Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 S Car guys Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 PM
GTS_VET
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It’s funny when it seems that I see a lot more positive reviews than negative reviews of the car online. It seems to be a loud minority of Porsche “purists” who bash the car.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:35 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I stole this comment from another forum/site....just one of many he made....he had a 981 and has had a 718 for 3 days now.... his 981 was totaled in a minor wreck..to exp. to repair deal.
here...I hope he does not mind....unlike this gentleman I suspect many of the 'bigots' ,as he terms it, have never driven a 718......

"Before I go into details I will sum up, I am amazed by this car. I have driven it about 500 miles since I got it. It is different from my 981 in many ways, almost better in all cases and yet feels like "home" to me. So, specific points of discussion in no particular order:"

Engine: Now the biggie. I have to admit that I was a flat-six bigot I was seriously considering a low mileage CPO 2016 GTS just to stay with the flat-6. That was until I drove the 718. Yes it sounds very different. But once you get that immediate torque rolling out and the car reacts much faster you are bitten. I have to admit that at first I didn't like the sound but it has quickly grown on me. Today, I disconnected the Soundaktor. The car was MUCH quieter but honestly it was too quiet even with the Sports Exhaust. I actually reconnected it. Overall, the car reacts as if it has considerably more HP than just 35 more. It makes the car MUCH easier to drive in everyday stop-and-go traffic seen here in southern California.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:45 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_VET
It seems to be a loud minority of Porsche “purists” who bash the car.
There will always be a loud minority of purists who bash change.

If they were relevant Porsche would never change.
The following users liked this post:
ldamelio (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:18 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by nerual13
I'll second that. I haven't even got possession of mine and I'm already annoyed by the snobbery displayed towards my 718. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hope you enjoy your 718 and don't let some of the simpletons bashing the car spoil your fun.

In the real world ( as opposed to forums) I have never had anybody say anything bad about the car. In fact, I have been complimented on the sound of the exhaust a few times. Normally by Porsche owners who have been so conditioned about what to expect from the sound that are surprised. I been asked many times "What did you do to the exhaust? It sounds great." I get a lot of surprised looks when I say that the car has the stock exhaust. Most guys are smart enough not to indiscriminately say stupid stuff in real life. I've even been chased down a couple times by people to tell me they love my car.

I drove a number of Porsches at the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham. They had many different cars for the track including the 718 GTS. I didn't hear any participant say one bad thing about the 718. I think many were surprised by it's agility and fun given that most of the students were classic 911 fans.

On the other hand, my local dealer said he does have trouble selling them. He also said that he's never had big Cayman/Boxster demand in our area since he has worked the area for 10-11 years. Porsche is just synonymous with 911 to many people. That's just a fact of life that non-911 owners need to get used to. It helps to have a a little thicker skin but in my experience guys who are truly into cars usually know the pros and cons of each car and appreciate them for what they are rather than whine or bitch about what they aren't. Unfortunately, Porsche as an aspirational brand does attract more than it's share of douchebaggery, IMO.

The squawkers are a small minority...mostly online. Check out the 718 forum, most of the complaining non-owners have stayed away. Also join your local PCA chapter, it'll give you more reasons to enjoy your car.
ldamelio (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:30 PM
nerual13
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
I hope you enjoy your 718 and don't let some of the simpletons bashing the car spoil your fun.

In the real world ( as opposed to forums) I have never had anybody say anything bad about the car. In fact, I have been complimented on the sound of the exhaust a few times. Normally by Porsche owners who have been so conditioned about what to expect from the sound that are surprised. I been asked many times "What did you do to the exhaust? It sounds great." I get a lot of surprised looks when I say that the car has the stock exhaust. Most guys are smart enough not to indiscriminately say stupid stuff in real life. I've even been chased down a couple times by people to tell me they love my car.

I drove a number of Porsches at the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham. They had many different cars for the track including the 718 GTS. I didn't hear any participant say one bad thing about the 718. I think many were surprised by it's agility and fun given that most of the students were classic 911 fans.

On the other hand, my local dealer said he does have trouble selling them. He also said that he's never had big Cayman/Boxster demand in our area since he has worked the area for 10-11 years. Porsche is just synonymous with 911 to many people. That's just a fact of life that non-911 owners need to get used to. It helps to have a a little thicker skin but in my experience guys who are truly into cars usually know the pros and cons of each car and appreciate them for what they are rather than whine or bitch about what they aren't. Unfortunately, Porsche as an aspirational brand does attract more than it's share of douchebaggery, IMO.

The squawkers are a small minority...mostly online. Check out the 718 forum, most of the complaining non-owners have stayed away. Also join your local PCA chapter, it'll give you more reasons to enjoy your car.
Oh I have no intention of letting the ****-bites spoil my fun! 😀 I'm debating joining PCA (what's the average age level for PCA? I'm curious!) and I've definitely found some good Boxster specific Facebook groups already. But yeah, there does seem to be a high level of douchebaggery, but I'm not one to let an idiot spoil my fun. They can go pal it up with their 911 buddies, I'll be quite pleased with my 718. I didn't even buy because "Porsche", I bought because "red stick shift convertible" 😛 I suppose that will **** them off even more, that it had nothing to do with the brand, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm just here to drive my car! Bonus points, it REALLY shocks them when they find out I'm a woman too. I always enjoy the "YOU drive stick shift?!" and LIVE to reply "what, like its hard???" and enjoy the sour face they make. Yeah. I'm a little bit of an A@% when necessary, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Screw em, I'm just here to have fun in the sun!
X2Board (12-29-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 PM
Semitone
Pro

I'm debating joining PCA (what's the average age level for PCA? I'm curious!)
In a word: old.

I have lot of friends who own or who have owned 911s. I know for a fact that some of them have heard of a Boxster and Cayman but don't really know what it is. They don't know where the engine is, they don't know how many seats it has...they just don't care. When they wanted a Porsche, they meant a 911. The fact Porsche makes other cars just didn't matter. It's not that they look down on people with other Porsches, they just don't even think about other Porsches. They also don't hang out on forums bashing other people choices.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 PM
nerual13
Instructor

Originally Posted by Semitone
In a word: old.

I have lot of friends who own or who have owned 911s. I know for a fact that some of them have heard of a Boxster and Cayman but don't really know what it is. They don't know where the engine is, they don't know how many seats it has...they just don't care. When they wanted a Porsche, they meant a 911. The fact Porsche makes other cars just didn't matter. It's not that they look down on people with other Porsches, they just don't even think about other Porsches. They also don't hang out on forums bashing other people choices.
That's what I was afraid of. I'm 41 and feel like I would NOT fit into that very well. I'd certainly consider going to an event as a non-member to meet some folks and check it out, but not coughing up the $$ until I do that. I feel like I wouldn't have a lot in common other than the badge on the car, but I'd love to find some folks a little closer in age to me that I might relate to more.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:50 PM
GTS_VET
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

That's what I was afraid of. I'm 41 and feel like I would NOT fit into that very well. I'd certainly consider going to an event as a non-member to meet some folks and check it out, but not coughing up the $$ until I do that. I feel like I wouldn't have a lot in common other than the badge on the car, but I'd love to find some folks a little closer in age to me that I might relate to more.
I’m 26 and a member of the Bay Area chapter.
Haven’t gone to any of the meet ups as of yet.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:52 PM
nerual13
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTS_VET
I’m 26 and a member of the Bay Area chapter.
Haven’t gone to any of the meet ups as of yet.
Oh well that is promising! Perhaps I'll check out some of the upcoming events, I know they do a monthly meetup at a restaurant in Redwood City.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Below is one of my first posts on this forum. If complementing the 718 and not joining the tribe of those that bash the car and the sound of the boxer-4 is trolling and snobbery then so be it. Yaw'll want to see trolling go look at this person's posts: https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...illygoose.html

GTS_VET (12-28-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 01:02 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Unfortunately I’m much older than you but love my 718 Cayman GTS. Please do not think that the remarks on this forum are representative of PCA members. We have Porsche and Pancakes the first Saturday of each month. Most of the cars are 911’s but there are Boxster, Caymans, Macans, Panamericas and others that come out as well. Non PCA members are always welcome. Check with your local PCA area members for events and attend an event. Enjoy your car!
Old 12-29-2019, 02:02 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 149 Posts

Regarding the negative review by these two guys on YouTube ( and many other negative reviews ) I will add this to the discussion. I had a loaner 718 Cayman S from Porsche South Bay while having a tire replaced due to a nail in the tire of my Carrera T. While driving it today I received my second thumbs up from a pedestrian walking by. The other time was from a motorcyclist last August. So two thumbs up for the 718 and none while driving my 911 :/

I’m definitely not a Porsche purist I guess. Technology moves forward, so I’d rather embrace change rather than whine. Ultimately you vote with your wallet whether you want a new Porsche or enjoy an older one. They are all good.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:31 AM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I priced out an S with the options I wanted and an identical GTS that was as close as I could get it. The price difference was 5k if I recall correctly.

The GTS might be a good deal for the options it includes, but if they aren’t the options you want it can end up being more expensive.

I don’t buy cars to resell so depreciation never enters my calculations.
The following 2 users liked this post by asuptardorne:
k.alexander (12-31-2019), X2Board (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 08:39 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

I'll second that. I haven't even got possession of mine and I'm already annoyed by the snobbery displayed towards my 718. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anonymous opinions on the internet are worth less than zero.

Which is still more than Laurel and Hardy's review video...
The following 2 users liked this post by .2PDK:
Guaji (12-29-2019), k.alexander (12-31-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Semitone
Pro

I'm 41 and feel like I would NOT fit into that very well.
My best guess is that if you love your car, and enjoy talking about Porsches, you will find value in joining.

I am 59, and I feel young around my group, so yeah 41 will be young in your chapter most likely. However, every conversation I have had with anybody from PCA has been pretty much about Porsche, not cars, not careers, not about travel, no other hobbies but about Porsches.

Here is my experience in brief:

I had a Porsche Boxster for over 11 years and it never occurred to me once to join. Then in 2017 I picked up a Macan and somehow got it into my head I should check out PCA. Our chapter has monthly meeting so I went to one just to see what was going on. Clearly these guys were old. I felt a little out of place. Many of them were Porsche fanatics. Me...I just own some toy cars, three of them Porsches but have never considered myself a Porsche person. These guys were wearing Porsche hats, Porsche jackets...I was tempted to mumble something about Porsche underwear but i didn't.

I drove up in a Macan, expecting to be treated like a second class citizen. The place was packed and must have been over 100 cars of all Porsche varieties. I was bitching to myself about the lack of parking when a guy waived me over and put me in a VIP spot right next to the front door. I was happy, although slightly embarrassed too because there we lots and lots of shiny, nicely detailed cars and I hardly even wash my car. I put it out in the rain sometimes if I find it gets too dirty.

I went for the presentation, guys talking about different types of PPF. I didn't even know what PPF was. WTF, people spend money to cover their cars? Ceramic, WTF? Wow..I was in the Twilight Zone! The guy next to me told me he just bought a new car. He was trying to decide what type of PPF to get and weather to ceramic coat OVER the PPF. I have to admit, I looked at him like he was a fruit. I'm thinking, "It's a car, what are you going to do when it gets some pollen on it. This guy is going to need a shrink." New members introduced them selves. i.e, name and type of Porsche. After a round of welcome applause, they gave me a Porsche book...cool...covered what I just paid for dues!!

Monthly meetings are always catered with some type of food. People are like vultures, think they never had a meal before. I don't do crowds well and not a fan of standing and eating. Whole thing feels like a rugby scrum to me. If anything, I will wait until everybody is done and pick through the leftovers

I mostly skip monthly meetings now. I like the guest presentations but the food scramble and listening to an hour of club announcements, which I can read about online in 5 minutes have kept me away. 80% of the announcements are monotonous/repetitive.

Now on to the good part. The club is active in HPDE, rallys, shows, coffee runs, autoX.... All kinds of things you can participate in to get more driving fun from your car. HPDE has been fun for me, and the crowd a bit younger. I'm not good with guessing age but I would say closer to the 40's. Coffee runs go right by my house frequently so I do those sometimes...definitely older crowd than HPDE. I want to try out the rallly trips but just cant seem to get my schedule together. (I also have done autoX but with another group.)

Here is a couple things I found surprising. Many of these guys ( and it is mostly guys) are not car people, they are really just Porsche people. They saved diligently to get a Porsche and they cherish it. It was a big investment for them and a lifetime dream. Sure they oogle the GT and specialty Porsches when they show up, but in general, they have fairly run of the mill Porsches of all types and love them They aren't car flippers or buying the next great thing. They baby their car, and expect to keep it forever. Most don't do there own work and have no real interest in dissecting the "minute" details of one car versus another. They have their Porsche, love to talk about it and looking for excuses to drive it or hang out with people who talk Porsche. In general, they are pretty low key.

With all those people there is clearly a mix of personalities but overall,I suggest for the $40-$50 annual dues you try it out. It will make you appreciate your car more, IMO. Besides, you might get a 10% PCA discount off PPF if you are so inclined.

k.alexander (12-31-2019)

Quick Reply: 718 S Car guys Review