Sponsored by:

Cayman buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 11:19 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rasetsu
Leather dash is not standard. The GTS interior has to be configured a certain way to get. Standard is partial leather seats with Alcantara seat centers, partial Alcantara door card panels, and Alcantara center console lid. Everything else is textured plastic.

I thought the same about the dual zone climate but if you don't have dual zone, you won't have auto climate either which means fiddling with the fan speed and temp toggles. If they were nice round dials, it wouldn't be a big deal to me at all but the toggles are small and don't have a confident tactile feedback.
Interesting about the leather dash. I know GTS come with Alcantara, but assumed that once you delete Alcantara, you get the leather dash. Hmm

Yeah the HVAC controls on these cars are terrible. I’ve never been a big fan of the European car HVAC controls, come to think of it some of the US manufacturers do the same thing...someone pleas explain why there needs to be both an AC and a Max AC button??? And yeah I miss the nice round dials from my Z, these rocker switches that have something close to 20 positions suck! Their location also sucks.

So what does the Dual Climate give you, automated temp control, like a thermostat in your house? I never found it to actually work on my prior cars and always just ended up manually fiddling with it all the time.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by k.alexander
Interesting about the leather dash. I know GTS come with Alcantara, but assumed that once you delete Alcantara, you get the leather dash. Hmm

Yeah the HVAC controls on these cars are terrible. I’ve never been a big fan of the European car HVAC controls, come to think of it some of the US manufacturers do the same thing...someone pleas explain why there needs to be both an AC and a Max AC button??? And yeah I miss the nice round dials from my Z, these rocker switches that have something close to 20 positions suck! Their location also sucks.

So what does the Dual Climate give you, automated temp control, like a thermostat in your house? I never found it to actually work on my prior cars and always just ended up manually fiddling with it all the time.
The leather dash option is confusing. Some have the whole thing from end to end, some have just the gauge hood, and some are all plastic. Once you delete Alcantara, you have to select a leather option, all of which were extra cost.

The max AC is if your car was parked in the heat and you need to rapidly cool it down. My GTI had manual HVAC controls and they were clear distinct ***** with clear markings. I had no problem with them being manual there. I test drove a Cayman with no auto climate and it required a lot of toggling to get the fan speed to make it work with my desired temp. The auto is pretty much like the thermostat in our homes. You set a temp and it will balance the AC and heater as well as fan speed to achieve your desired temp. Even then though, I've had to adjust a bit because the cabin is much smaller than what I'm used to so it's not the same temp as like in my Macan.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 PM
k.alexander
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok figured it out. It’s the “Leather Interior / Sport-Tex Seats” (of course after the deletion of Alcantara) that adds the leather dash and other leather pieces. Looks like it may depend on color but this is what you get with the “Leather Interior”:
- Seat centers ( unless Sport-Tex)
- Seat side bolsters
- Headrests
- Seat backrests (not i.c.w. Sport seat Plus or Adaptive Sport Seat Plus)
- Airbag module on steering wheel
- Center console storage compartment lid
- Center console side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles
- Door armrests and paneling
- Door paneling top section
- Door panel inserts

You also get Stitching in contrasting color.
I also have floor mats with black surround including stitching and 'PORSCHE' logo in contrasting color.

Oh lastly, wish the car came with the carbon fiber Trim on switch panel, door panel, and center console. The plain aluminum trim is ok, but shows fingerprints especially on the piece to open/close cup holders, and I have a soft spot for carbon fiber. A guy at the local CnC told me that he wrapped his prior 911 in carbon fiber looking film; I’m going to give that a shot one day.

Last edited by k.alexander; 12-14-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 12:46 AM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 897 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by k.alexander
Ok figured it out. It’s the “Leather Interior / Sport-Tex Seats” (of course after the deletion of Alcantara) that adds the leather dash and other leather pieces. Looks like it may depend on color but this is what tot get with the “Leather Interior”:
- Seat centers ( unless Sport-Tex)
- Seat side bolsters
- Headrests
- Seat backrests (not i.c.w. Sport seat Plus or Adaptive Sport Seat Plus)
- Airbag module on steering wheel
- Center console storage compartment lid
- Center console side section
- Dashboard top incl. instrument cluster cover
- Dashboard bottom incl. glove compartment lid
- Door handles
- Door armrests and paneling
- Door paneling top section
- Door panel inserts

You also get Stitching in contrasting color.
I also have floor mats with black surround including stitching and 'PORSCHE' logo in contrasting color.

Oh lastly, wish the car came with the carbon fiber Trim on switch panel, door panel, and center console. The plain aluminum trim is ok, but shows fingerprints especially on the piece to open/close cup holders, and I have a soft spot for carbon fiber. A guy at the local CnC told me that he wrapped his prior 911 in carbon fiber looking film; I’m going to give that a shot one day.
I have the same leather interior appointments except the seat centers. I have the ventilation in mine.

I agree about the glossy aluminum trim. If I had a GTS, I would think CF would be a better fit too. On my S with the chrome rear emblems, I think the touch of bright work carried through to the interior is ok. Yes, you can easily get the interior pieces wrapped with CF vinyl.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I also own an Agate Grey Metallic 718 base so I will chime in. I have to say I love the color. It hides dust and water spots from light rain better than any other color that I have owned before and also looks fantastic on the Cayman. It's not a pure grey. It has some brown in it and I think it is extremely classy. The Macan GTS I owned before the 718 was Volcano Grey and I like the Agate better as a color, hands down. It shows the lines of the car better and is easier to keep looking clean so it wins all around.

I don't know that there are any "must-have" options on these cars and it's all pretty personal and subjective and depends on what you want to do with it. I personally like the 14-way seats. I think they are more comfortable than the 18 ways because they have less aggressive bolstering and of course you get the memory option which is a pretty important option for me because I am extremely picky about my seat position but I also don't mind spreading the Porsche love by letting my friends do test drives. I think the base motor has plenty of power but it needs to be 2500 rpm or higher to really be making power. If you are just tooling around at 2k rpm and punch it you can tell it takes a couple of seconds to get the revs up and the turbo spooled. Once that happens though you will be at illegal speeds very quickly. I have no problems with the way the base motor makes power and the car is light enough that even light throttle feels quicker and more responsive than the Macan GTS that I traded in for the Cayman.

I like to drive my car pretty often and try to take it to work several times a week, even in the winter. Down here in the South as long as the temps aren't too cold I'll still take the Cayman but I do find myself using the heated steering wheel and seats. They are nice to have. I also like the Bose system if only for the extra volume and bass over the standard stereo. There's enough road noise at speed that the extra volume and bass presence from the Bose system are nice to have if you like to listen to music while you drive.

Anyway, good look on your search and let us know what you find.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:09 AM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

Cayman S, CPO with 5,000 miles - wanted a black car

Punch date such that I have 5 years of warranty left.

PASM, Bose, sports seats, biXenon with PDLS, manual,sport chrono and a few other options that I can't remember at this tiime
Old 03-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Jay Compton
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool video very informative..
Old 06-03-2020, 07:37 PM
CW1950
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank237
Great video; thanks for posting

Quick Reply: Cayman buying questions