Sponsored by:

718 Cooling System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Brian Davis
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
Sounds like you’re having the same problem I had. One of 2 things.
1)There is air being introduced into your system via a leak. When they were replacing the water pump they should’ve also replaced the thermostat and heater valve. My issue was the heater valve so we replaced all three while we were in there.
2). If there is no leak in the system it is very possible you still have air trapped in there. It’s a self bleeding system so it should bleed out the air automatically. If not take it back to Porsche and tell him to do the proper bleeding procedure. There is a specific bleeding process that involves releasing the little valve at the base of the coolant reso. and resetting the computer afterwards.
Thanks very much, that's helpful!
The following users liked this post:
Dkritz944 (03-11-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:25 PM
Johnmark101
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought a 2019 Cayman from the Porsche dealer this afternoon. Paid a pretty steep price. Imagine my disappointment when only 40 miles from the dealer on my way home I got a "cooling system fault" warning on the display. Will be going back to the dealer in the morning to discuss and see what needs to be done. Service history shows this occurred about five thousand miles ago with the original owner and all they did was top off the coolant.

My first paranoid thought was coolant consumption due to head gaskets. Probably not but will be checking the exhaust on cold start in the morning.
Old 03-29-2022, 06:06 PM
Dkritz944
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnmark101
Just bought a 2019 Cayman from the Porsche dealer this afternoon. Paid a pretty steep price. Imagine my disappointment when only 40 miles from the dealer on my way home I got a "cooling system fault" warning on the display. Will be going back to the dealer in the morning to discuss and see what needs to be done. Service history shows this occurred about five thousand miles ago with the original owner and all they did was top off the coolant.

My first paranoid thought was coolant consumption due to head gaskets. Probably not but will be checking the exhaust on cold start in the morning.
not the head gasket. But I understand your worry. First check to see if you have the “updated” coolant cap. If it doesn’t stop when it is parallel then it is the old version and may be stripped. Introducing air into the system.
most likely it is the heater valve, water pump, or thermostat. All have new revisions. Sounds like you are under a warranty. So should not be an issue.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Johnmark101
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkritz944
not the head gasket. But I understand your worry. First check to see if you have the “updated” coolant cap. If it doesn’t stop when it is parallel then it is the old version and may be stripped. Introducing air into the system.
most likely it is the heater valve, water pump, or thermostat. All have new revisions. Sounds like you are under a warranty. So should not be an issue.
What you are saying makes sense. Those items all have the potential to create issues in the cooling system.

First, cold start up was fine with nothing coming from the exhaust pipe. But I did hear quite a bit of rattle coming from the exhaust. So when dropping the car off with the Porsche dealership I mentioned this to the service tech. My assumption was that it may be the sport exhaust valve is loose. I received a reply by text stating they had ordered a new exhaust valve. I responded, asking what the diagnosis was on the cooling system and their reply was, "the exhaust valve is what is causing the issue as it is not building vacuum and not pushing air properly." What???????

How in the heck the exhaust valve is causing a cooling system fault is beyond me. They will need to explain this one to me when I pick up the car. Good grief!!

I

Quick Reply: 718 Cooling System Fault