Sponsored by:

2500 Miles and I am in love

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:27 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts
Default 2500 Miles and I am in love

Have now had my 2019 Base Boxster for 2.5 months and have just completed 2500 miles and I am in love.

Upgraded from a Miata 6MT 2016. Loved the Miata but for a DD felt tinny and definitely lacked power and when on the highway felt really isolated. Also started to get tired of the MT in stop and go traffic. Yes it was a lot of fun for throwing around on a country road but as a DD had its limitations. Decided it was time for a metamorphosis and the question is if it turned into a Boxster base would the Boxster turn into a butterfly or caterpillar.
The answer is a butterfly on super steroids and I am in love with the Boxster.

I love the solidness of the car and yet it feels only a little heavier and bulkier than the Miata. Like the Miata the steering is superb and it feels like it is on rails as I take the New Jersey jug handles. Actually the power range makes the bends even more fun and assured than in the Miata amazingly.

I opted for PDK and do not regret it for a second. It took a little getting used to and I had the hardest time with the downshifts to second and first when coming to yields and corners but I have got the hang of it and it is amazing. During those stop and go rides when I miss time the traffic I put it in auto and chill but when I am free to drive at will, into manual it goes and it is so smooth and responsive that it blows the mind. People say that PDK reads ones mind and I am not totally sure I agree with that and but in automatic it is very responsive but throw it into manual and it is all the joys of a MT without the foot clutch. (YMMV and IMHO)

The power of this car is amazing and while I am not afraid of speed, the NJ cops in my areas are ruthless and so I truly don't know what I would have done with the power of the S or anything higher than this. Ride the 3K and above and the power is swift and sollid, Ride the 4K range and this has the most amazing pickup and handling and ride the 5K and above and this has all the power and acceleration I could ever want off of the track.

I mostly keep it in sport. I make sure that the oil is at 180 and then all bets are off.

Biggest peeves

Not really a peeve but I am not getting the fuel consumption that is advertised but I know it is new and that plays a factor. Also I am quite sure that if I kept it in regular non sport automatic and kept it in auto with no accelerations and kept revs at or below 2K I could get 40 miles to the gallon but then I might as well buy a Camry because this car is not built for that

Next peeve is the driving below 30 miles an hour in the lower gears. Lots of 25 mile zones around my house and I don't diss other peoples hood and so in residential areas I do not speed and going 25 with starts and stops with revs in the 2K and below zone automatic or. manual makes lots of lurching and hiccuping by the car.

Final peeve was the 2K break in. It was absolute torture. Except for one or two booboos I kept it below 4K for the first 1500 miles, for the next 500 miles I occasionally peaked above 4Kand at 2K all bets are off. All I can say is that I am in love and am now screwed because my expectations are so high.
The following 5 users liked this post by craig66:
Guaji (09-14-2019), Miami Blue (09-14-2019), porschedood5000 (09-16-2019), SunnySF (09-23-2019), Z06jerry (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I'm also 2.5 months into a base Boxster, approaching 3K miles. Most fun I've had in a car (alone) since I was 17. I agree that the fun begins north of 3000 RPM. I got through break in by doing a lot of shifting between 3K and 4K (I have the MT. I also find myself using 1st and 2nd gear a lot in the slow zones. Gas milage? I solve that issue by not looking at the calculated value on the MFD.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:05 AM
boxster..s
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, my new 718 base Boxster is amazing. This is my fifth Porsche over 40 years and this is the best. I have had the car for three month and 4,000 miles and still learning how I can drive it. I got all the speed/ handing, safety options I could get in a base and happy I did. The car is my dd and may do some track time later. As a dd I plan to put 150,000 miles on it in 10 years and love every mile
Old 09-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

So refreshing! You are actually going to drive your car- and use it a lot. It might see rain. Wonderful!

Quick Reply: 2500 Miles and I am in love