Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2021 | 11:59 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Twodan
will a wire tie solve the issue in place of a clamp, or no clamp?
Wouldn't feel comfortable with that. I wound up getting some Wilwood tubing with the right diameter and cut it to length. Used proper clamps to secure it.
Old 06-04-2021 | 03:37 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
Wouldn't feel comfortable with that. I wound up getting some Wilwood tubing with the right diameter and cut it to length. Used proper clamps to secure it.
im going to have to try that if this oem tube leaks again.
Old 06-21-2021 | 11:34 AM
Vetch
Racer

Same issue here in 2016 Cayman. Dealer can't service the car for "at least a month" since they are so backed up. Why did I ever buy this car?

Looking now for the Wilwood tubing. But my question is... Won't removing the tubing introduce air into the clutch line? I know this is well before the CMC, but I'd think that getting air in that line could be problematic.

Also wondering if any of us with this issue are using Pentosin LV brake fluid? (thinking that the LV part of the problem).
Old 06-21-2021 | 12:10 PM
WC31
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vetch
Same issue here in 2016 Cayman. Dealer can't service the car for "at least a month" since they are so backed up. Why did I ever buy this car?

Looking now for the Wilwood tubing. But my question is... Won't removing the tubing introduce air into the clutch line? I know this is well before the CMC, but I'd think that getting air in that line could be problematic.

Also wondering if any of us with this issue are using Pentosin LV brake fluid? (thinking that the LV part of the problem).
I replaced the tube myself. Really simple job that took 20 minutes. I purchased 991-423-137-03 from my local dealer for $25.

I sucked out the fluid in the reservoir until it was below the connection point and replaced the tube by simply pulling off. I then filled the reservoir back up to the appropriate level after the new tube was pushed onto the nipples. As you fill, the new line will fill with fluid and no air is introduced into the main cylinder as long as you're not pushing the clutch pedal. It's been a few hundred miles and a track day and my level has not changed.

Last edited by WC31; 06-21-2021 at 12:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhillyPorsche (10-07-2021)
Old 07-01-2021 | 09:07 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by WC31
I replaced the tube myself. Really simple job that took 20 minutes. I purchased 991-423-137-03 from my local dealer for $25.

I sucked out the fluid in the reservoir until it was below the connection point and replaced the tube by simply pulling off. I then filled the reservoir back up to the appropriate level after the new tube was pushed onto the nipples. As you fill, the new line will fill with fluid and no air is introduced into the main cylinder as long as you're not pushing the clutch pedal. It's been a few hundred miles and a track day and my level has not changed.
I've been trying for two weeks to get my servicing Porsche dealer to call me back about this issue since the car is under warranty but he hasn't returned my calls (disappointingly, this is not the first time this has happened).

I just ordered the Porsche part instead of the Wilwood tubing. It should be here next week. I noticed that the part is called a "return connecting tube" by Porsche in the service bulletin and that makes me think that fluid is going toward the brake fluid reservoir and not away from it. Any idea which direction the fluid travels in this tube? I'd feel a lot better about replacing it and not getting air in that line if it were going toward the reservoir. But the bulletin does say that a clutch bleed must be done after the line is replaced so I'm guessing the fluid goes toward the CMC.
Old 07-02-2021 | 12:32 AM
WC31
Advanced

I've been trying for two weeks to get my servicing Porsche dealer to call me back about this issue since the car is under warranty but he hasn't returned my calls (disappointingly, this is not the first time this has happened).

I just ordered the Porsche part instead of the Wilwood tubing. It should be here next week. I noticed that the part is called a "return connecting tube" by Porsche in the service bulletin and that makes me think that fluid is going toward the brake fluid reservoir and not away from it. Any idea which direction the fluid travels in this tube? I'd feel a lot better about replacing it and not getting air in that line if it were going toward the reservoir. But the bulletin does say that a clutch bleed must be done after the line is replaced so I'm guessing the fluid goes toward the CMC.
Can you share the bulletin? I'm curious to see what it says. I did not bleed the clutch and no issues thus far.
Old 07-02-2021 | 06:54 PM
Vetch
Racer

Here you go...
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55359-4799.pdf

It's not specifically for my year but its definitely for a 981. You'll see they call it a "return line" which makes no sense considering that fluid is fed to the CMC from the brake reservoir. I just put the new tube on and it is indeed a crappy design there in my opinion. They use that rubber grommet to allow the connection of a somewhat-rigid plastic tubing to a very rigid barb fitting... for brake fluid. Stupid idea in my opinion...like the glue they used on 997 GT/Turbo coolant manifold.

It took a hell of a wash-down to give me peace of mind that all the brake fluid was cleaned from the car. I had to remove the fuel tank protective plate as well and there was a quart pint of brake fluid even in there. A huge mess!

My clutch pedal now has a bit of a pop at the end of the travel (to resting) which I'm guessing means I need to bleed the clutch now. But not until I take this replacement tube off and get some Wilwood tubing. Is this the one you used?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-10444
or this...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-3357

Called the dealership again today. They won't put me through to the service manager, saying he's busy. Left a message and got no call back today. I regret buying this car simply because of the dealerships in the area.

Last edited by Vetch; 07-03-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2021 | 11:30 AM
PhillyPorsche
1st Gear

Here you go...
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...55359-4799.pdf

It's not specifically for my year but its definitely for a 981. You'll see they call it a "return line" which makes no sense considering that fluid is fed to the CMC from the brake reservoir. I just put the new tube on and it is indeed a crappy design there in my opinion. They use that rubber grommet to allow the connection of a somewhat-rigid plastic tubing to a very rigid barb fitting... for brake fluid. Stupid idea in my opinion...like the glue they used on 997 GT/Turbo coolant manifold.

It took a hell of a wash-down to give me peace of mind that all the brake fluid was cleaned from the car. I had to remove the fuel tank protective plate as well and there was a quart pint of brake fluid even in there. A huge mess!

My clutch pedal now has a bit of a pop at the end of the travel (to resting) which I'm guessing means I need to bleed the clutch now. But not until I take this replacement tube off and get some Wilwood tubing. Is this the one you used?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-10444
or this...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-3357

Called the dealership again today. They won't put me through to the service manager, saying he's busy. Left a message and got no call back today. I regret buying this car simply because of the dealerships in the area.
I am having this same exact issue. Just checked and indeed the fluid started to bubble the paint just under the section where it was leaking...
What did you use to clean it out?
Also, the dealer is trying to tell me it needs two of these hoses?
Old 10-07-2021 | 06:44 PM
Vetch
Racer

Originally Posted by PhillyPorsche
I am having this same exact issue. Just checked and indeed the fluid started to bubble the paint just under the section where it was leaking...
What did you use to clean it out?
Also, the dealer is trying to tell me it needs two of these hoses?
I tried everything I could think of ... degreaser, Simple Green, several dozen gallons of water, plastic wiring harness cleaner. None of it really seemed to work. On whim I tried the DIY IPA spray that I use to detail my garage queen and that worked better. I don't know if the alcohol in the IPA damaged the wire insulation though (if the brake fluid didn't already do that). I'm going to sell the car soon so who knows what will happen down the road. I've grown to hate the car at this point.

Once you have a leak, you've got to follow its trail from the source to the ground and clean it off. For me, that took a lot of work. A friend had the same issue and ended up puffing some baking flour around that area and then blowing it off with a leaf blower. The trail where the brake fluid leaked supposedly stayed covered in flour so he could see the trail and clean it off. Nifty idea. Still, what a pain it was though for my car... especially knowing that the dealer couldn't be bothered to help me out and the clock was ticking on the paint.

I would not let the dealer put back in the same lousy part because it will likely leak again and it could damage the paint further. The hose from Summit Racing worked well for me. It is definitely not two hoses on my car though. Just one.

Last edited by Vetch; 10-07-2021 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Leaking Brake Fluid