Sponsored by:

718 GTS - 1st Buttonwillow Track Day Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 04:49 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
I’m also considering if I should mod my 718 S this year or go for the GT4. Only 1 Porsche for me so leaning towards the GT4 since it’s a nice blend of everything and in the long term the extra $ upfront should equal out vs the depreciation of a non GT car. I’ve probably already lost 35k depreciation on my current car so it’s a tough pill to swallow going to the GT4. Trying to do mods that I can possibly transfer to a GT4 like the DSC controller.
if you only have one Porsche in the garage period can’t go wrong with the GT4 - it will absolutely hold it’s value better than the current 4 cyl the car is gorgeous and it will happily hop on and off track duty. It’s still somewhat hard to justify the min $20K jump in price but the fact it will hold value longer helps that out. From what I’ve seen so far the actual GT4 isn’t a huge leap in performance compared to the GTS and that slight gap is easily made up in aftermarket - for someone looking to get a “cheap GT4” I’d wait for all the GTS turn-ins for GT4 upgrade vehicles and sneak one out with low mileage for a steal, slap an APR / Cobb Tune and upgrade the suspension all for less then $5K including install and have fun taking the new GT4 off the line and keeping up in the turns.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:53 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by mdr911
I’d wait for all the GTS turn-ins for GT4 upgrade vehicles and sneak one out with low mileage for a steal, slap an APR / Cobb Tune and upgrade the suspension all for less then $5K including install and have fun taking the new GT4 off the line and keeping up in the turns.
This is what I'm doing and I'm already seeing prices here drop for the GTSs as they sit on lots...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:23 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 127 Posts

if you only have one Porsche in the garage period can’t go wrong with the GT4 - it will absolutely hold it’s value better than the current 4 cyl the car is gorgeous and it will happily hop on and off track duty. It’s still somewhat hard to justify the min $20K jump in price but the fact it will hold value longer helps that out. From what I’ve seen so far the actual GT4 isn’t a huge leap in performance compared to the GTS and that slight gap is easily made up in aftermarket - for someone looking to get a “cheap GT4” I’d wait for all the GTS turn-ins for GT4 upgrade vehicles and sneak one out with low mileage for a steal, slap an APR / Cobb Tune and upgrade the suspension all for less then $5K including install and have fun taking the new GT4 off the line and keeping up in the turns.
What kind of suspension upgrade would you recommend in that price range?
Old 02-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Als991?
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any temp or boost related issues? (And to help with the data point: what were the ambient air temps that day? how long were the sessions?)
Old 02-04-2020, 02:17 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jarhead32
What kind of suspension upgrade would you recommend in that price range?
Biggest upgrade on the GT4 besides NA engine and HP is the GT3 front arms. These are better https://www.splparts.com/products/fr...era-turbo.html also the bump steer https://www.splparts.com/products/bu...er-cayman.html
install ran me $350. You can hit apexs at speed and not feel unsettled. This plus DSC and maybe if you want to really go track specific rear control arms. But with the front LCA you can dial in camber which I highly recommend.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:18 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Als991?
Any temp or boost related issues? (And to help with the data point: what were the ambient air temps that day? how long were the sessions?)
temps were quite cool - Jan in CA. I ran a pretty hot day at ACS last Oct and no issues at all. The GTS has the third radiator and bigger turbo. The S seem to have the turbo heat soak issue.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Pcar81
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

temps were quite cool - Jan in CA. I ran a pretty hot day at ACS last Oct and no issues at all. The GTS has the third radiator and bigger turbo. The S seem to have the turbo heat soak issue.
Does the GTS have a bigger turbo than the S?
I thought they were the same size.
also variable vane, etc

GTS definitely has the 3rd radiator, which helps against heat soak, as you said.

Also, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:42 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pcar81
Does the GTS have a bigger turbo than the S?
I thought they were the same size.
also variable vane, etc

GTS definitely has the 3rd radiator, which helps against heat soak, as you said.

Also, thanks for sharing.
The 718 GTS similar to 991.2 GTS has a larger turbo to make more HP (and it deals with some of the Turbo heat soak on the track). So far so good - I’ll see how it runs with a tune which will obviously push out more boost and add strain.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:45 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

2.8 deg is a good amount of camber on the front which I assume you can dial in with the lower control arms rather than having camber plates? Just wondering how it affects straightline braking?

Any plans to improve front downforce? In my experence on lower speed corners (30-60mph) with larger rear tires the rear is quite well planted but the front can have the tendancy to understeer a little when pushed although I'm only running 1.4 deg camber which is maximum on OEM suspension.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 146 Posts

Just curious about the bump steer... You got and installed the ajustable Tie Rod Ends, correct?

Since my car is also going to be my primary DD with some track duty too, I bought upper camber adjustable plates and plan to run max -2.0 to -2.2 camber upfront... Would you still recommend the ajustable Tie Rod Ends for me?

The car is a GTS and as such is 20mm lower than a regular Cayman and I'm sure Porsche does not make a different OE Tie Rod End for the Base, S and GTS Cayman.

Also bought track dedicated mags, 9X18 upfront and 10x18 in the back with R compound tires, S/S braided brake lines and the complete Girodisk (F+R) brake kit with their stud conversion.

Last edited by Jet Jockey; 02-04-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:07 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It is my understanding that bumps steer correction is only necessary on highly lowered car. The longer arm of the bump steer correct the affected geometry of the steering arms in relation to horizontal due to lowering the car. Did you lowered the car? I’m I missing something?
Old 02-04-2020, 09:20 PM
Als991?
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Understood. I’ve added the third radiator to my S, which seems to have helped. But temps were pleasant/70-ish, so we will see next time (dual driver car with back-to-back sessions will test the system).

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:46 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by donR
2.8 deg is a good amount of camber on the front which I assume you can dial in with the lower control arms rather than having camber plates? Just wondering how it affects straightline braking?

Any plans to improve front downforce? In my experence on lower speed corners (30-60mph) with larger rear tires the rear is quite well planted but the front can have the tendancy to understeer a little when pushed although I'm only running 1.4 deg camber which is maximum on OEM suspension.
Correct no need for camber plates with the upgraded LCA. I was told I might have slight drift to the right with the camber adjustment but with heavy acceleration and braking I have not had any issues at all. Even with the rear and wider tires I haven't experienced much understeer if any at all - it's mostly been dealing with oversteer when I downshift into second and power-out of a sharp turn (thus keeping it in a higher gear with FT). But overall I highly recommend LCA upgrade and increased camber I have not noticed any issues at all with daily driving.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Originally Posted by zagaone
It is my understanding that bumps steer correction is only necessary on highly lowered car. The longer arm of the bump steer correct the affected geometry of the steering arms in relation to horizontal due to lowering the car. Did you lowered the car? I’m I missing something?
You may be right- TBH I wanted to get them both installed because I may lower in the future and they were already down there installing the LCAs. I was told that based on the upgraded LCA and additional camber the bump steer can still help when jamming over apexs and for what it is worth the car stays really settled but it may be overkill,
Old 02-10-2020, 12:04 PM
mdr911
Instructor

Update! Second day at Buttonwillow this time with OnGrid. I was invited to compete in their Shootout in the Sport Class. Basically stock everything minus the minor adjustments to add camber and a "factory" GT4 wing (same specs as a GT4 anyway). Right off the bat I was much more comfortable in the car and on the track. I was also in a time attack event where 80% of the drivers are all sub 2:00. Being on track with faster drivers and less traffic really allowed me to perfect my lines and when I was able to stay behind faster drivers (before I got gapped) and holy **** did that help my time. I went from trying to average a 2:06 and snuck in a single 2:04 to averaging 2:04s with the occasional 2:05. My 3rd session I noticed I was pushing / on-tilt so I left track early (still getting 3 2:05s). Last session of the day I made it my focus to stay behind the #2 position driver who was averaging 2:02's and really follow his lines, reduce my lift and carry momentum. For those that have never been to Buttonwillow there is no single turn or area you can miss to get a better time- meaning you can't make it up on a straight. You have to hit the turns exactly right, brake early many times to carry speed and accelerate perfectly out-of-apex. The only thing I did was upgrade brakes to Ferodos and that was a massive improvement. It gave me way more confidence on my braking, let me hold my lines and allowed me to brake in-control.

Last session of the day I got a 2:02 and 2:03 before I exited track. And it was the easiest drive I had it felt great. This car absolutely has a sub 2:00 in it as-is and with Recaros and slightly better tires I think I can grab it. One more thing to give props to the 718 GTS 4 banger- my car - compared to every other car that was in the shoot-out- was the most "stock" car there. Stock seats, no tune, no roll cage / harness, not lowered, no "cheat tires" etc. Every other car in the group was heavily modified kudos to Porsche for making a car you can drive onto the track, drive home, give a wash to and still have an amazing daily driver.
The following 5 users liked this post by mdr911:
k.alexander (02-10-2020), matttheboatman (02-10-2020), PorscheMeister42 (02-12-2020), sobiloff (02-10-2020), Vgj (02-10-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS - 1st Buttonwillow Track Day Review