Sponsored by:

718 GTS RGS Grill Protectors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:46 AM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts
Default 718 GTS RGS Grill Protectors

I've now done about 3000kms with the RGS grill protectors so thought I'd post my review.

Firstly, I considered the Zunsport Grills but I didn't like the way they sit in front of the edge of the openings. Although I think Zunsport are slightly easier to install but don't look OEM, they look like an after thought but do the job fine. I think they also cost a little more.

I originally made my own out of flexible automotive diamond pattern grill which I purchased off ebay. They worked well but I wasn't happy with the grill opening size and they let some small objects through.

I shared my templates with Eric at RGS and bought the RGS ones at a discount price. You can buy them here: www.radiatorgrillstore.com

I think the weave in the RGS grills is perfect and very OEM. Doesn't let much through, even catches small feathers and insects but still provides adequate ventilation for cooling. Eric also lines the edges with a rubber coating so the cut grill does not scratch your paint. Although I'd still recommend a bit of masking tape in case things get rough with the install.

Install of the side grills is relatively easy but does require a bit of skill to slide it through the gap. They slide securely into some upper slots in the openings and have a couple of discrete cable ties at the bottom. I used two hooks (see photos) to manipulate them into place as obviously you can't get your hand behind the grill!

Installing the center grill is more tricky. If you are not mechanically minded at all then best leave this for your mechanic. Essentially, the center grill is larger than the opening so you need to make it into a concave shape then slide one side into the side slot first and then work the other edges into the upper slot and then the other side slot. Then pull the concave out with the hooks.

The center grill also has a fold at the bottom such that with the hooks you pull the fold into the sleeve at the opening. Eric puts some extra rubber gripper on the fold so it grips into the slot and doesn't slide back out. I did find it slid out a little after a while but that was after some pretty brutal driving and many hundreds of miles, but it only takes a few minutes to pull it back into place with the hooks and it still functions as intended regardless.

Overall, install is not difficult and I'm sure Eric provides good instructions! Note you don't have to remove the bumper for the install but I had it off for other reasons.

All in all a great system and advantage is that it looks very OEM and functions as intended. I wouldn't bother making your own! You can also still release the cable ties or the center grill to clean your radiators if required.

Here are my photos. You can see they fit perfectly flush behind the openings and not in front!

Wire hook tools (you will need at least 2):

Left Grill:

Right Grill:

On the road:

The following 3 users liked this post by donR:
Buckeye GTS (01-11-2020), BudgetPlan1 (01-09-2020), pgap718 (08-01-2023)
Old 01-10-2020, 09:24 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 138 Posts

I ordered the complete set today... Front L+R and centre and the side intake ones two.

Thanks for the info.
The following users liked this post:
RGS (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 12:19 AM
donR
Pro

No problem, let me know if you need any install tips when the time comes.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 481 Posts

Yours look great. Not sure about the center grill in the GTS, but I didn't need any hooks and found it pretty easy to do this by hand on the lateral front grilles on my S.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:51 PM
donR
Pro

Thanks. I believe the install on the S is a little easier and of course no center grill.

On both cars I think the RGS grills provide a great OEM looking result and do a great job protecting your radiators.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

donR,

I removed my whole front bumper to get it repainted.

Would it be easier to install all the front grills while it is removed by the back side or should I reinstall the bumper and then install the grills?
Old 01-12-2020, 04:45 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 895 Likes on 481 Posts

If you have the bumper off, there are alternative grilles that don't require zip ties - slightly more elegant. That being said, this was the reason I chose the RGS grilles - easy installation. You can't see the zip ties unless you're on your hands and knees with your nose in the grille while washing the car. Even then, you have to look for them. Hence the 'slightly'. It's almost moot whether you put them on while the bumper is on or off - very easy either way. I'd go with 'off' - probably five minutes saved.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Originally Posted by ldamelio
If you have the bumper off, there are alternative grilles that don't require zip ties - slightly more elegant. That being said, this was the reason I chose the RGS grilles - easy installation. You can't see the zip ties unless you're on your hands and knees with your nose in the grille while washing the car. Even then, you have to look for them. Hence the 'slightly'. It's almost moot whether you put them on while the bumper is on or off - very easy either way. I'd go with 'off' - probably five minutes saved.
Thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:26 PM
donR
Pro

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
donR,

I removed my whole front bumper to get it repainted.

Would it be easier to install all the front grills while it is removed by the back side or should I reinstall the bumper and then install the grills?
Not necessary, but if you have the bumper off definitely install the side radiator grills from the inside and cable tie into position, see photo below.

As mentioned I had my bumper off for other reasons and put the side grills in while I had the chance. If you have a GTS for the center grill I sat it in front on the radiator cowling and then re-installed the bumper on top and positioned the grill into place using the hooks and slid the fold into the lower plastic sleeve on the spoiler. You might be able to get it on before fitting the bumper by sliding the fold into the sleeve on the bumper spoiler before hand but I didn't try that for some reason.

​​​​​​

Old 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 333 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
I've now done about 3000kms with the RGS grill protectors so thought I'd post my review.

Firstly, I considered the Zunsport Grills but I didn't like the way they sit in front of the edge of the openings. Although I think Zunsport are slightly easier to install but don't look OEM, they look like an after thought but do the job fine. I think they also cost a little more.

I originally made my own out of flexible automotive diamond pattern grill which I purchased off ebay. They worked well but I wasn't happy with the grill opening size and they let some small objects through.

I shared my templates with Eric at RGS and bought the RGS ones at a discount price. You can buy them here: www.radiatorgrillstore.com

I think the weave in the RGS grills is perfect and very OEM. Doesn't let much through, even catches small feathers and insects but still provides adequate ventilation for cooling. Eric also lines the edges with a rubber coating so the cut grill does not scratch your paint. Although I'd still recommend a bit of masking tape in case things get rough with the install.

Install of the side grills is relatively easy but does require a bit of skill to slide it through the gap. They slide securely into some upper slots in the openings and have a couple of discrete cable ties at the bottom. I used two hooks (see photos) to manipulate them into place as obviously you can't get your hand behind the grill!

Installing the center grill is more tricky. If you are not mechanically minded at all then best leave this for your mechanic. Essentially, the center grill is larger than the opening so you need to make it into a concave shape then slide one side into the side slot first and then work the other edges into the upper slot and then the other side slot. Then pull the concave out with the hooks.

The center grill also has a fold at the bottom such that with the hooks you pull the fold into the sleeve at the opening. Eric puts some extra rubber gripper on the fold so it grips into the slot and doesn't slide back out. I did find it slid out a little after a while but that was after some pretty brutal driving and many hundreds of miles, but it only takes a few minutes to pull it back into place with the hooks and it still functions as intended regardless.

Overall, install is not difficult and I'm sure Eric provides good instructions! Note you don't have to remove the bumper for the install but I had it off for other reasons.

All in all a great system and advantage is that it looks very OEM and functions as intended. I wouldn't bother making your own! You can also still release the cable ties or the center grill to clean your radiators if required.

Here are my photos. You can see they fit perfectly flush behind the openings and not in front!

Wire hook tools (you will need at least 2):

Left Grill:

Right Grill:

On the road:

Thank you Don so much for the help with development and the kind words for our products!! We appreciate you!!

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Quick Reply: 718 GTS RGS Grill Protectors