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
minn19 (01-07-2021), Vgj (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 09:31 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,088 Likes on 439 Posts

This is such a weird thread.

“Pricing policy” ?

You’re making it sound like some sort of rule imposed on enthusiasts.

These things (toys) have always been “pay to play”. Porsche doesn’t owe enthusiasts anything beyond delivering a quality product that their customers pay good money for. Price increases are expected generation to generation.

We work hard to be able to enjoy these toys. But it’s not for everyone, either for reasons of taste/preference, budget, or living situation.

I don’t blame Porsche one bit for charging what it does for the cars, the options, or even dealer maintenance fees. It is what it is.

As premium products, I expect to have to pay premium prices. Hoping to be able to play on a tight budget is possible, but asking for a stressful ownership experience IMHO.

I empathize with anyone really really wanting to own a new or near-new Porsche, but worrying about the financial impact of doing so. But the used market can be wonderful for lowering the barrier to entry, or it may just not be in the cards until some future point when it’s more financially feasible.
The following 2 users liked this post by KelvinC:
BoxsirGTS18 (01-09-2021), Vgj (01-09-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:38 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by KelvinC
This is such a weird thread.

“Pricing policy” ?

You’re making it sound like some sort of rule imposed on enthusiasts.

These things (toys) have always been “pay to play”. Porsche doesn’t owe enthusiasts anything beyond delivering a quality product that their customers pay good money for. Price increases are expected generation to generation.

We work hard to be able to enjoy these toys. But it’s not for everyone, either for reasons of taste/preference, budget, or living situation.

I don’t blame Porsche one bit for charging what it does for the cars, the options, or even dealer maintenance fees. It is what it is.

As premium products, I expect to have to pay premium prices. Hoping to be able to play on a tight budget is possible, but asking for a stressful ownership experience IMHO.

I empathize with anyone really really wanting to own a new or near-new Porsche, but worrying about the financial impact of doing so. But the used market can be wonderful for lowering the barrier to entry, or it may just not be in the cards until some future point when it’s more financially feasible.
I disagree with the point you're making simply because Porsche is one of the most profitable car companies out there, and an optioned out 911 is one of the most profitable cars out there. How are they so profitable? Very high profit margins on their options and trims. It's not a question of paying a premium, it's literally Porsche charging what they charge for options simply because they can. Though I suppose there's something to be said about customers being willing to pay. But being upset at their ever increasing option gouging isn't outlandish, and implying it's a matter of having enough money is silly.

Porsche 911 Is (Sort Of) The Most Profitable Car Of The Year: Report (motor1.com)

According to a report shared by Auto News Europe, the Porsche 911 has a 47% profit margin and contributes 29% of Porsche’s revenue.
The real money lies in expensive option packages and special edition trims.

Last edited by JamesBaxter; 01-08-2021 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Clarity
Asker509 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 10:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesBaxter
I disagree with the point you're making simply because Porsche is one of the most profitable car companies out there, and an optioned out 911 is one of the most profitable cars out there. How are they so profitable? Very high profit margins on their options and trims. It's not a question of paying a premium, it's literally Porsche charging what they charge for options simply because they can. Though I suppose there's something to be said about customers being willing to pay. But being upset at their ever increasing option gouging isn't outlandish, and implying it's a matter of having enough money is silly.

Porsche 911 Is (Sort Of) The Most Profitable Car Of The Year: Report (motor1.com)
Are you …. railing against capitalism … on a Porsche Internet forum ?

Porsche exists in a highly competitive product space. They don’t have a monopoly and they aren’t exploiting you. I’m not sure why you think profit margins have anything to do with fairness. Can you believe Koenigsegg won’t sell me a car ?
Old 01-08-2021, 10:49 PM
JamesBaxter
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Are you …. railing against capitalism … on a Porsche Internet forum ?
Darn right. I have no problem being a giant hypocrite.

Anyway, the point isn't railing against capitalism. The point of this thread is an upset customer responding to Porsche's ever increasing prices on options. Customers have a right to be upset as well, and I don't think the response should be "if you can't afford it, don't play". The implication is that they CAN afford it, it just becomes an ever decreasing value proposition.

Last edited by JamesBaxter; 01-08-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:27 PM
2seats
Racer

Received 232 Likes on 122 Posts

I really do not consider BMW a sports car anymore. They really don’t even make sports sedans anymore.

The only thing Porsche does that annoys me is making their sports cars have lesser performance if you don’t spec sport chrono. I know better and wouldn’t buy a car without sport chrono, PASM, sports exhaust etc. I just think sport chrono should be included on a 911, cayman, boxster, etc.

I would hate it if someone was new to Porsche and accidentally bought a 150k dollar 911 S without sport chrono.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:42 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,088 Likes on 439 Posts

Anyway, the point isn't railing against capitalism. The point of this thread is an upset customer responding to Porsche's ever increasing prices on options. Customers have a right to be upset as well, and I don't think the response should be "if you can't afford it, don't play". The implication is that they CAN afford it, it just becomes an ever decreasing value proposition.
Surely if enough potential customers vote with their wallet and walk away from the brand because the price of cars and options are crazy high, then Porsche will undoubtedly realize they’ve overpriced their offerings, and adjust as needed to increase demand again.

But that’s not the scenario here. The reason for the prices being higher than the OP is comfortable paying, is because the supply of both new and used sports cars are low, so the demand is indicating a seller’s market. There are plenty of people willing to pay enough over what the OP is prepared to pay to get these cars—this is not Porsche’s problem as their products are clearly selling. It’s an indication of market value.

Last edited by KelvinC; 01-09-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:59 PM
GTS-Jim
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually if you go up 7 pages and look at the original post, options aren't even mentioned. It appears OP would like to lease a Porsche at a similar price to a BMW. At least that's where we started out.
AlexCeres (01-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Fed up with pricing policy of Porsche