Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup 2 tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 06:11 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

From what I've seen it gets a bit damp and wet at the ring so on a Taxi car which you presumably want to run all year round I'd expect PS4S or similar would be the go.

I think the Cup 2s will give the OP a little more margin for error and more traction out of corners, which is nice.

I think its a great upgrade for the purpose if you are doing mostly that sort of driving but OP has the best for both worlds and still has 4S for daily use.

This is quite a good video if you haven't seen it already:

The following users liked this post:
joew7777 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM
fosgate769
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Certainly don't "need" them but it still makes the car faster

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I was chatting to a Porsche instructor co-pilot at the Nordschleife in October as we thrashed a new 992 around the circuit. It was wearing regular Dunlop road tyres. The previous day I had been out on the track in my GT3 RS on Cup2s and I remarked that it would interesting to see what the 992 could do on Cup2s. He shot me la ook and said Why? Firstly he said the suspension is not calibrated for them and secondly, and most importantly, he said, if I can do 7min 30 secs around this track on standard tyres, you don’t need Cup2s on this car. Total waste of money.

A couple of days later,I did a taxi lap in the Apex GT2 RS and asked what tyres they were running....Michelin 4S. To say the least, I was surprised considering the grip levels and speed we were hitting. Asked why 4S and he said they last much much longer and provide more than enough grip in the GT2 to still frighten people!

So in a nutshell, you don’t need Cup2s on an S.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:50 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently switched to Sport Cup 2s on a 718 GTS from PS4S and noticed significantly less wheel spin during medium to hard accelerations once they've warmed up a bit (not by much -- enough to go from 33 PSI cold to 34). The traction control indicator flashes much less frequently, too. They are somewhat terrifying in the rain, though. Also, if the ambient temperature is below 55, you'll quickly notice a drop-off in grip, even if you've pre-warmed your tires with some highway driving. That's true of all summer tires, I'm sure, but I (subjectively) feel like it's particularly true for these.

Overall, I really like them, but only because I live in a place with very little rain. They have endless grip on canyon roads... (until, of course, you come around a corner and hit an unexpectedly dirty section or, god forbid, a wet spot). I have yet to track them, but hopefully will do so in the next few months. I learned recently that they wear so quickly not only because of the softer rubber compound, but also because they come with less tread depth to begin with vs. PS4S, etc.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

That video above is exactly why I'm considering pulling the Cup 2s right off my new Spyder on day one and replacing them with 4S's. Not sure, because I rarely drive in the very cold or rain. If I did, there's no way I would run Cup 2's off the track.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 PM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

For what it’s worth - the stock 20” PS4S’s on my 718 GTS started throwing chunks off the edge of the tread after my first two track days. Talking to others at the track, it seemed like this was a common issue with the 4S under high temperature track use - the sidewall is not stiff enough to tolerate the low starting pressure that you need to run in order to achieve the right pressures when hot.

I bought a set of 19” wheels and tried out the Cup 2s and later RE71Rs. Haven’t had any problems since then - but they’re definitely not good in the cold and wet! The RE71Rs are cheaper and feel a little better in the first few sessions, but the tread wore out and grip disappeared much faster than the Cup 2s, so they have to be replaced earlier and the overall cost is basically the same as the Cup 2s. Since driving to the tire shop is a hassle, I’m sticking with the Cup 2s from now on.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG

Driving on the Ring should be considered a different sport than driving on typical US tracks.
Great quote!

I am still looking to speak to that American who says after his first visit to the Nurburgring; "Yep, I did enough preparation and I was ready for it". NOT!
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 AM
quadslo
Track Day

There are new 235/35 R20 Cup2 tires available, but they are not N rated, only XL option.

Why has Cayman S also homologated rims 8.5J front and 10.5J back, but tires only 235 F, 265 B ?

GTS 4.0. has the same wheels and tires in stock? Can 4.0. have wider tires?
Old 06-02-2020, 02:23 AM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
I agree with your point for a GT3 and, certainly, the ring has its own rules but we are not talking about a GT3 here but a Cayman S. If was a GT3, I would never recommend 4S tires for the track. However std tires on a Cayman S would be fine, even on my local tracks such as Spa, Zolder, Hockenheim, etc. As an example, one time at Portimao in a Turbo S on Pirelli Pzeros, I was faster than many of the GT3 RS and GT3s on Cups. It wasn't the tyres that made the difference, it was the driver.

So I think my assertion still holds that if this is his first track experience in a Cayman S, he does not need Cup tires. He should learn the car on the standard tire combination because even in that configuration it is going to be so far in advance of his skills that he should save his money.
Good points Chris. Most who do not have a great deal of track or racing experience have no idea the performance envelope these cars can have nor do they have the skills to exploit it. Going with a super sticky tire is not necessarily a good thing as the speed and cornering forces increase and when things go bad, they go bad quick. Very few people understand the skill and muscle memory required to drive a car near or at its limits safely and consistently.

Most, outside of those with a fair bit of experience, are not going to be any faster on a super sticky tire regardless. Chasing times is asking for trouble until you have spend a significant amount of time developing the chops to do it safely..

I would suggest that there is very little difference in the fun one will experience on track once you have a good predictable performance tire on the car.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:59 AM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by David Borden
Good points Chris. Most who do not have a great deal of track or racing experience have no idea the performance envelope these cars can have nor do they have the skills to exploit it. Going with a super sticky tire is not necessarily a good thing as the speed and cornering forces increase and when things go bad, they go bad quick. Very few people understand the skill and muscle memory required to drive a car near or at its limits safely and consistently.

Most, outside of those with a fair bit of experience, are not going to be any faster on a super sticky tire regardless. Chasing times is asking for trouble until you have spend a significant amount of time developing the chops to do it safely..

I would suggest that there is very little difference in the fun one will experience on track once you have a good predictable performance tire on the car.

Also it should be pointed out that generally tires with semi R or R compounds (slicks even more) compared to high performance road tires will give you less warning when traction is lost... They grip and grip and all of a sudden... no more grip!
Old 06-02-2020, 01:25 PM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
Also it should be pointed out that generally tires with semi R or R compounds (slicks even more) compared to high performance road tires will give you less warning when traction is lost... They grip and grip and all of a sudden... no more grip!
Exactly... and someone that has not developed the skill and muscle memory to catch it has little chance for it to end well in that situation. Unfortunately, many of those that own sports cars have big egos and think they are great drivers... they are not.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 PM
quadslo
Track Day

Topic was created just to talk about sizes of Cup2 tires...

Old 06-02-2020, 10:29 PM
donR
Pro

Originally Posted by quadslo
There are new 235/35 R20 Cup2 tires available, but they are not N rated, only XL option.

Why has Cayman S also homologated rims 8.5J front and 10.5J back, but tires only 235 F, 265 B ?

GTS 4.0. has the same wheels and tires in stock? Can 4.0. have wider tires?
The 235/35 in XL would be for another make of car. N rated are Porsche OEM tires. You could use the XL although the purist will tell you that you shouldn't mix them as there are slight differences in the compound. Even mixing N0, N1 and N2 is considered a no no.

I am a bit OCD so have Cup 2 N1s on all four corners. I haven't noticed any problems with them suddenly breaking free and rather I find the car feels a lot safer and more stable at the limit, and of course much more grip but I do have them on forged wheels so that probably helps, as well as the mid-engine balance. Only really need to be more careful in the wet but even that is not too bad. I had scarier moments on the OEM PS4s but I might be driving a little better now. I also try to avoid really rainy days when the Cup 2s can start to wriggle around a bit.

I also don't think the Cup 2s are a "great" R compound tire as they are still a reasonable all weather tire. I think there are other better and more track focused "R" compound tires around, but the Cup 2s are a good comprimise for road and track, particularly if you get caught in the wet.

The Cayman S is actually standard with 8" rims front and 10" rear, hence the 235, 265, typically on the 20" Carrera S wheels. The optional Carrera Sport wheels are 8.5 front and 10.5 rear, but use the same size tires. I know people who have run 245 width tires on the 8" without any problems.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
I also don't think the Cup 2s are a "great" R compound tire as they are still a reasonable all weather tire.
You think this tread is a 'reasonable all weather tire'? While the new Cup 2s are slightly better in the wet, they are in no way, shape or form an all weather tire. They are a warm weather, ultra high performance tire.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 PM
donR
Pro

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You think this tread is a 'reasonable all weather tire'? While the new Cup 2s are slightly better in the wet, they are in no way, shape or form an all weather tire. They are a warm weather, ultra high performance tire.
Sure, what I was trying to say is that there are better track tires than Cup 2s because Porsche (and Michelin) designs them so that they can put them on their road cars and if you are caught out in the rain you are still ok. Sure they are no where near as good as PS4Ss in the wet but you can still drive the Cup 2s quite hard once you get some heat into them. It is just standing water than might be an issue.

The revisions to the N1 and N3 Cup 2 tires also brought better wet weather performance. I think there is a comprimise to this tire such that if you want you can daily drive it in almost "all weather" but it is at the expense of a little bit of track performance.

Quick Reply: Cup 2 tires